Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Night rate or not.

• 30-08-2019 11:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭

I’ll soon be buying a 24 kw leaf with about 80% battery. This brings it down to 19.2 kw. As regards how much is useable or has to be charged up to each time.......maybe 18kw. Or am reading this all wrong.

I only do about 8000 km a year. I Work from home 2/3 days a week but would use car to go to gym when not going to work, kids things, Maybe to shops. So car could do 20k to 50km a day, depending on the day. Or maybe some days nothing at all :)

When working at home I have my 2 screens, docking station, hardware vpn and laptop etc powered on all day. My wife is a stay at home mum and is around the house most of the day and kids back from school at 12 and half 1........So during the winter especially a lot of heating on, washers, dryers, cookers etc .........a good bit of electricity being used.

Now I am Debating whether it’s worthwhile going to night rate electricity to charge my car at night.

What do ye think,?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's a no brainer. For a typical / average household without an EV and without switching anything deliberately to run during the cheaper night rate, you will more or less break even

If you have an EV, switch immediately. You not only save money, it's better for the environment too (as during the night Ireland generates a lot of wind electricity - at this very moment 60% of all our electricity needs is generated from zero emissions sources)

For further savings, try start appliances during night rate. Use (built-in) timers or just switch them on when the night rate is there. I almost always put the dish washer on after night rate starts. That one alone has a saving of about 10c per go. Family of 5 so it runs about 300 times a year. €30 saving and better for the environment. Better than a kick in the eye, no? :)

Trust me, ring your electricity provider on Monday. They will contact ESB who will schedule the install. It is completely free too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

unkel wrote: »
    It's a no brainer. For a typical / average household without an EV and without switching anything deliberately to run during the cheaper night rate, you will more or less break even

If you have an EV, switch immediately. You not only save money, it's better for the environment too (as during the night Ireland generates a lot of wind electricity - at this very moment 60% of all our electricity needs is generated from zero emissions sources)

For further savings, try start appliances during night rate. Use (built-in) timers or just switch them on when the night rate is there. I almost always put the dish washer on after night rate starts. That one alone has a saving of about 10c per go. Family of 5 so it runs about 300 times a year. €30 saving and better for the environment. Better than a kick in the eye, no? :)

Trust me, ring your electricity provider on Monday. They will contact ESB who will schedule the install. It is completely free too.

Right. Thought the fact that me home all day and the wife home all day may alter things.

Also, when you change to night rate, the ‘standing charge’ (I think this is what you call it) goes up by 50 Euro a year so another thing to factor in.

Right. Thought the fact that me home all day and the wife home all day may alter things.

Also, when you change to night rate, the ‘standing charge’ (I think this is what you call it) goes up by 50 Euro a year so another thing to factor in.

All those things are taken into account already. Trust me, switch and you will save significant money. We have covered that in this forum many times before.

• Moderators Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

You'd be surprised how little power your laptop and screens etc will use. Washing machine, Tumble drier, dishwasher are your high energy consumers. Just run them at night. And the car of course.

Rough calculation of charging a leaf doing 8k km a year is about 120 quid cheaper if you go night rate. Day rate only increases by 1c typically. In an average house that 1c increase amounts to about 30 euro more a year, but then that's not taking into account the energy usage at night.
    Long story short, it's cheaper.

You'd be surprised how little power your laptop and screens etc will use. Washing machine, Tumble drier, dishwasher are your high energy consumers. Just run them at night. And the car of course.

Rough calculation of charging a leaf doing 8k km a year is about 120 quid cheaper if you go night rate. Day rate only increases by 1c typically. In an average house that 1c increase amounts to about 30 euro more a year, but then that's not taking into account the energy usage at night.

120 quid cheaper but then the standing charge increases by 50. So overall gain of 70 Euro. Not to be sniffed at........but if I sacrifice 1 night out or a meal
    out, I have made it back ;)

If I was to charge an electric car and run dishwasher, washing machine and dryer at night and they are all on at the same time for certain periods, will this put extra pressure on the fuse board etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭adunis

Also if you are with electric Ireland you will get 150euro credit for get this..........
    Moving to electric Ireland.

