Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I know it all looks very bad, but one thing I'm happy about is that no-one was hurt, no-one was killed. I haven't seen corroboration of the dogs story.

But I think the building did just fine. There was a major fire, about 60 cars went up yet the steel did not fail. Yes, it was mis-shapen and warped. Not one bit of collapse, either of steel or of the tar of the floor above. It survived a potentially 1000ºc fire with no deaths or injuries. I consider that a success. Demolishing and rebuilding, yes that has to happen but at the end of the day everyone got out ok.

The people who I would like to slaughter are the rubberneckers on the N40 this morning that made my commute 15 minutes longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

It was a very impressive retail space I thought. But maybe too big. Personally I'm particularly sad about Music Zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

Interesting read over here on the Irish Examiner site. A lot of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,695 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/corks96fm/status/1168583393149427717?s=21

Statement from the operators of the shopping center.

It is a shame closed for a while, I prefer Village SC to Court SC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

I really hope the traders will be able to pick up where they left off. Are they able to enter the building at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

The Car and insurance market in the UK is very different to here.

Yes it is. Insurance premiums are even higher, especially for younger and less experienced drivers. Is it so hard to imagine a young lad with a €2000 car paying €3000 or more per year for insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I really hope the traders will be able to pick up where they left off. Are they able to enter the building at all?

EuroGiant and Tesco staff are in there clearing stuff so there must be limited access.

Just read Cogans in Carrigaline are warning people with their vehicles trapped in the building to NOT transfer their insurance to another car, as their car may then not be covered if the insurance is transferred should something happen to it like the building collapses or damage on extraction of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Gru wrote: »
    Just read Cogans in Carrigaline are warning people with their vehicles trapped in the building to NOT transfer their insurance to another car, as their car may then not be covered if the insurance is transferred should something happen to it like the building collapses or damage on extraction of it.

Interestingly they have reduced rates for car hire for those affected which includes insurance (someone questioned them on facebook that kearys were doing it for free).

TheDriver wrote: »
    Interestingly they have reduced rates for car hire for those affected which includes insurance (someone questioned them on facebook that kearys were doing it for free).

yeah they are apparently giving a separate insurance which means your car trapped in the building is still covered, but they are implying with Keary's offer the trapped car may not be covered if you transfer the insurance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Yes it is. Insurance premiums are even higher, especially for younger and less experienced drivers. Is it so hard to imagine a young lad with a €2000 car paying €3000 or more per year for insurance?

Yea

Gru wrote: »
    yeah they are apparently giving a separate insurance which means your car trapped in the building is still covered, but they are implying with Keary's offer the trapped car may not be covered if you transfer the insurance.

and according to various sources, the building is at risk of collapsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Raconteuse wrote: »
    It was a very impressive retail space I thought. But maybe too big. Personally I'm particularly sad about Music Zone.

Going to operate out of a car boot according to twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Where was the culprit car parked, towards Tesco or up towards M&S?
    It just seems there's random damage.
    Tesco's sprinklers didn't go off but they did near Cex not so far away?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

I've no idea what the insuance rant above has to do with anything but I'll give you a quick few points as to why

Older cars are more likely to be involved in crashes/tips/ damage. Loaded premium.
    Younger drivers have less experience. Loaded premium.
    Younger drivers have less ncd. Loaded premium.
    Younger drivers are more likely to have younger friends in a car. Loaded premium.

I'll tell you why that last one is important. Serious injury, disfigurement, loss of limb, head injury, paraplegic etc... have serious consequences, not just now but for future care that can run for decades. Settlements can run to 10s of millions for rest of life care and some stupid young prat with a 2k car and 4 mate in it can cost 50+ million for one 50-60kph crash that could at first seem innocuous.

So the, it's easy to imagine a 2k car with a 3k premium but it's even easier to look at reality and see that young drivers are heavily weighted because of their circumstances, experience and their potential risk.

It's an astonishingly neglectful comment to make in a thread like this.

And for the rest of the 'it's my understanding That' commentors, insurance companies will pay out in full. No matter what happens the car between now and it's extraction from the car park. They date of loss is 30 August 2019. You are insured for the incident and it's surrounds from that incident. Everything else is contributory to the incident. You can of course change your insurance to another car. Preposterous that anyone would suggest otherwise.

For such a massive claims culture in this country, it is absolutely abhorrent how little people actually know or understand about insurance.

airy fairy wrote: »

About halfway between Mark's and tesco exit in that section.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Dia Anseo banned. No more nonsense please and dont feed the trolls

[HTML][/HTML]
    Gaspode wrote: »
    Dia Anseo banned. No more nonsense please and dont feed the trolls

Did you see his post from 13-07-2019, 21:42!!!!!!

Think you just banned verbal kint!

About halfway between Mark's and tesco exit in that section.

Sounds like a line from a Christy Moore dong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

airy fairy wrote: »

For the pictures the bit over tesco looked fine. It was the middle section, from the top of the escalator toward the gym worst hit.

• Advertisement

jhegarty wrote: »
    For the pictures the bit over tesco looked fine. It was the middle section, from the top of the escalator toward the gym worst hit.

Its top.of the ramp until the road halfway down that's ruined.
    What's the story with the 2 cars in disabled spots that seem untouched even tho the car beside them is ruined. Even their tyres are intact.

What's the story with the 2 cars in disabled spots that seem untouched even tho the car beside them is ruined. Even their tyres are intact.

Blue badges give off forcefields.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

[HTML][/HTML]

That is hilarious - what are the chances !

Hibernicis wrote: »
    That is hilarious - what are the chances !

It was him. Nobody else could get that aroused by an opel zafira.

It was him.

Her, apparently

For anybody who is familiar with the Centre, the following article (towards the end) gives a good indication of how this maps onto the ground floor:

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/No-vinyl-countdown-for-Douglas-record-store-hit-by-shopping-centre-fire-d20ed87b-7550-4792-8c0f-f0b79a36023a-ds

"The car park where the fire was is mainly over the big service yard on the Douglas east/west link roadside and only slightly over some shops left and across from me” (This was the owner of Music Zone speaking)

I'll just say it one more time in case it gets lost above.

The fact it was a zafira or there was a recall on the zafira makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. Liability can't be pinned to them and it will be the policyholders insurance that will be handling the claim. End of story. Fin. Kaput. Capiche. Genug . Done. Sorted. Signed. Sealed. Delivered.

Louise and Olivia mai also sound like lovely people...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

[HTML][/HTML]

Think you just banned verbal kint!
    Means nothing to me, lets stay on topic and not discuss moderation any further. PM me if needed

Sounds like a line from a Christy Moore dong.
    Yah let's not bring Mr Moore's dong into it either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

So the story on Reddit is that the car was on fire outside the shopping centre and the woman drove it in and proceeded to go to fecking Tesco customer service to get help? Imagine being that thick? :eek:

Advertisement