Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Caranica wrote: »
    Media articles today confirming female driver and Zafira. Staying legally careful about whether car was on fire when it was parked or not. Indo says it will be a battle between the motor insurer and the car manufacturer

I wonder what her renewal will be next year?...multi million euro claim against her ;)

I know it will be a battle with the manufacturer in the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

Nice Smax

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The delays on the N40 purely from onlookers are really beginning to irritate me now. Backed up to the Ringaskiddy junction this morning at 8am. 630pm tonight backed up to the tunnel. No blockages or lane restrictions, I was coming the other direction and it is blatant rubbernecking and people nearly stopping for a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

pwurple wrote: »
    Have any of you even so much as a safe pass?

If there is a small fire, and you can put it out, do so.

If that's not possible, don't.

Am I speaking Swahili here?

In our fire safety we are told to only attempt to put out a fire if it is impeding our exit ....
    Otherwise set off an alarm and get out of dodge bringing as many people with you on your direct way to the exit, as you can.
    Never try tackle a fire unless it’s blocking your only exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I've been looking at video of car on fire and brigade after photos and I'm shocked at the cars who obviously drove out past it. Imagine if the car blew whilst passing, youd be killed stone dead.
    I'd prob feel the need to boot out of there but in hindsight, it is very dangerous. A number people obviously thought it a good risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I wonder what her renewal will be next year?...multi million euro claim against her ;)

I know it will be a battle with the manufacturer in the end :)

Have you had any claims in the last 3 years .... yeah... how much ...

Would make a great wind up call to ring the insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

wavert wrote: »
    I don't know much about lifting cars but I'm not sure is this what alloys were designed for!

They should be using a proper car lifting hoist.

Your right.
    You don’t know much about lifting cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

TheDriver wrote: »
    I've been looking at video of car on fire and brigade after photos and I'm shocked at the cars who obviously drove out past it. Imagine if the car blew whilst passing, youd be killed stone dead.
    I'd prob feel the need to boot out of there but in hindsight, it is very dangerous. A number people obviously thought it a good risk.
    Typically cars don't explode from being on fire, eventually their tank might rupture and cause a fireball but no explosion so to speak. Tyres do explode which is what witnesses were hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

rom wrote: »
    Have you had any claims in the last 3 years .... yeah... how much ...

Would make a great wind up call to ring the insurance companies.

Well apart from the 60 cars and the shopping center.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

TheChizler wrote: »
    Typically cars don't explode from being on fire, eventually their tank might rupture and cause a fireball but no explosion so to speak. Tyres do explode which is what witnesses were hearing.

And batterys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,129 ✭✭✭✭rob316

my3cents wrote: »
    The weight isn't the issue, unless they are using rubber hooks I can't see how they can't scuff up the face of the alloy.

That said its still not a bad way of moving the cars.

I think given the circumstances you'll live with a few scratched alloys.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

The delays on the N40 purely from onlookers are really beginning to irritate me now. Backed up to the Ringaskiddy junction this morning at 8am. 630pm tonight backed up to the tunnel. No blockages or lane restrictions, I was coming the other direction and it is blatant rubbernecking and people nearly stopping for a look.

i travel this way couple of times daily and people just drive a tad slower to look over thats all no stopping stop moaning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

This will work with your cute little course putting out a fire in a small tray in the yard, but you seem to know more than the RSA...

"...for safety reasons, should smoke break out in a
    vehicle, the RSA would recommend that you shouldnt drive into a multi storey car park to look for help in putting it out when the fire starts "

fixed that for you

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

pwurple wrote: »
    Have any of you even so much as a safe pass?

To requote the for dummies version..

aid41939-v4-728px-Use-a-Fire-Extinguisher-Step-12.jpg.webp

If there is a small fire, and you can put it out, do so.

If that's not possible, don't.

Am I speaking Swahili here?

I have a Masters degree from the College of Common Sense m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

mean gene wrote: »
    i travel this way couple of times daily and people just drive a tad slower to look over thats all no stopping stop moaning

Are you serious? Traffic was literally stopped at the Rochestown exit this morning to accommodate people driving a 'a tad slower' to look at what? 'Wow, a crane!' ...idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mordeith wrote: »
    Are you serious? Traffic was literally stopped at the Rochestown exit this morning to accommodate people driving a 'a tad slower' to look at what? 'Wow, a crane!' ...idiots

It only take people slowing down to cause complete stops further back.
    People really are idiots. Can't believe other people are defending these idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

These people are idiots. Its bad enough that people seem to think its ok to slow at this part of the road at the best of times, let alone when theres something so mundane going on. They can and do cause accidents and huge unnecessary delays for hundreds of people.

