Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trouble accessing my home router from interweb

• 30-08-2019 8:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

I run a few services on my network that I need to access from outside the home from time to time.

I've set up openvpn for this and port-forwarded the necessary ports on my (eir) router.

This worked fine in the past, but I didn't use it for a few months and now, it's not working.

Digging into it a bit, I find I cannot even ping my IP from outside. When I try to traceroute, it ends at an eir IP (not mine), as if firewalled.

Any thoughts on why this might be? I should at least be able to ping my IP, I would have thought?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Have you a fixed IP address with eir?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

Have you a fixed IP address with eir?

No, it’s dynamic, but hardly ever changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭CoBo55

meep wrote: »
    No, it’s dynamic, but hardly ever changes.

Looks like it has changed.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Looks like it has changed.

No, it hasn’t.

The ip is reported in the router UI, and that’s what I’m pinging. I also use DuckDNS which updates every 15 minutes. The ip hasn’t changed there in 4 months. Whatsmyip reports the same address.

That’s not the cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The router was likely updated, configure it again.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    The router was likely updated, configure it again.

Thanks for the idea. I had a look and all my configs are there as before and it reports IP same as it has been for months.

I'll try rebooting it to get a new IP, but I've had little luck with that in the past, even after waiting for hours. between off and on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭CoBo55

No, it hasn’t.

The ip is reported in the router UI, and that’s what I’m pinging. I also use DuckDNS which updates every 15 minutes. The ip hasn’t changed there in 4 months. Whatsmyip reports the same address.

That’s not the cause.

Would have been helpful had you said that in the op, rather than being so curt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

I have had similar experience with the eir f2000 in two different locations. When I first set up the port forward it worked fine for a while and then stopped. I changed openvpn to use a different port and then port forwarded that and all working again. I think it was originally on 1443 and when that stopped I changed to port 1194.

Not sure why it worked for a while and then stopped.

Lucifer wrote: »
    I have had similar experience with the eir f2000 in two different locations. When I first set up the port forward it worked fine for a while and then stopped. I changed openvpn to use a different port and then port forwarded that and all working again. I think it was originally on 1443 and when that stopped I changed to port 1194.

Not sure why it worked for a while and then stopped.

I can try that, but even a ping to the bare IP fails, and that's before any ports or port forwarding come in to the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I can try that, but even a ping to the bare IP fails, and that's before any ports or port forwarding come in to the equation.

In the F2000:

Internet > Network Security > ACL > ICMP (WAN)

Is that enabled?

• Advertisement

In the F2000:

Internet > Network Security > ACL > ICMP (WAN)

Is that enabled?

Hi

Thanks for that pointer. This had been enabled for LAN only. I added WAN, and it has enabled external pings to the IP. Progress, but OpenVPN or any other apps or services, including Traceroute, still cannot gain access.

I'll progress a reboot to see if I can force a different IP address.

Well, it took a full factory reset of the F2000 to resolve the issue. Even after the reset and a wait of >1 hr, Ive still got the same IP address, but now, magically, openVPN is working again. I guess there must have been some setting somewhere out of whack.

Thanks for all the tips and help.

Advertisement