Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I've no idea what the insuance rant above has to do with anything but I'll give you a quick few points as to why

Older cars are more likely to be involved in crashes/tips/ damage. Loaded premium.
    Younger drivers have less experience. Loaded premium.
    Younger drivers have less ncd. Loaded premium.
    Younger drivers are more likely to have younger friends in a car. Loaded premium.

I'll tell you why that last one is important. Serious injury, disfigurement, loss of limb, head injury, paraplegic etc... have serious consequences, not just now but for future care that can run for decades. Settlements can run to 10s of millions for rest of life care and some stupid young prat with a 2k car and 4 mate in it can cost 50+ million for one 50-60kph crash that could at first seem innocuous.

So the, it's easy to imagine a 2k car with a 3k premium but it's even easier to look at reality and see that young drivers are heavily weighted because of their circumstances, experience and their potential risk.

It's an astonishingly neglectful comment to make in a thread like this.

And for the rest of the 'it's my understanding That' commentors, insurance companies will pay out in full. No matter what happens the car between now and it's extraction from the car park. They date of loss is 30 August 2019. You are insured for the incident and it's surrounds from that incident. Everything else is contributory to the incident. You can of course change your insurance to another car. Preposterous that anyone would suggest otherwise.

For such a massive claims culture in this country, it is absolutely abhorrent how little people actually know or understand about insurance.

Cool story. Got nothing to do with this though. Ain’t no kids or paraplegics around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

So the story on Reddit is that the car was on fire outside the shopping centre and the woman drove it in and proceeded to go to fecking Tesco customer service to get help? Imagine being that thick? :eek:

I saw that too, that the car was smoking and they came into the car park thinking there would be fire extinguishers there. (Not the Tesco service desk)

I would have gone to the petrol station, but I can imagine the person was panicking and just wanted to get stopped and off the road, dove into the nearest place they saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

pwurple wrote: »
    I saw that too, that the car was smoking and they came into the car park thinking there would be fire extinguishers there. (Not the Tesco service desk)

I would have gone to the petrol station, but I can imagine the person was panicking and just wanted to get stopped and off the road, dove into the nearest place they saw.

Bring a car on fire into a petrol station????? Open space and call 999. Even a surface car park with nothing around would do.

I know it was almost certainly not intentional but I would like to see the driver charged if this was the case and they drove a car that was on fire into an enclosed space. Reckless endangerment or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

If even for her own sake, who knows how fast the car would have went up. She could have just stopped the car and abandoned it in the middle of a lane, I think most would understand that it's an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Sharp MZ700

If even for her own sake, who knows how fast the car would have went up. She could have just stopped the car and abandoned it in the middle of a lane, I think most would understand that it's an emergency.

Exactly, or up on a footpath. "I'm on fire, better endanger more". Lucky woman no one was killed, imagine having to live with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

I heard that they parked the car in the car park and saw it was on fire when they came back to go home.

Disagree with you about the petrol station idea. May have caused a huge explosion in the village centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yes, driving a potential fire bomb to a place storing thousands of gallons of fuel, top of the class. Don't need Al Queada at all when normal people think it's ok to do that.

Yes, driving a potential fire bomb to a place storing thousands of gallons of fuel, top of the class. Don't need Al Queada at all when normal people think it's ok to do that.

Lol. Yes, a car is a bomb.

I've had two cars go on fire in my driving experience, and that's where I head to.

Petrol is stored in protected sumps underground, and petrol stations are my go-to spot for a fire extinguisher for cars, because they are required to have exactly the right equipment there for putting out a fire in a car. Pop it up on the footpath outside, grab the right gear, done

Hey presto - didn't burn down a building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I'm guessing they meant into the car wash, or by the car wash?
    Either way, I don't get the mentality of seeing your car emitting smoke and not just pulling over on the road itself. Taking it into the car park makes no sense; that person has cause so much hardship for the people who parked/work in the Shopping Center.

Lol. Yes, a car is a bomb.

I've had two cars go on fire in my driving experience, and that's where I head to.

Petrol is stored in protected sumps underground, and petrol stations are my go-to spot for a fire extinguisher for cars, because they are required to have exactly the right equipment there for putting out a fire in a car. Pop it up on the footpath outside, grab the right gear, done

Hey presto - didn't burn down a building.

Good for you, disaster area. I guess all the no smoking and no naked flames signs around petrol stations are needless then?

What happens when you catch fire and you're not near a filling station? You seem to be awfully confident you're going to make it to one in one piece?

• Advertisement

Good for you, disaster area. I guess all the no smoking and no naked flames signs around petrol stations are needless then?

:pac: That's still not what I said. You seem to be assuming that I said drive it over to the petrol pump and start pouring petrol all over it. :pac::pac::pac:

What I actually said, was park it outside and get the correct equipment.

Put the small fire out as quickly as possible. Before it becomes a furnace. That's what my fire training has taught me. Put it out quick.

The approach of walking away and letting it develop is not best practice in my experience, but hey, maybe your training is different.