If you already have a digital meter nice man will come fiddle with a phone app and that it all done,swapping out an older meter won't take an hour

120 quid cheaper but then the standing charge increases by 50. So overall gain of 70 Euro. Not to be sniffed at........but if I sacrifice 1 night out or a meal
    out, I have made it back ;)

If I was to charge an electric car and run dishwasher, washing machine and dryer at night and they are all on at the same time for certain periods, will this put extra pressure on the fuse board etc.

So for the sake of a phone call, you're not bothered saving at least 70 quid? The more you drive the wider that savings margin becomes too.

As for the load, you should be ok. Main fuse can take about 15kw being pulled through it. Car will take 7kw, washing machine might take 2kw when heating water, and I guess it depends on the tumble dryer, but mine uses a steady ~600w for the entirety of its cycle. At best you're up to 10kw + the base load from your house, which at night should be a few standby devices and your fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

No offence…. BUT really I wanna see and meet one of you guys that runs washing and dishes and all that noisy machinery in the kitchen at night !!!
    I hate the coffee grinder noise at 6am , not even talking about spinning machinery... dreams !!!

So for the sake of a phone call, you're not bothered saving at least 70 quid? The more you drive the wider that savings margin becomes too.

As for the load, you should be ok. Main fuse can take about 15kw being pulled through it. Car will take 7kw, washing machine might take 2kw when heating water, and I guess it depends on the tumble dryer, but mine uses a steady ~600w for the entirety of its cycle. At best you're up to 10kw + the base load from your house, which at night should be a few standby devices and your fridge.

True enough.

My meter is not digital, it's the old school type.

Is it true that to switch back from night saver to standard that you have to pay a fee?

I am in a rented house so if I were to leave I would probably have to revert to the standard meter and there may be a fee involved?

• Administrators Posts: 14,461 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

We recently got a night meter. We also changed supplier as we were out of contract with our old supplier. The day rate we got on switching, with the night meter, was significantly less than the day rate we were paying without the meter.

• Advertisement

rolion wrote: »
    No offence…. BUT really I wanna see and meet one of you guys that runs washing and dishes and all that noisy machinery in the kitchen at night !!!
    I hate the coffee grinder noise at 6am , not even talking about spinning machinery... dreams !!!

I run my washing machine and tumble dryer in the shed actually. Only noise I hear from the dishwasher is the beep it makes when it finishes... So I close the door.

True enough.

My meter is not digital, it's the old school type.

Is it true that to switch back from night saver to standard that you have to pay a fee?

I am in a rented house so if I were to leave I would probably have to revert to the standard meter and there may be a fee involved?

If you're renting and looking to put in a night meter, consult your landlord first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's worth remembering that advice from the fire officer says not to run these appliances after you go to bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

rolion wrote: »

Washing machine and dryer are in the utility, 3 doors between there and my bed. Dishwasher is integrated in the kitchen and is surprisingly quiet when sitting in the room never mind 2 doors away.

Washing machine and dryer are in the utility, 3 doors between there and my bed. Dishwasher is integrated in the kitchen and is surprisingly quiet when sitting in the room never mind 2 doors away.

Safer place for them from a fire safety point of view too

If you're renting and looking to put in a night meter, consult your landlord first.

Yep.

I know you can change to a night meter for free (well, standing charge increases by 50)

But to go back to the normal meter, anyone know if it involves a fee?

120 quid cheaper but then the standing charge increases by 50. So overall gain of 70 Euro.

No. You break even without doing anything. That 50 standing charge is already in the break even. If you don't change anything and charge your EV at night:

So if you do 20k km per year and your EV uses say 16kWh / 100km, than you use 200 * 16 = 3200kWh per year for your EV

Night rate is 10c cheaper per unit, so pure savings of €320 per year

Like I said, this really doesn't need to be discussed / questioned here time and time again. It's a no brainer. If you can't / don't want to do the sums yourself, just take our word for it.

