Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭rameire

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Surely these cars have smoke damage at the very least. The smoke that surrounded the village, the sky and that could be seen for miles has have some impact in this cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

airy fairy wrote: »
    Surely these cars have smoke damage at the very least. The smoke that surrounded the village, the sky and that could be seen for miles has have some impact in this cars.

It's hard to say. The west side of the 2nd level and all of the 3rd level are open, considering the distance from the fire they might just need a wash. Most cars wouldn't have been running at the time, so no fouling of air filter, etc.

One person in the Examiner (or maybe Times?) today said they had left meat and fish in their car, that won't be nice after 4+ days...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

airy fairy wrote: »

Depends on where they were parked. Someone I know was in the car park, saw the fire, drove back to the open area at the south west corner and left it there. Presumably that's fine. There was very little smoke damage to the south west of the centre, the wind was westerly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It wouldn't be possible but to quote you, "the approach of walking away and letting it develop is not best practice".

Have any of you even so much as a safe pass?

To requote the for dummies version..

aid41939-v4-728px-Use-a-Fire-Extinguisher-Step-12.jpg.webp

If there is a small fire, and you can put it out, do so.

If that's not possible, don't.

Am I speaking Swahili here?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

TheChizler wrote: »
    Depends on where they were parked. Someone I know was in the car park, saw the fire, drove back to the open area at the south west corner and left it there. Presumably that's fine. There was very little smoke damage to the south west of the centre, the wind was westerly.

The wind was blowing in from the link and out the back towards the village. You can see the cars burnt in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Wonder will smoke damaged cars be written off.

Being subsumed in acrid smoke would surely make them a toxic hell hole inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It's hard to say. The west side of the 2nd level and all of the 3rd level are open, considering the distance from the fire they might just need a wash. Most cars wouldn't have been running at the time, so no fouling of air filter, etc.

One person in the Examiner (or maybe Times?) today said they had left meat and fish in their car, that won't be nice after 4+ days...

over cooked now :P

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    The wind was blowing in from the link and out the back towards the village. You can see the cars burnt in that direction.
    Yes, is that different to what I said? Maybe a north-westerly wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

TheDriver wrote: »

Which end of the Link? Kinsale Roundabout end would be an easterly while City Centre End would indicate a southerly breeze.

Which end of the Link? Kinsale Roundabout end would be an easterly while City Centre End would indicate a southerly breeze.

It was blowing from the city centre and out towards the village . There was very little smoke coming out towards the link except where there is a wall and smoke couldn't get blown out the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Wind was coming from the North West so.

Love a bit of pedantry ;) Minus points for getting your wind directions wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Be right back

Balanadan wrote: »
    Going by the logic on here, you should keep driving and send a snapchat.

Was replying to someone who said they would drive to the nearest petrol station!

Hogzy wrote: »
    Wind was coming from the North West so.

Yes, that sounds right. Was blowing out towards Crosshaven/Harbour direction

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

pwurple wrote: »
    Have any of you even so much as a safe pass?

To requote the for dummies version..

aid41939-v4-728px-Use-a-Fire-Extinguisher-Step-12.jpg.webp

If there is a small fire, and you can put it out, do so.

If that's not possible, don't.

Am I speaking Swahili here?

This will work with your cute little course putting out a fire in a small tray in the yard, but you seem to know more than the RSA...

"...for safety reasons, should a fire break out in a
    vehicle, the RSA would recommend that occupants exit the vehicle and get to safety rather than risk injury
    by attempting to extinguish a fire."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

All this talk of wind direction. If a car is sitting a few feet away from a burning car it too is going up in flames, not matter which way the wind is blowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Never knew petrol stations specialized in putting car fires out, go figure, here's me thinking they just sold fuel, didn't know they employed advanced fire fighters.

• Advertisement

All this talk of wind direction. If a car is sitting a few feet away from a burning car it too is going up in flames, not matter which way the wind is blowing.

It's a big car park with capacity for over 1,000 cars, but the fire was in the evening so there were lots of empty spaces. Reports say that 50-60 cars have been "severely damaged", whereas around 130 are "undamaged". The debate is what sort of conditions these 130 cars are in, how significant smoke damage could be.

The first few cars being removed by crane from the west end of the car park look unscathed: https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1168869236443361280

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It's a big car park with capacity for over 1,000 cars, but the fire was in the evening so there were lots of empty spaces. Reports say that 50-60 cars have been "severely damaged", whereas around 130 are "undamaged". The debate is what sort of conditions these 130 cars are in, how significant smoke damage could be.

The first few cars being removed by crane from the west end of the car park look unscathed:

AHH, ME ALLOYS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Media articles today confirming female driver and Zafira. Staying legally careful about whether car was on fire when it was parked or not. Indo says it will be a battle between the motor insurer and the car manufacturer

The first few cars being removed by crane from the west end of the car park look unscathed: https://twitter.com/CorkSafetyAlert/status/1168869236443361280

And look at the red car in disabled spot, it didn't go up unlike the one next to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wavert

Padre_Pio wrote:
    AHH, ME ALLOYS!!

I don't know much about lifting cars but I'm not sure is this what alloys were designed for!

They should be using a proper car lifting hoist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

why on earth would you drive a car on fire into a car park the mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bladespin wrote: »
    Never knew petrol stations specialized in putting car fires out, go figure, here's me thinking they just sold fuel, didn't know they employed advanced fire fighters.

Well, some come well equipped.

As to why they chose a multistory? Well its Cork, innit. No logic required!

wavert wrote: »
    I don't know much about lifting cars but I'm not sure is this what alloys were designed for!

They should be using a proper car lifting hoist.

The wheels, hubs, etc. need to be able to take the weight of the car from pretty much any angle. I'm not sure I see the problem here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

The wheels, hubs, etc. need to be able to take the weight of the car from pretty much any angle. I'm not sure I see the problem here...

The weight isn't the issue, unless they are using rubber hooks I can't see how they can't scuff up the face of the alloy.

That said its still not a bad way of moving the cars.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    The weight isn't the issue, unless they are using rubber hooks I can't see how they can't scuff up the face of the alloy.

That said its still not a bad way of moving the cars.

There's some closer shots here (especially near the end):

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaNews/status/1168935435650965504

I couldn't say what exactly the green material is but it looks like they've put in effort to not damage the cars.

Advertisement