Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Night rate or not.

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Goldmark

Energia Day Rate 14.24c excl VAT Night Rate 6.83c excl VAT 35% discount for new customers or old customers that they chase after as you are leaving

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

I go the night meter installed on the 14th November.
    Since install, I run the dishwasher and washing machine at night and obviously charge the car

have been checking it on and off but today reading is:

Day = 147 kWh
    Night = 163 kWh

Does this sound about right? more so on the ratio side of things, that the night is more than the day consumption etc

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Since install, I run the dishwasher and washing machine at night and obviously charge the car

Day = 147 kWh
    Night = 163 kWh

Does this sound about right? more so on the ratio side of things, that the night is more than the day consumption etc

My last meter read was 1126 Day and 2124 night. More night rate units the better.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    My last meter read was 1126 Day and 2124 night. More night rate units the better.

thanks, your ratio is way better than mine. almost double.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

thanks, your ratio is way better than mine. almost double.

It's possible I do more mileage than you so that might be part of it. Have an electric shower too which generally gets used more often than not during night rate. Apart from that washing machine and dishwasher are the only other things, which you already do by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Day = 147 kWh
    Night = 163 kWh

Well done. You are saving yourself €25 per month and night use is much better for the environment.

unkel wrote: »
    Well done. You are saving yourself €25 per month and night use is much better for the environment.

Thanks. The 25 euro. Did you work that out based on my figures or is it just a general rule of thumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Thanks. The 25 euro. Did you work that out based on my figures or is it just a general rule of thumb.
    I'd say he's taking the kWh you use at night, multiplying by the 24hour rate, taking the kWh you use at night and multiplying by the night rate and then subtracting the two to find the savings.

Based on your figures. You saved yourself 163 night rate units * €0.10 cheaper. The day rate units are 1c more expensive now, so you are losing 147 * €0.01. Also the standing charge is about €1 per week more, so you lost another €2 there

€16.30 - €1.47 - €2 = €12.83 for less than 2 weeks your meter is in, so saving of over €25 per month

Not sure why it took you well over 2 months to follow my advice though :p

• Advertisement

Based on your figures. You saved yourself 163 night rate units * €0.10 cheaper. The day rate units are 1c more expensive now, so you are losing 147 * €0.01. Also the standing charge is about €1 per week more, so you lost another €2 there

€16.30 - €1.47 - €2 = €12.83 for less than 2 weeks your meter is in, so saving of over €25 per month

Not sure why it took you well over 2 months to follow my advice though :p

I was suspicious of you. lol :)

fair enough on the figures, thanks.

You owe me a few pints :p

on my charging, its a 24kw leaf. we are using it more and more :) the other car is having a good rest these days :)
    As I knew before buying the range is not spectacular on these

I tend to charge it every single night now, even if its only gone down to 50%. Just to be sure that when tomorrow comes that ill have enough range to get where I want to go. its actually herself that uses it a lot now for shopping, kids things etc, so each day is different depending on where she wants to go (so not a predicable commute every day etc)
    some days could be 20km, other days could be 90km, so because of this I just charge every night regardless.

Is this any harm? charging when only down to 50% etc and charging every night (and sometimes a top up during the day via a close by 22kw)

note: 95% of charging is done via 3 pin plug on externally fitted weatherproof socket.

Charging every day is fine. Would you not get a dedicated type 2 charger installed though? You will get €600 subsidy for it. Some people have bought the charger themselves and got an electrician to fit and they have spent less than €600, so basically got it for free.

Charging every day is fine. Would you not get a dedicated type 2 charger installed though? You will get €600 subsidy for it. Some people have bought the charger themselves and got an electrician to fit and they have spent less than €600, so basically got it for free.

oh without a doubt, id have it in in a heartbeat, just im in a rented house and will move in a few months, so dont want to waste the grant or put the landlord out too much etc etc

on my charging, its a 24kw leaf. we are using it more and more :) the other car is having a good rest these days :)

And next you'll be wondering why it took so long to move to the other side. The reality of a sufficent range for you EV with home charging is that there are no drawbacks.

We do the same as as you, i.e. always charge if there is less than 50 percent of the battery left unless 99% sure the car won't be needed at all the next day. Leaving the car sitting at 100% for extra day(s) should be avoided.

• Advertisement

I too charge the car when the range is down to about 100km (under 50%). This is not every day for me though, only every 2-3 days. If I had a second hand Leaf with only 100km range at best, then I would charge it every day.
    its a 24kw leaf. we are using it more and more :) the other car is having a good rest these days :)

You're not alone. Nearly every household with two cars that have replaced one of them with an EV is like that. Driving an EV is so easy and relaxed, and it costs near nothing. People tend to prefer it over their other car!

I never leave the car at 100% for long :)
    With the limited range of my particular leaf, (less than 100km in this weather) I essentially need to charge every single night even if at 50% battery, but as long as its no harm (and seems to be ok) this is fine with me.

when I work out the maths, I tend to go drive the leaf.
    a 40km round trip in the diesel (with some traffic thrown in) can be lets say 6.3 litres per 100km. 6.3 x 1.32 = 8.316 x 40% = 3.32 Euro
    leaf is about 20kwh (worst case) per 100 km. 18 x 0.0846 = 1.692 x 40% = 67 cent

so about 5 times cheaper.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I got my new meter installed yesterday, only rang about it Friday!

I presume i am on the new tarrrifs straight away now?

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I got my new meter installed yesterday, only rang about it Friday!

I presume i am on the new tarrrifs straight away now?

Yup, should be immediate pretty much.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You owe me a few pints :p

Potential Savings €50 per month.
    unkels monthly pints allowance €47.50

Your still saving :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement