Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diacetyl-free e liquid

Options
  • 31-08-2019 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    New to vaping and just picked up my first kit today, the aspire pockex with .6 ohm coil. Impressed with it so far.

Im doing some reading up and apparently liquid that cobtains Diacetyl can lead to irreversible popcorn lung. I picked up dr. Frost (apple and cranberry). It doesnt list Diacetyl as an ingredient, however it doesn't state it's Diacetyl-free either.

Anyone know if the dr frost range is Diacetyl-free?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭corkie

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    New to vaping and just picked up my first kit today, the aspire pockex with .6 ohm coil. Impressed with it so far.

Im doing some reading up and apparently liquid that cobtains Diacetyl can lead to irreversible popcorn lung. I picked up dr. Frost (apple and cranberry). It doesnt list Diacetyl as an ingredient, however it doesn't state it's Diacetyl-free either.

Thanks

Welcome to Vaping and PockeX!

Latest version of that device comes with 2 coils. .6 (installed) and 1.2 as a spare. The .6 is suited to juices with high VG content and 1.2 for high PG.

Don't believe all the hype about vaping (especially anti-vape squad). Popcorn lung has not been proven to be caused by vaping.
    In the UK, diacetyl was banned in e-cigarette liquid under the EU Tobacco Products Directive (TPD) in 2016. So, e-liquids sold in the UK shouldn’t contain diacetyl. Current research finds that e-cigarettes are far less harmful than smoking and there’s growing evidence they may help some people to quit.
    ^^^ And also possibly banned in the EU, under the same directive. So ejuice both from here and from UK should be free of Diacetyl.

Check that channel for more info on vaping.
    Check here for ejuice & obtaining coils for the device. (€15 for pack of 5)

I'm not affiliated with any store or review site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

corkie wrote: »
    Welcome to Vaping and PockeX!

Latest version of that device comes with 2 coils. .6 (installed) and 1.2 as a spare. The .6 is suited to juices with high VG content and 1.2 for high PG.

Don't believe all the hype about vaping (especially anti-vape squad). Popcorn lung has not been proven to be caused by vaping.

Check that channel for more info on vaping.
    Check here for ejuice & obtaining coils for the device. (€15 for pack of 5)

Thanks, do you know if Dr Frost range is Diacetyl-free?

^^^ Edit my post with more details on it!

^^^ Edit my post with more details on it!

Thanks, I read that but couldn't fund an answer?

Thanks, I read that but couldn't fund an answer?

What could you not FIND

Popcorn lung has not been proven to be caused by vaping.
    In the UK, diacetyl was banned in e-cigarette liquid under the EU Tobacco Products Directive (TPD) in 2016. So, e-liquids sold in the UK shouldn’t contain diacetyl. Current research finds that e-cigarettes are far less harmful than smoking and there’s growing evidence they may help some people to quit.
    ^^^ So ejuice both from here and from UK should be free of Diacetyl.

As I don't know where you source your ejuice or even if bought here was it a reputable source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭nuttyboy79

Hi all,

Thanks

Diacetyl is/was found in creamy or custardy e-liquids so no because of this there it shouldn't be an issue for Dr Frost juices. As for popcorn lung from vaping this is a complete myth.
    One of the most commonly held concerns is that e-cigarettes might cause ‘popcorn lung’. This came about because some flavourings used in e-liquids to provide a buttery flavour contain the chemical diacetyl, which at very high levels of exposure has been associated with the serious lung disease bronchiolitis obliterans.

The condition gained its popular name because it was initially observed among workers in a popcorn factory.

However, diacetyl is banned as an ingredient from e-cigarettes and e-liquids in the UK. It had been detected in some e-liquid flavourings in the past, but at levels hundreds of times lower than in cigarette smoke. Even at these levels, smoking is not a major risk factor for this rare disease.

That's from the link below and there's a few other misconceptions about vaping cleared up also.
    https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2018/02/20/clearing-up-some-myths-around-e-cigarettes/

nuttyboy79 wrote: »
    Diacetyl is/was found in creamy or custardy e-liquids so no because of this there it shouldn't be an issue for Dr Frost juices. As for popcorn lung from vaping this is a complete myth.

