Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24hrs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ed......

OOnegative wrote: »
    That’s some performance Ed, truly brilliant. Fair play to you.

Cheers lad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Unbelievable stuff. You've a decent coach ;) fair play man. Incredible performance

Unbelievable stuff. You've a decent coach ;) fair play man. Incredible performance

Ha! Thanks, wouldn't have happened without Luke, fact.

Mizen to Malin 20/08/20
    (If restrictions are lifted of course)
    15 weeks from today.

Like everyone else out there my races for the rest of the year have been cancelled or likely to be. So this is a good opportunity to do a run I've wanted to do for a couple of years but could not fit it in.
    I ran for a few miles with Eoin when he did it in 2017 and I suppose that planted the seed with me. I will follow the same route. I've never done a multi day run before and had been looking into 48hr stuff anyway.
    I think this style of a run will suit me as I do suffer with race nerves and don't always cope well in competition. Generally because I put a huge amount of pressure on myself to perform at a level I believe I can achieve.
    Having said that I'll likely aim for a goal that will add pressure regardless.

The running part of my training is going very well, a few ups and downs but generally good. I haven't been affected by the restrictions as I've always kept to a 2km radius running a 1.2mile loop next to my house, with the odd run outside of that. The rest of my training needs a lot of work hence this log to try get back on track. I haven't been getting enough sleep, my diet has been very poor and I've been drinking to often.

Training will most likely be around the same lines I've been doing but with the addition of some back to backs. I'll update training later today and do weekly updates on a Thursday.

Mizen to Malin week 1/15

Fri 1st
    9 mile w/8x20sec strides
    No info on this as had to reset watch as wasn't uploading. Didn't work and still not uploading.

Sat 2nd
    10 mile @ 7:36

Sun 3rd
    12.5 @6:39,incl. 7x1 mile off reduced rec 3min-30sec

2 mile w/u

6:04
    6:02
    6:05
    6:03
    6:00
    5:58
    5:54

2c/d

Found this tough but controlled and felt better as the session went on even though the reps got closer together.

Mon 4th
    9 mile @ 7:50
    felt previous session in the legs during this.

Tue 5th
    Planned long run of 22 mile easy but stuff going on in my head and couldn't really focus. Did 10.6 mile @7:46 before pulling the plug.
    Not too worried but wouldn't want to make a habit of it.

Wed 6th
    9 mile in around 75 min, no watch on this. Was running from work while waiting on a lift home. Just took it very easy and relaxed.

Thurs 7th
    12 mile @ 6:32, 5x2 mile off 800's

6:32,6:29
    3:41 rec.
    6:27,6:25
    3:38 rec.
    6:23,6:27
    3:36 rec.
    6:12,6:22
    3:32 rec.
    6:15,6:18

The pace was prescribed at 6:40 but felt really comfortable throughout and didn't really look at the watch too much. Really enjoyed this session.

So an ok week. Feeling in pretty good shape. Just need to get my head into race training mode. So goals for the week are to get more sleep, knock the drink on the head and lose 2lb.
    Current weight 11st. 9lb.

• Advertisement

Mizen to malin week 2/15

Fri 8th
    9 @6:57 w/ 8x20 strides.

Legs really bounced back quick from the previous days session.

Sat 9th
    10 @7:34

Sun 10th
    16.2 @6:32
    Incl: 15x1km off 2min.

The 1km's were done at 6min pace. Was able to keep the pace but found the whole session really rough and longer than I expected it to be. The pace shouldn't really have felt particular hard so I'm putting it down to work and a bad nights sleep.

Mon 11th
    9 @7:17
    Felt great on this run and the pace felt easy.

Tue 12th
    18 @7:10 progression
    7:45 -6:40

Ironically I've been getting a bit meh on the long easy runs lately but always enjoy a long run broken into parts. So didn't mind taking the first few miles of this very easy knowing I could start picking up the pace as it went on.

Wed 13th
    9 @7:40

Wasn't too pushed on running this but just turned the head off and ticked off the miles.