I don’t doubt it makes sense for people doing high mileage. I only do 8000 km a year and then with my particular situation of having someone in the house all
    day every day using electricity, I’m just wondering how worthwhile it is.

Yep.

I know you can change to a night meter for free (well, standing charge increases by 50)

But to go back to the normal meter, anyone know if it involves a fee?

I think it's like €200

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Most of my stuff is on at night (washing machine and dryer are out in a concrete shed) as well as all the phone chargers etc. I've started setting my slow oven to come on at night aswell. Only thing i don't put on at night is the dishwasher. Apparently they're the most likely thing to go up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

antodeco wrote: »
    Most of my stuff is on at night (washing machine and dryer are out in a concrete shed) as well as all the phone chargers etc. I've started setting my slow oven to come on at night aswell. Only thing i don't put on at night is the dishwasher. Apparently they're the most likely thing to go up!

A phone would use less than €1 electricity a year.

I think it's like €200

Oh feck. That is a lot. Could wipe out any savings. Is this only paid if you decided to change back to standard meter before 1 year or something? Tis a bit of a cod in fairness. 200 Euro to switch back !!

The main reason you break even so easily is your fridge. A large one uses about 200W. So it alone uses 2 units on the night rate per 24/7 (you need roughly 3 units to break even for the night rate). That and stuff like putting on the kettle late at night or early in the morning. Watching tele at night or early, etc. Night rate is on for 9 hours a day. Most people I know sleep a lot less than that!

Oh feck. That is a lot. Could wipe out any savings. Is this only paid if you decided to change back to standard meter before 1 year or something? Tis a bit of a cod in fairness. 200 Euro to switch back !!

Why would you change back? As I've explained, even without an EV you break even. It doesn't cost anything to change over and keep changed over. And whatever your circumstances, you won't benefit from changing back.

It's starting to be a bit of a moot point anyway as the ESB will move everyone over to smart meters over the next few years. I'm expecting night rate to become even cheaper than it is now, day time rates around noon to become very cheap to and massive increases in the early to mid evening electricity prices over the next 5 years or so.

Why would you change back? As I've explained, even without an EV you break even. It doesn't cost anything to change over and keep changed over. And whatever your circumstances, you won't benefit from changing back.

It's starting to be a bit of a moot point anyway as the ESB will move everyone over to smart meters over the next few years. I'm expecting night rate to become even cheaper than it is now, day time rates around noon to become very cheap to and massive increases in the early to mid evening electricity prices over the next 5 years or so.

Rented house. When I leave - May have to revert it back to standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It's worth remembering that advice from the fire officer says not to run these appliances after you go to bed.

Can you show me something from within the last 10 or 15 years which actually says that?

Modern dishwashers, washing machines etc. all come with specific features designed to delay them or run them on night rate electricity.

I hear the above occasionally but with respect consider this to be an urban myth. Could you actually provide a link or reference by any chance?

catharsis wrote: »
    Can you show me something from within the last 10 or 15 years which actually says that?

Modern dishwashers, washing machines etc. all come with specific features designed to delay them or run them on night rate electricity.

I hear the above occasionally but with respect consider this to be an urban myth. Could you actually provide a link or reference by any chance?

I'm not saying don't use these appliances at night to benefit from the cheaper rates. I'm just saying that the official advice is not to run them when you leave the house or while you are in bed.

https://www.housing.gov.ie/community/fire-and-emergency-management/fire-safety/kitchen

"Electrical Appliances
    Electrical appliances cause a number of domestic fires every year.
    Make sure that all electrical appliances are properly maintained and installed by a qualified person.
    Never overload electric sockets as it is a major fire hazard.
    Contact an electrician if cables are worn or damaged or simply replace the item.
    Avoid leaving them operating overnight. If you intend to leave them operating overnight then they should be in rooms separated from the main escape route by a closed door.
    In the event of a fire which is in an electrical appliance or socket/wiring, turn off the power at the main isolation switch but only if this can be done safely without delaying the escape"

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/electrical-appliances-a-fire-risk-when-youre-out-of-house-says-senior-fireman-464566.html

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/jan/11/kitchen-flames-domestic-appliances

If you intend to leave them operating overnight then they should be in rooms separated from the main escape route by a closed door.