That's from the link below and there's a few other misconceptions about vaping cleared up also.
    https://publichealthmatters.blog.gov.uk/2018/02/20/clearing-up-some-myths-around-e-cigarettes/

Thanks nuttyboy for confirming that, and for the link, good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Many of the flavour concentrate manufacturers phased out any of their products that contained diacetyl. The likes of Capella brought out V2 versions of their line that had the ingredient, such as their vanilla custard, butter, vanilla cupcake etc ... but you can still get the originals. I didn't know it was banned outright tbh, as I can still get the V1 vanilla custard that supposedly contains it, and it's a lot nicer than the updated V2 version. Never bothered me to vape it as I've always known better than to fall for scare mongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 FoggyJohn

EU TPD bans all the following so just always vape TPD compliant juice and you're good. Check out Vapoholic for a start

Any ingredient that poses a risk to human health in heated or unheated form

Vitamins or other additives that create the impression that a tobacco product has a health benefit or presents reduced health risks

Caffeine or taurine or other additives and stimulant compounds that are associated with energy and vitality

Additives having colouring properties for emissions

Additives that have carcinogenic, mutagenic or reprotoxic (CMR) properties in unburnt form

Substances classified as carcinogenic, mutagenic or reprotoxic (CMR categories 1 and 2)

Substances classified with specific target organ toxicity for the respiratory tract (STOT category 1)

Respiratory sensitizers

Vitamins used as food supplements

Stimulant additives such as caffeine or taurine

Diacetyl

Pentane 2,3 dione

Diethylene glycol

Ethylene glycol

Formaldehyde

Acetaldehyde

Acrolein

Metals, including cadmium, chromium, iron, lead, mercury and nickel

Preservatives liable to release formaldehyde

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

Hi all,

Thanks

There has been some talk recently about Diacetyl in juice and health related issues with vapers in the US.
    I've been doing some digging on this in the past week or so and here is some of what I've learned.
    Your question is very pertinent and important for any vaper and a little research does throw up some useful information.

Diacetyl is used in food flavouring and colouring and is considered safe to injest in solid or liquid form, however, inhaling it through cigarettes or vaping can cause bronchial issues. The amount of Diacetyl contained in some ejuice is so small that it is considered unlikely to cause any issues when compared to cigarettes but not everyone is the same and some possibly could have a reaction even to small amounts.

My own opinion on this is, I consume approximately 5 litres of ejuice annually and tbh I would prefer to be more informed on what I'm inhaling as the reason I started was to reduce the amount of harmful ingredients that I was getting from cigarettes. Unfortunately this information isn't freely available from a lot of manufacturers and you need to look deeper into their quality control.

T Juice range of juice and concentrate is Diacetyl free and they publish the scientific test results on their website.

Flavour Art concentrate purchased from their UK site is also Diacetyl free.

There are numerous other manufacturers that I'm also trying to get information on Diacetyl content in their product but as I said already it can be difficult to get answers.

• Advertisement

There has been some talk recently about Diacetyl in juice and health related issues with vapers in the US.

Thought most of the health problems in the states was due to street bought cannabis/marijuana oils?

[nytimes] The Mysterious Vaping Illness That’s ‘Becoming an Epidemic’
    A surge of severe lung ailments has baffled doctors and public health experts.
    He rummaged through the youth’s room and found hidden vials of marijuana for vaping.

Does Vaping Really Cause Lung Damage? | MUST SEE! | IndoorSmokers

^^^ 200 cases out 10 millions of vaper's over 10 years ~~~ 0.019 %%%%??

More toxins in the pollution's in the air you breed walking down a city street than what may or not be in vaping e-liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

Thought most of the health problems in the states was due to street bought cannabis/marijuana oils?

[nytimes] The Mysterious Vaping Illness That’s ‘Becoming an Epidemic’
    A surge of severe lung ailments has baffled doctors and public health experts.

Does Vaping Really Cause Lung Damage? | MUST SEE! | IndoorSmokers

^^^ 200 cases out 10 millions of vaper's over 10 years ~~~ 0.019 %%%%??

More toxins in the pollution's in the air you breed walking down a city street than what may or not be in vaping e-liquid.

The health related issues in the US related to vaping by the press have raised the issue of Diacetyl in ejuice again, although it may not be directly related it has made news.

Yes of course that argument that there's more pollutants in the air we breathe is very true but on the other hand I can choose whether to add Diacetyl to the juice I vape or not which for me is a good choice to have.

vitamin E acetate contaminant cause of illness of people vaping cannabis products.

[boingboing.net] Vaping deaths and illnesses linked to contaminant

From paywall article: - [washingtonpost] https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2019/09/05/contaminant-found-vaping-products-linked-deadly-lung-illnesses-state-federal-labs-show/?noredirect=on

Some of the products that New York health authorities found to contain vitamin E acetate. (New York State Department of Health)

State and federal health officials investigating mysterious lung illnesses linked to vaping have found the same chemical in samples of marijuana products used by people sickened in different parts of the country and who used different brands of products in recent weeks.

The chemical is an oil derived

Advertisement