Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent a room

Options
  • 31-08-2019 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

A company pays for an employee to rent a room in your house, and insists on paying for 3 months in advance every 3 months.

The payment in December is for December and then also for Jan and Feb of the next year.

That payment if completely allocated to the current year would essentially place the landlord over 14,000 for the year.

Is this an issue ? Can you legitimately claim that two thirds of the December payment is in next years budget.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

That is quite a technical question. I would ring Revenue for an opinion on that.

My inclination is that it should be OK, because the 14,000 limit relates to "gross income" and only the December element of 2019 is income for 2019.

But I'd be more comfortable getting that confirmed by Revenue/your accountant directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dont report it to revenue ffs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thargor wrote: »
    Dont report it to revenue ffs.

You have a legal obligation to do so- regardless of whether tax is due on it, or not. Accessing the rent-a-room scheme creates an obligation for a person to make an annual tax return. It is also expressly forbidden to offer any advice which is illegal in nature, on this forum. If you intend to post in this forum again- familiarise yourself with the forum charter- and obey it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

As above you need to report on your annual return to revenue in order to claim the relief.

To answer OP you can apportion the Jan and Feb part of the payment to next year. It’s legitimate to allocate to the period to which the rent relates.

Advertisement