That's nearly always the case though, isn't it?

Washing machine, dish washer etc. always in kitchen or in utility room off kitchen. Kitchen door is closed. You can go down from upstairs bedrooms down the stairs into the hall and out the front door, that's your main escape route.

In other words, perfectly safe to leave them operate overnight in that scenario. And of course all houses have smoke alarms on all floors.

I’ll soon be buying a 24 kw leaf with about 80% battery. This brings it down to 19.2 kw. As regards how much is useable or has to be charged up to each time.......maybe 18kw. Or am reading this all wrong.

I only do about 8000 km a year. I Work from home 2/3 days a week but would use car to go to gym when not going to work, kids things, Maybe to shops. So car could do 20k to 50km a day, depending on the day. Or maybe some days nothing at all :)

When working at home I have my 2 screens, docking station, hardware vpn and laptop etc powered on all day. My wife is a stay at home mum and is around the house most of the day and kids back from school at 12 and half 1........So during the winter especially a lot of heating on, washers, dryers, cookers etc .........a good bit of electricity being used.

Now I am Debating whether it’s worthwhile going to night rate electricity to charge my car at night.

What do ye think,?

Based on my 24 kw battery and battery health etc. How much would it cost me to charge my cars battery from let’s say 20% to full on (a) night rate. (b) standard rate.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    Washing machine, dish washer etc. always in kitchen or in utility room off kitchen. Kitchen door is closed. You can go down from upstairs bedrooms down the stairs into the hall and out the front door, that's your main escape route.

My kitchen door isn't a fire door. I'm not sure if new houses have fire doors or not. You could be passed out with smoke long before fire gets anywhere near you.

Bottom line is the official advice in almost every developed country in the world in not to run appliances while in bed. I've nothing against night rate. I'm literally just throwing in a safety warning. It would be very wrong to let people believe that it's 100 percent safe. I run appliances when I'm out. I'm not saying don't do. I'm just saying that we should be careful. Every year manicures recall washing machine, dishwasher, and tumble dryers due to fire risks. There are several recalls here in Ireland this year from leading brands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

catharsis wrote: »

Far from it, a major applicance manufacturer is in the process of doing recal/repairs/refunds for dryers, too many went up in flames from design features.

That's nearly always the case though, isn't it?

In other words, perfectly safe to leave them operate overnight in that scenario. And of course all houses have smoke alarms on all floors.

Assuming the washing machine or appliance isnt right next to a neighbour from a noise perspective, a lot of places noise liek that would travel and be more noticeable at night, added to that, in most cases, bedrooms are right above or very near to kitchens below them, the problem Id hazard a reasonable guess is that people dont wake before they are killed by smoke/asphyxiation.

unkel wrote:

Not to be argumentative but I'm in 5 to 8 homes every day and the vast majority of rented accommodation I see that the battery has been removed by the tenants. Many rented places have no smoke alarms at all. I'd guess that more than half of rented accommodation either has no alarms at all or the battery has been removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭green123

The main reason you break even so easily is your fridge. A large one uses about 200W. So it alone uses 2 units on the night rate per 24/7 (you need roughly 3 units to break even for the night rate). That and stuff like putting on the kettle late at night or early in the morning. Watching tele at night or early, etc. Night rate is on for 9 hours a day. Most people I know sleep a lot less than that!

I was wondering about your earlier post in this thread about how most people would break even without an electric car or without switching appliances to run at night.

