Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 year old laptop takes 5 mins to boot up

Options
  • 31-08-2019 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Howdy folks, Mother in law has entrusted me with fixing her laptop. It's only 2 years old but takes ages to boot up and is horrendously slow in general.
    I notice the disk is on 100% in the task manager window.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What free hard drive space is left on it? What spec is the laptop, how much RAM, processor etc?

Upgrading to a SSD drive would be a good solution either way, €30-€40 would get a decent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

HP laptop with i3 CPU
    4G Ram
    running windows 10
    881GB free of 915GB on C drive
    Recovery (D) 1.7GB free of 14.3 GB

Even trying to open explorer took an age

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭bren2002

Sounds like it could be a bot.
    Wipe and reinstall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Run Windows 10 cleanup. It puts the OS back in as clean a format as possible.

4gb of ram is not much either.... But if that wasn't a problem it probably still isn't.

And a budget pc with a 1gb HDD means it's not an SSD, so it's not going to boot super fast, but again is it wasn't an issue then, it won't matter now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭knockers84

Issue with hard drive I would think. Get a 240GB SSD for 30 quid and reinstall windows. If just using it for browsing the net and YouTube 4GB of ram is fine

• Advertisement

I tried resetting the laptop yesterday in the recovery section of windows ...came down this morniung at was hung at 42%

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ancuncha

I had this problem a while ago, turning off superfetch solved it

Guide here https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/100-disk-usage-windows-10-fixed/

If that doesn't work try searching windows 10 100% disk usage, there are a few things that can cause it.

ancuncha wrote: »
    I had this problem a while ago, turning off superfetch solved it

Guide here https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/100-disk-usage-windows-10-fixed/

If that doesn't work try searching windows 10 100% disk usage, there are a few things that can cause it.

Yes been there...tried all that but nothing worked. Looks like a hard drive issue?

Yes been there...tried all that but nothing worked. Looks like a hard drive issue?

It may be, could also be a windows update failing to install and it it's constantly trying to re-install it

It may be, could also be a windows update failing to install and it it's constantly trying to re-install it

I've just removed macafee and trying a reboot now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

More than one antivirus installed?

More than one antivirus installed?

No

Before spending on hardware, do a clean install of windows and see how it get on.
    It's very likely to be more a OS issue than a hardware issue IMO

Before spending on hardware, do a clean install of windows and see how it get on.
    It's very likely to be more a OS issue than a hardware issue IMO

Excuse my ignorance but how do i do a clean install?

Basically, backup all your files 1st
    Download windows 10 usb installer from mirosoft onto a spare usb drive.
    Check the bios that it will boot from usb
    Reboot with usb drive in, delete partition on hard drive and install windows (it creates it's own partition)

ok lads,,,,really appreciate the replies. I'll keep yiz posted ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Instructions here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/all/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-or-reinstall-of/aef0ae63-2117-41ee-a8ea-4a3181625b08

As someone said, 4GB RAM for general usage is perfectly fine. A solid state drive in that machine would crown it. You wouldn't believe the difference in speeds compared to an old mechanical drive.

Looks like it might be hardware realted. I tried the fresh start option.
    I have a window up now "refreshing your pc....getting a few things ready 1%"...It's been stuck at 1% for 10 minutes.
    Looking like it is the hard drive at this stage?

• Advertisement

Looks like it might be hardware realted. I tried the fresh start option.
    I have a window up now "refreshing your pc....getting a few things ready 1%"...It's been stuck at 1% for 10 minutes.
    Looking like it is the hard drive at this stage?

Back up your files and try a fresh install of windows 10 is the handiest to do to here.

If not installing get an SSD

knockers84 wrote: »
    Back up your files and try a fresh install of windows 10 is the handiest to do to here.

If not installing get an SSD

see my post above :)

• Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Just to echo what others have suggested... I have a 7 year old Lenovo laptop. I updated to Windows 10 a few years ago and it slowed everything down. Swapped over to a SSD and the laptop to this day is faster than the day I bought it. Cannot recommend a SSD enough. Huge difference across the board. Starts up in about 10 seconds. Photoshop / Blender / Video editing launch in no time and are far more stable.

OK...ive ordered the ssd. Obviously windows wont be on it. How do i get windows onto it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

+

Rufus

+

A big enough USB (preferably a fast one for your sanity)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,616 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Some SSD drives will come with software to backup your current drive over to it, alternatively you could download something like Macrium Reflect...
    https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

For the sake of €30 I can't recommend enough the difference a SSD makes, will be like a different laptop, mymemory and amazon have plenty...
    https://www.mymemory.ie/memory/data-storage/ssd-drives.html

• Subscribers Posts: 689 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

When I was doing it, I toyed with the idea of doing a clone. But in the end I was told because of the difference between hdd and ssd architecture and how stuff is accessed a clean install would be more efficient, so I just did a clean install from USB. Backed up all the files on an external drive first. Bit of a pain having to reinstall all your software, depending on what's used on the machine.

OK so i think I've successfully created a boorable USB. The stick was 8G so i was worried it wasn't big enough but it finished after about 6 hrs.
    So basically just install the new drive when it arrives , insert the USB and should be good to go?
    I also noticed there is a spare slot for some extra memory so will throw another 4GB in there.

OK so i think I've successfully created a boorable USB. The stick was 8G so i was worried it wasn't big enough but it finished after about 6 hrs.
    So basically just install the new drive when it arrives , insert the USB and should be good to go?
    I also noticed there is a spare slot for some extra memory so will throw another 4GB in there.

You will have to download the drivers from the manufacturers website as well when installed. If your relation is just browsing the internet and using light office 4GB is enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Advertisement