:pac: That's still not what I said. You seem to be assuming that I said drive it over to the petrol pump and start pouring petrol all over it. :pac::pac::pac:

Put the small fire out as quickly as possible. Before it becomes a furnace. That's what my fire training has taught me. Put it out quick.

The approach of walking away and letting it develop is not best practice in my experience, but hey, maybe your training is different.

So you had training on how to deal with a fire, specifically a car fire?

What happens 10 km from nearest filling station, you drive it all the way there?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Your approach will lead to some dumb idiot trying to drive their burning car to the nearest fire extinguisher and getting caught inside when it develops far quicker than expected.

The approach of walking away from the burning thing is indeed best practice and you would want to be pretty ****ing stupid to think otherwise.

So you had training on how to deal with a fire, specifically a car fire?

What happens 10 km from nearest filling station, you drive it all the way there?

Sure, I work in chemical plants and building sites. Elf and safety for anyone on sites like that is putting out vehicle fires etc. What's your training?

Is douglas filling station 10km away, or is it right fecking there? :D

Sure, I work in chemical plants and building sites.

In the canteen?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Your approach will lead to some dumb idiot trying to drive their burning car to the nearest fire extinguisher and getting caught inside when it develops far quicker than expected.

The approach of walking away from the burning thing is indeed best practice and you would want to be pretty ****ing stupid to think otherwise.

I agree with this. Park it somewhere open, get people out and call the professionals.

The last thing you need is some fool tackling a fire with a sh*tty 10 year old extinguisher.
    Fire extinguishers are mainly useless anyways as most people haven't a notion how they work.

I've done 3 fire safety courses in 3 jobs and only once actually used an extinguisher.

Sure, I work in chemical plants and building sites. Elf and safety for anyone on sites like that is putting out vehicle fires etc. What's your training?

They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

So you drive around Douglas every day in circles?

Just say, if you were driving on the motorway and the engine caught fire, what would you do then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Why would people bother trying to save the car anyway? Unless you catch it at its very earliest stage surely the car is an economic write off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The fact it was a zafira or there was a recall on the zafira makes absolutely no difference whatsoever. Liability can't be pinned to them and it will be the policyholders insurance that will be handling the claim. End of story. Fin. Kaput. Capiche. Genug . Done. Sorted. Signed. Sealed. Delivered.

I think it's still important, as it raises questions as to the effectiveness of safety recalls and maybe Opel's dealing of the recall. There have been issues with certain BMWs leading to engine fires recently, and in most cases BMW were essentially taking the cars off the road and impounding them until the replacement parts were fitted (unless the owner refused). I don't think Opel or Vauxhall have been going to the same extent - I know for a fact people are still driving around in Zafira B's and have yet to bring them in for the 2019 recall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've seen people all over the place say that the car was smoking or on fire when it turned into the car park. Now this should be very easy for the authorities to assertain, I'm sure there's plenty of cctv, and if that was the case it will surely come out. To agree with someone else, if this was the case and even if it was obviously somebody panicking, they should still be charged with something.

The reason I don't belive it is that if my car went on fire while driving, the choice of driving into multi story car park and parking in a space is way down the list. My first thought would be throw on the hazards and leg it. Or pull in out of the way (eg by the entrance to the loading bay). If for some reason i did end up going into the car park, you can be sure I wouldn't be looking for a specific space, I'd just find some open area and abandon it. Or go to the the roof. I might be wrong though...

Just say, if you were driving on the motorway and the engine caught fire, what would you do then?

Hard shoulder.

This is really complicated eh? :D

Hard shoulder.

This is really complicated eh? :D

How would you put it out then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

dulpit wrote: »
    The reason I don't belive it is that if my car went on fire while driving, the choice of driving into multi story car park and parking in a space is way down the list. My first thought would be throw on the hazards and leg it. Or pull in out of the way (eg by the entrance to the loading bay). If for some reason i did end up going into the car park, you can be sure I wouldn't be looking for a specific space, I'd just find some open area and abandon it. Or go to the the roof. I might be wrong though...
    Would you though? People make all sorts of irrational decisions when they're panicking and stressed, you really don't know what you'd do until you're in that situation. If last week someone sat her down and asked her hypothetically what should they do in that situation I'd be willing to bet they'd give much the same answer as what you said.

How would you put it out then?

It wouldn't be possible, would it? :rolleyes:

I need to unfollow this thread. I've got enough 5 year old's asking me daft questions in my life.:p

It wouldn't be possible, would it? :rolleyes:

I need to unfollow this thread. I've got enough 5 year old's asking me daft questions in my life.:p

It wouldn't be possible but to quote you, "the approach of walking away and letting it develop is not best practice".

A crane is starting to remove the cars from the car park today.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Going by the logic on here, you should keep driving and send a snapchat.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If I saw smoke, I'd abandon there and then and call 999 :o

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    If I saw smoke, I'd abandon there and then and call 999 :o
    Well actually...
    The approach of walking away and letting it develop is not best practice in my experience

Advertisement