Thurs 14th
    12 @6:32
    5x2 off 800's

6:30/6:23
    3:44
    6:30/6/24
    3:39
    6:27/6/24
    3:48
    6:16/6:21
    3:39
    6:01/6:10

Was planning 6:40 for this. But just let the pace evolve. Felt very controlled throughout.

Hit the 2lb weight loss this week but need to work on the rest of my lifestyle. The fitness is there for the taking just need the focus and determination to kick in.
    83 miles for the week.
    Goals for the coming week to drop another 2lb and get more sleep and do 2 easy runs before work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

15x1km!!!!! That coach of yours is sadistic!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    15x1km!!!!! That coach of yours is sadistic!!

Haha! I was actually questioning weather I'd read the plan right during this and generally cursing him.

Mizen to Malin 3/15

Fri 15th
    9@7:12

Sat 16th
    9@7:00

Sun 17th
    12@6:42

Mon 18th
    9 @7:14

Tue 19th
    20 @6:48

3up
    2x1@ 6:10 off 90sec
    3min
    8@6:45
    3min
    2x1@6:10 off 90sec

Felt great during this and the mixed paces really helped pass the time.

Wed 19th
    9@7:46
    Was tired after previous days run. Just ploughed through this.

Thurs 20th
    Run took the back seat as family stuff needed priority.

Fri 21st
    No running again. The form wasn't great but in my defence the wind was raging here and the plan was for some faster miles and hill repeats so put it off for the next day.

Sat 23rd
    10.4 @7:49

3up
    3@6:15
    5min
    8x1 off 2 min hill reps.
    1.2 c/d

Wasn't sure how id feel after the 3@6:15 going into hill reps but wasn't to bad. The effort level during the reps was very high and the legs and chest haven't felt that way for a while. Managed to get around the same distance uphill each time and the last rep was probably the best but I was proper wrecked after.

Sun 24th
    13 @8

Wasn't to pushed running 13 easy miles around my usual loop so headed for something more scenic. After the previous days hill reps felt I'd like a few more hills and some race specific terrain. Did a big loop of Raphoe up Mongorry hill and around some fire road. Around 1500ft elev. Nice and easy pace.

Mon 25th
    9 @7:42

Was a bit tired doing this and although I had a day off it took till after 6 before I could get out. Went swiftly though.

Tue 26th
    20 @7:15

10 easy/10 progression

Long runs are every Tuesday at the moment as covid has me working every weekend. I try to get up when the wife's off to work and have it finished shortly after the kids have woken up. Otherwise I'm putting it off all day and generally feeling guilty about leaving them on my day off rather than doing stuff with them. So was glad to have this finished by 10am.
    Went well, was a bit sluggish to begin and not entirely confident in the progressive section. But as always the pace came good doing 7:30 down to 6:15 for the second 10 mile having averaged 7:40 for the first 10.

• Advertisement

Wed 27th
    9 @7:43
    Tired during this, very warm.

Thurs 28th
    9 @7:40

Fri 29th
    Planned session was dropped. Hurt my back in work. I'm prone to back problems. Couldn't get out of work so got a painkilker into me. Once it kicked in the pain eased alot but still alot of discomfort. Figured I'd be off running for a few days.

Sat 30th
    Woke still in some pain but eased throughout the day and felt up to a run after work. Did 3 mile warm up and attempted Friday's sessions but knew straight off it wasn't going to happen.
    10 @7:26 incl strides.

Sun 31st
    Back felt fine but between one Thing and another took the day off.

Mon 1st
    9 @8min.
    Very warm, felt fairly tired throughout.

Tue 2nd
    20.7 @6:36
    2up
    1,2,3,4,3,2,1 @6:20 off 2 min.
    1 down
    Started this around 9am but it was already warm out. There's a well/spring on my loop so stopped there regularly to drench my hat and buff and get a drink. Worked a treat but my singlet was so wet my nipples bled. Small price to pay for staying cool. Legs felt great throughout but shortenened the cool down as I'd had enough of the heat at that stage.

Advertisement