Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will anything ever happen to old disused railway line between Kiltimagh and Swinford?

Options
  • 31-08-2019 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭

Will we ever see this place turned into a Greenway? Why is there so much opposition to it? The old railway station at Swinford got transformed into a fantastic library/cultural centre, but why hasn't anything been done with the track? A lot of history on those tracks, its a shame to see it being taken over by overgrowth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skipper756

I agree wholeheartedly. The opening of a Greenway cycle/walk route could do wonders to revive the fortunes of struggling businesses in the area. The line will never be re-opened but one way to ensure that the per way is maintained is to make use of it. All you have to do is look around the country to see the difference that opening Greenways have made to the local economies to realise that it is a no brainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

skipper756 wrote: »
    I agree wholeheartedly. The opening of a Greenway cycle/walk route could do wonders to revive the fortunes of struggling businesses in the area. The line will never be re-opened but one way to ensure that the per way is maintained is to make use of it. All you have to do is look around the country to see the difference that opening Greenways have made to the local economies to realise that it is a no brainer.

The reason is the aggressive campaign waged by Brendan Quinn and John Mulligan to fight the restoration of a direct railway link between Limerick and Sligo. The railway line forms part of the proposed Atlantic Economic Corridor and would provide a sound foundation for the expansion of western towns. These guys have used every trick in the book to fight railway development, even resorting to putting up pictures of cross dressers on their West on Crack Facebook page.

They have tried to bully councillors TDs and Senators into agreement with their campaign but are failing because of their attitude and aggressiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭skipper756

I can understand their objections, but we have to be realistic in our expectations regarding the Atlantic Coast Rail Line. I have always said that a rail line all the way along the west coast from Donegal to Cork would be a huge boost to the tourism figures in the West. The huge success of the Wild Atlantic Way just proves the viability of the West coast tourism sector if the investment in infrastructure was made but unless private investment is found it is very unlikely that our Government will ever be willing to invest the required capital to make it happen.
    These objectors to the Greenway need to realise that the longer the railway is left undeveloped, the more it will degenerate and eventually it will become too expensive to even open as a Greenway. I believe that by opening Greenways on old rail lines, we can preserve the original routes and rail beds so that if in the future a Government decided to make the investment, then at least the routes are open and maintained to some degree.

Advertisement