Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scan denying warranty repair

Options
  • 31-08-2019 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

X399 board sent in for RMA. Scan sent back the following claiming warranty void:
    (exposed copper on top-left of screw hole)
    Ic6NANMh.jpg

Now, I don't know if I was the one to cause this (I took a before picture of the socket just in case they were going to continue their old trick of bending CPU pins, not the whole board), but my understanding is that the raised area around screw holes is deliberately left free of traces so that this can happen without causing damage.

They're saying warranty void, but if I sign a waiver, they'll send it on to ASRock anyway for free.

I think this is bull. Am I actually right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Inviere

Serephucus wrote: »
    I think this is bull. Am I actually right?

I think those areas are left free of any traces as you say, to deliberately avoid causing a short. The solder blobs are ground points iirc, so if the copper is making contact with the screw, and in turn, ground, then whatever that copper is connected to will be being grounded. I wouldn't imagine it's connected to anything though, and if anything, is meant to be grounded.

What was the problem with the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Couple of iffy DIMM slots. Since swapped to a new board and all's good again, I was just hoping to get this back before the return window on the new board ran out...

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

Similar happened with to me with SCAN. with a 500 quid monitor 6 weeks old...
    Personally would not ever deal with them again

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Fight back, they may be just trying a first fob off to see if you go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,676 ✭✭✭Inviere

ED E wrote: »
    Fight back, they may be just trying a first fob off to see if you go away.

Agreed, stand firm on it and argue that one. I'd involve PayPal if I had to (or your credit card company for a chargeback).

• Advertisement

Tried. Wouldn't budge. Signed whatever yoke it was. Board is off to ASRock, adding weeks to this whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If it helps the LPC failure and replacement was, IIRC, done by AsrockRack themselves and processed pretty fast (10 days, again IIRC).

Yeah, when I sent my C2750D4I in, turn-around was around a week or so as well.
    The guy I spoke to knew full well that policy was bull**** (or at least gave a very good impression he thought that) in fairness, but hoestly I'd be put off buying any components from Scan again after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

Serephucus wrote: »
    Now, I don't know if I was the one to cause this (I took a before picture of the socket just in case they were going to continue their old trick of bending CPU pins, not the whole board), but my understanding is that the raised area around screw holes is deliberately left free of traces so that this can happen without causing damage.
    Were it me, I'd not sweat it. I'd say it's fine.

Those solder blobs around the screw hole should be connected to the board Gnd. I'd be very surprised if that exposed copper isn't grounded too, which means you should have no issue.

That solder around the screw holes is what provides the electrical connection to Gnd of the whole metal surface of the case. (All exposed metal surfaces in any electrical appliance have to grounded for safety reasons)

You could buzz it with a multi-meter if you've got one just to confirm.

EDIT: I see you've already sent it off.

I'm 100% sure the scratch isn't the issue, but the RAM slots are still dead, so need to get those fixed anyway. I had swapped the RAM around, but I was getting boot issues after a couple of weeks with the RAM in the other slots.

It's been up and running for over three weeks with no issues, so it looks like it isn't the CPU's IMC, which is a relief (though it would be a much easier swap)

• Advertisement
Advertisement