It didn't make sense to me and now you say the main reason is the fridge it still doesn't make sense.

I think you have made a mistake with how much electricity a fridge/freezer uses.

I had a look at powercity and argos to see how much electricity a normal fridge/freezer uses.

They only use about 250 or 300 units per year.
    Less than 1 unit per day.
    So only about a quarter or maybe a third of a unit would be used during the night rate hours.

I even checked a few of the monster American style fridges and they still only use just over 400 units per year.

Based on this, most people would be nowhere near the 3 units you say is necessary to break even by switching.

My kitchen door isn't a fire door.

You said closed door, not fire door.
    Not to be argumentative but I'm in 5 to 8 homes every day and the vast majority of rented accommodation I see that the battery has been removed by the tenants.

If they have that little regard for their own safety, running an appliance during the night is the least of their worries.

Personally I feel it is more dangerous to cross the road at my local zebra crossing. Which has a speed bump, road narrowing and flashing yellow lights than to put on my dishwasher after midnight. When was the last time someone in Ireland died from a dish washer going on fire during the night?

• Advertisement

green123 wrote: »
    I was wondering about your earlier post in this thread about how most people would break even without an electric car or without switching appliances to run at night.

It didn't make sense to me and now you say the main reason is the fridge it still doesn't make sense.

I think you have made a mistake with how much electricity a fridge/freezer uses.

I had a look at powercity and argos to see how much electricity a normal fridge/freezer uses.

They only use about 250 or 300 units per year.
    Less than 1 unit per day.
    So only about a quarter or maybe a third of a unit would be used during the night rate hours.

I even checked a few of the monster American style fridges and they still only use just over 400 units per year.

Based on this, most people would be nowhere near the 3 units you say is necessary to break even by switching.

I'm not going to argue with you about how much a particular fridge uses :p

And even though I was aware I would break even more or less switching to night rate, I never did. Until I got an EV. Do you get this point?

If not, let me put it to you this way. If you do 22k km in your EV per year and you are a typical / average household, then your electricity use will double!

Average house uses 3.5MWh per year. Above EV at 16kWh/100 km doing 22k km will use 3.5MWh per year

Can we please put this thread to sleep? If you don't own an EV, don't bother with the night rate. If you do own an EV, you'd be an imbecile not to chance to night rate. End of story.

I'm not going to argue with you about how much a particular fridge uses :p

And even though I was aware I would break even more or less switching to night rate, I never did. Until I got an EV. Do you get this point?

If not, let me put it to you this way. If you do 22k km in your EV per year and you are a typical / average household, then your electricity use will double!

Average house uses 3.5MWh per year. Above EV at 16kWh/100 km doing 22k km will use 3.5MWh per year

Can we please put this thread to sleep? If you don't own an EV, don't bother with the night rate. If you do own an EV, you'd be an imbecile not to chance to night rate. End of story.

I am specifically talking about your statements about switching to night rates without an electric vehicle or without adjusting appliance use.

I am not talking about a particular fridge. I am talking about most fridges. You have made a mistake on how much electricity the average fridge uses.

You have also made a mistake saying :

"average household without an EV and without switching anything deliberately to run during the cheaper night rate, you will more or less break even"

That is wrong.
    The average household will not more or less break even in that case.

The average household will be worse off because they will have to pay a higher standing charge and a higher daytime rate and will benefit very little during the night
    (because fridges don't use as much electricity as some people think and because the average household doesn't run appliances at night)

Black_Knight has it figured out for you tom.

Save 120 charging car on night rate.

But 50 extra standing charge plus 30 extra for average family = 80 extra

So 40 euro saving but..

The average family wouldn't be home as much as your family so less than 40 saving.
    Maybe 20 or 30 saving per year.

Plus as you are renting the possibility of having to pay 200? to change back.

So 40 euro saving but..

The average family wouldn't be home as much as your family so less than 40 saving.

This is where I am coming from. Is it really worthwhile for my scenario to do this?

