If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG 49SK8500 poor Dolby Vision picture

Options
  • 30-08-2019 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi Lads,

Got this TV from you just under a year ago and all was grand but recently noticed the picture quality has gotten really poor when it switches to Dolby Vision mode in Netflix app (basically dark scenes are hazy and panel seems to be constantly adjusting brightness). I've turned local dimming off (which should make it better, as too eye Motion Eye Care) and now I'm wondering if the panel has developed a fault?

I've googled screen calibration this TV and tried all types of settings, dark scenes just really poor.

Brightly lit scenes are the complete opposite, crystal clear.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Robert

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

RDMH wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Got this TV from you just under a year ago and all was grand but recently noticed the picture quality has gotten really poor when it switches to Dolby Vision mode in Netflix app (basically dark scenes are hazy and panel seems to be constantly adjusting brightness). I've turned local dimming off (which should make it better, as too eye Motion Eye Care) and now I'm wondering if the panel has developed a fault?

I've googled screen calibration  this TV and tried all types of settings, dark scenes just really poor.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Robert
    Hi Robert.

Sorry to hear you are not happy with the picture quality of the Dolby Vision from Netflix.
    Did you watch any other Dolby Vision content before the Netflix stuff?
    It could perhaps be the broadcast/stream that Netflix are putting out.
    I watch a lot of content via Netflix myself on my OLED and on dark backgrounds on a lot of their content the pixellation and movement is very noticeable but if I watch a Blu Ray or 4K movie its nearly reduced to Zero.

You could perhaps contact LG directly for some trouble shooting, they will be able to talk you through the settings while you have the TV in front of you.
    You can get them on 03448475454.

They will know the product inside out.

Let me know the outcome and if there think there is a fault we can arrange for an engineer to call out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭RDMH

Hi Lads,

I've googled screen calibration  this TV and tried all types of settings, dark scenes just really poor.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Robert
    Hi Robert.

Sorry to hear you are not happy with the picture quality of the Dolby Vision from Netflix.
    I watch a lot of content via Netflix myself on my OLED and on dark backgrounds on a lot of their content the pixellation and movement is very noticeable but if I watch a Blu Ray or 4K movie its nearly reduced to Zero.

You could perhaps contact LG directly for some trouble shooting, they will be able to talk you through the settings while you have the TV in front of you.

Let me know the outcome and if there think there is a fault we can arrange for an engineer to call out to you.
    Thanks, I've an LG OLED TV too and no such issues, it's almost like having your phone on auto brightness with screen resolution struggling to cope with well lit dark scenes if that makes any sense. It's not the feed from Netflix, they have other 4k content that's fine and even normal HD content is fine. HDR content on Amazon Prime is also perfect, it's just Dolby Vision that it's struggling with.

I'll give LG a call to see what they say. 

Cheers

Hi Lads,

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Robert
    Hi Robert.

Thanks, I've an LG OLED TV too and no such issues, it's almost like having your phone on auto brightness with screen resolution struggling to cope with well lit dark scenes if that makes any sense. It's not the feed from Netflix, they have other 4k content that's fine and even normal HD content is fine. HDR content on Amazon Prime is also perfect, it's just Dolby Vision that it's struggling with.

I'll give LG a call to see what they say. 

Cheers
    No worries Robert.

Let us know what they say.

If they say there could be an issue please ask them for a reference number so we can tie it up with the engineer should he have to call out to you.
    These details can be emailed to our service guys at Service@Richersounds.ie

No worries Robert.

If they say there could be an issue please ask them for a reference number so we can tie it up with the engineer should he have to call out to you.

Will do.

No worries Robert.

Will do.
    Keep me posted.

• Advertisement

No worries Robert.

Will do.
    Keep me posted.
    Hi Kenny, just sent an email to the service email address you provided above. I've tried everything to resolve this but eventually had to call LG as you recommend and they are unable to do anything else as all settings are correct. Look forward to hearing from you soon and getting this fixed once and for all.

No worries Robert.

Will do.
    Keep me posted.
    Hi Kenny, just sent an email to the service email address you provided above. I've tried everything to resolve this but eventually had to call LG as you recommend and they are unable to do anything else as all settings are correct. Look forward to hearing from you soon and getting this fixed once and for all.
    Hi RDMH.

I will try and get our service guys to deal with this ASAP for you.

They will arrange for an engineer to call out and drop you a call to say they have done so.

No worries Robert.

Will do.
    Keep me posted.
    Hi RDMH.

They will arrange for an engineer to call out and drop you a call to say they have done so.
    Cheers.

Thanks for the help.

No worries RDMH.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 davidhand365

No worries Robert.

Will do.
    Keep me posted.
    Hi RDMH.

Cheers.

Thanks for the help.
    Hi RDMH,

I actually have this exact same problem on the 55 inch version of this model!

Its been that way with Dolby Vision / Netflix since day 1 for me and have yet to find anything on the internet about it.

the example you gave about a mobile phone/auto brightness is the perfect description 

Any advice you get would be appreciated!

• Advertisement

No worries Robert.

Will do.
    Keep me posted.
    Hi RDMH.

Cheers.

Thanks for the help.
    Hi RDMH,

I actually have this exact same problem on the 55 inch version of this model!

Its been that way with Dolby Vision / Netflix since day 1 for me and have yet to find anything on the internet about it.

the example you gave about a mobile phone/auto brightness is the perfect description 

Any advice you get would be appreciated!
    Hi DavidHand365.

If you also purchased this TV from us please drop an email to our service guys at Service@Richersounds.ie

With your full name and address and they can locate you on our system.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Hi davidhand365,

Please take a moment to read the Charter for this forum which is focussed on queries and interaction with Richersounds, as opposed to discussion/queries with other Boardies - the Home Entertainment forums on Boards is a more suitable location for that.

If you have a similar query with a tv you’ve purchased from Richersounds, then contacting them as advised above by Kenny is the way to go.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Company Representative Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

The Ritz wrote: »
    Mod Comment

Hi davidhand365,

Please take a moment to read the Charter for this forum which is focussed on queries and interaction with Richersounds, as opposed to discussion/queries with other Boardies - the Home Entertainment forums on Boards is a more suitable location for that.

If you have a similar query with a tv you’ve purchased from Richersounds, then contacting them as advised above by Kenny is the way to go.

Cheers,

Ritz.
    Thanks Ritz!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.