Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsure about leaving a job so soon

Options
  • 30-08-2019 10:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi all,

Graduated last year, went straight from college into a contract job within the airport, that contract ended in September.

From Sept to June, I was unemployed. I got a job as a telephonist for a small company. I am not happy in this position for a few reasons and I think the best option is to leave.

I interviewed for a reception role in a company that is more suited to my interests/degree and I was offered the job yesterday. I don't know what to do.
    The contract for this new job is about 8 months (covering maternity leave), whereas my current position is ongoing (don't have a contract so still unsure :rolleyes:) pay is the same, however shifts are longer but the role is a lot more varied.

Would I be mad to leave my current job? I'm quite unhappy, but I'm afraid I'm looking at this new job through rose tinted glasses, I also don't like the idea of hopping from one job to another, but lifes too short right?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,180 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Always go with your gut I say.
    Whatever that is telling you :)

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I’d go with the new job. If you are young and don’t have kids and mortgage to pay for then it’s worth going for the job in your proferred area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Take the new job. No job is worth being miserable for. Get out of dodge, but try to finish on good terms rather than saying what you really feel, its better for references and in case you want to go back, none of us know what shape our economy will be in in 12 months time.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Take the new job. No point staying somewhere you hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Get the hell out of there!

Word of warning but if you know the phrase "out of the frying pan and into the fire..."? The new job may be worse. Have a look at maybe "your own" issues for hating the job but be careful not to internalise it if you happen to hate the new job too on account of a bad employer . You can just be unlucky. It may take another reshuffle to find a decent employer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 anniewilkes

antix80 wrote: »
    Get the hell out of there!

Word of warning but if you know the phrase "out of the frying pan and into the fire..."? The new job may be worse. Have a look at maybe "your own" issues for hating the job but be careful not to internalise it if you happen to hate the new job too on account of a bad employer . You can just be unlucky. It may take another reshuffle to find a decent employer.

Yes, I'm very worried about changing and it being worse!

The main reason I dislike the job is because of a co-worker, she has been training me in, toxic working environment, berating me constantly, negative towards me, I feel very uneasy around her, I thought I was being oversensitive or potentially doing a bad job, but the days she is not in, the day goes by flawlessly. The last 2 employees in my position both left within a month, so I don't think I am the issue here.

I've been informed by my new potential employer that I am required to get 2 references, 1 from my current place of employment - not sure I will be able to?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Your young, now is he time to try different things to find something you have a real graw for.
    Not later when there are added responsibility of mortgage, kids and god knows what.

If you think it would be better for you then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Go, embrace the new opportunity and put behind you the current situation and employer. Best of luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

They can't insist on a reference from a current employer. They can't insist on a reference from anybody any more. All an employer is obliged to say is "Person x worked here from X till Y".
    Otherwise, find a colleague you like and ask them if they'll be a reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They can't insist on a reference from a current employer. They can't insist on a reference from anybody any more.

But the new employer can refuse to hire you without one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement