Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Formatting time for 10TB

• 31-08-2019 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi there, I've just purchased a WD Red 10TB internal SATA drive and I'm full-formatting it with one partition under Windows 10. However, after 9 hours of formatting, Disk Management reports that only 2% of the format has been completed. Does anyone have any idea how long a full format of this drive should take? Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Why are you doing a full format? Just do a quick one, shouldn't take more than a minute or two

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Inviere

Hi there, I've just purchased a WD Red 10TB internal SATA drive and I'm full-formatting it with one partition under Windows 10. However, after 9 hours of formatting, Disk Management reports that only 2% of the format has been completed. Does anyone have any idea how long a full format of this drive should take? Thanks in advance!

For a brand new drive, I think a Quick Format is best advised....there's zero need to do a full format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I don't know how long a format under Windows should take, but formatting a 10TB drive on Linux usually takes a little over a day, so 9 hours for 2% sounds... very slow.

I'd cancel that, do a quick format, then run HDTune or something on it just to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I've 2 10TB NAS drives in my server which runs Windows.

Did a quick format on both when I got them - It was less than a minute on both I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭michaelpwilson

Thanks for all of your replies. I wanted to do the full format to verify if there were bad sectors. Will HDTune report these for me once I perform a quick format? Are there any other utilities for this that you could recommend? Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

There are others. HDTune is what I've used with Windows machines in the past. Quick format to get it showing up in Windows, then you can run a full test. You'll see all the drive sectors fill up green (if good) or red (if bad) over time. Very obvious to see if there are any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

HDTune isn't really testing the surface. Tools like Spinrite do that but will take many hours. Say it's 3x r 3x w that's 60TB of transfer.

Advertisement