This is where I am coming from. Is it really worthwhile for my scenario to do this?

It's all about the switching back issue.

If the 200 switching back figure is correct and if the landlord insists on switching back then no it's not worth it.

• Advertisement

Jaysus give me strength. I have used all the patience I have dealing with some of the posters in here. If you want to overpay, just go ahead lads. Me and all the other EV owners in this forum on the night rate will gladly keep saving money and contribute to a better environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,797 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I understand that switching back is 50 euro.

Also night rate when you have an EV is the biggest no brainer going.

Jaysus give me strength. I have used all the patience I have dealing with some of the posters in here. If you want to overpay, just go ahead lads. Me and all the other EV owners in this forum on the night rate will gladly keep saving money and contribute to a better environment.

You make it sound like there's thousands in the difference like it's a huge financial mistake and a "no brainer".

In this particular case it's only about 20 euro a year in the difference.

You are getting annoyed now because you have been proved to be wrong about switching (and about fridges)

You make it sound like there's thousands in the difference like it's a huge financial mistake and a "no brainer".

In this particular case it's only about 20 euro a year in the difference.

You are getting annoyed now because you have been proved to be wrong about switching (and about fridges)

Eh yeah. I've been proved wrong. Stay on the day rate if you have an EV and you will save money. Not. :rolleyes:

For anyone reading this, follow a fool's advice or follow someone who knows what they are talking about and who can actually do some basic maths. Up to you.

Eh yeah. I've been proved wrong. Stay on the day rate if you have an EV and you will save money. Not. :rolleyes:

For anyone reading this, follow a fool's advice or follow someone who knows what they are talking about and who can actually do some basic maths. Up to you.

You have been proved wrong about fridges not using as much electricity as you thought.
    You were the one who got the basic maths wrong.

You have been proved wrong about people breaking even by switching to night rates without evs and without adjusting appliance usage. Again you got the basic maths wrong.

For some strange reason to suit your own agenda you keep quoting much bigger mileages than the op has said he is doing. Again you are wrong to do this.

Nobody said that the op will save money staying on the day rate, so you are misunderstanding that piece of advice and you are wrong again.

It's also wrong of you to call me a fool when everything i have said makes perfect sense

Here's the problem posters might have with the mantra that everyone breaks even with the night rate even without an EV. I have enquired about the night rate with my last two providers. They both insist that it will cost me more to use night rate unless I have storage heaters or an EV.

When you get this advice from your provider you can imagine how some people have doubts.

Based on my 24 kw battery and battery health (80%) etc. How much would it cost me to charge my cars battery from let’s say 20% to full on (a) night rate. (b) standard rate.

any comment on this one?

any comment on this one?

It's simple math. 20% would mean 19.2kw required. Say 20kw for losses during charging.
    Day rates are what, 18c? Night rates are 8c?
    There's €2 in the difference.

So 40 euro saving but..

You reduced the savings because the op wouldn't be at home as much as the average family, but didn't reduce the additional cost of running stuff during the day based on being at the home less.

You've ignored all the night time base load in the house too. From what I've read the average is around 1/3 your energy usage is at night. In fact, I've just switched over to a new meter and I can pretty much confirm that (no night time charging or washing/drying was part of this). I was basing my average Irish usage on 4200kw per year, so on average 1400kw are used during the night. Savings at 10c per kWh =€140. €30 extra for day usage is €110. This 110 savings is all dependant on how much electricity you use in total, and if you run a few things at night savings can increase. Add the electric car, that's €230 total. 50 standing charge brings us to €190 total savings based on an average house energy usage driving 8k km a year.

It's simple math. 20% would mean 19.2kw required. Say 20kw for losses during charging.
    Day rates are what, 18c? Night rates are 8c?
    There's €2 in the difference.

Thanks. So my battery will have lost about 25% of its capacity from new. So 24kw -25% = 18kw of battery to be charged. Is this correct or am I taking it up wrong?

• Advertisement
Advertisement