What's needed is for a wall/barrier to be erected along that road that blocks views of douglas. Only way to stop these morons.

Gru wrote: »
    These people are idiots. Its bad enough that people seem to think its ok to slow at this part of the road at the best of times, let alone when theres something so mundane going on. They can and do cause accidents and huge unnecessary delays for hundreds of people.

What's needed is for a wall/barrier to be erected along that road that blocks views of douglas. Only way to stop these morons.

What’s also needed was for that road to be built properly in the first place to that it had a hard shoulder and barriers on the side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

That road should never have been built where it was. If it was nowadays it wouldn't have a hope in hell of being built slap bang right through the middle of douglas, bisecting the village in two. the south ring was of course warranted, but to bulldoze an elevated dual carriageway right through a village was the height of ignorance. But it was different times - back in the 80s there wasn't really a whole lot of appreciation of the bisecting effect roads have on communities, and the negative effects of noise, dust and fumes.

In hind sight, it should have been tunnelled starting around Bloomfield, underneath Douglas to re-emerge west of St. Patrick's mills. This would have preserved most of the waterfront at Rochestown looking out onto the Douglas River inlet off of Lough Mahon. But unfortunately this was not considered at the time and what would have been a fantastic amenity was oblitterated by the N40 along with a not insubstantial part of Douglas.

And LS, if that road was built as you suggest with hard shoulders, it would have erased even more of the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That road should never have been built where it was. If it was nowadays it wouldn't have a hope in hell of being built slap bang right through the middle of douglas, bisecting the village in two.
    Looking back at any map as far as the 1800s there were only ever the two roads heading to Douglas from Cork. Unless you mean some sort of visual bisection?

• Advertisement

yes, more of a visual bisection. The elevated dual carriage way is hugely obtrusive, overshadows properties and the level of noise it generates over a long distance and so close to mostly residential areas is pretty awful.

I wonder was there much opposition to it at the time? Is there any record of the history of the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I wonder was there much opposition to it at the time? Is there any record of the history of the road?

Examiner and Evening Echo archives aren't free online, but should be available in libraries. The libraries that aren't in Douglas...

That road should never have been built where it was. If it was nowadays it wouldn't have a hope in hell of being built slap bang right through the middle of douglas, bisecting the village in two. the south ring was of course warranted, but to bulldoze an elevated dual carriageway right through a village was the height of ignorance. But it was different times - back in the 80s there wasn't really a whole lot of appreciation of the bisecting effect roads have on communities, and the negative effects of noise, dust and fumes.

In hind sight, it should have been tunnelled starting around Bloomfield, underneath Douglas to re-emerge west of St. Patrick's mills. This would have preserved most of the waterfront at Rochestown looking out onto the Douglas River inlet off of Lough Mahon. But unfortunately this was not considered at the time and what would have been a fantastic amenity was oblitterated by the N40 along with a not insubstantial part of Douglas.

And LS, if that road was built as you suggest with hard shoulders, it would have erased even more of the village.

That road never bisected any of the village, there is a school on one side and the old car park was on the other

As for the hard shoulder It would take more space, sure but not having a hard shoulder on that stretch is a hazard, the ambulances based at the Kinsale Road roundabout are regularly delayed on that stretch in rush hour traffic and there have been a number of accidents on that stretch that bring the entire south ring to a dangerous standstill.

As for your Tunnell idea, wishful thinking / pie in the sky. This is the same place that many didn’t think the actual tunnell wasnt needed at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

We're fooked altogether when they start demolition. Imagine the rubbernecking then.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't huge opposition and objections to the road when it was in planning. Imagine if it wasn't there and it was now a proposal? There would be blue murder over a proposal to drive an elevated dual carriageway through that location.
    Look at the furious level of objection to the N/M28 out in the rural fringes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Has anyone connected to TII or indeed the Gardai/City Council not commented on the need for a screen to be erected on the flyover, the rubber necking will continue until reconstruction is complete without it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

airy fairy wrote: »
    We're fooked altogether when they start demolition. Imagine the rubbernecking then.

Was lunacy again after 4 this afternoon. As mentioned earlier it only takes people slowing down for a look (nothing to see either !) to have a massive knock on effect further back, bring traffic to a stop today well before the bloomfield interchange. Same thing happened a couple of weeks ago when a 3 combine harvesters decide to head west at rush hour. They move so slow everyone is trying to overtake and it causes mayhem.

Wait till the real sh*tty weather starts and theres going to be rear end collisions every day unless they put up hoarding to block the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Whats worse about the Douglas flyover is that it will become an atrocious bottleneck once the M28 and Dunkettle are done. It needs to be 3 lanes now, but when those two projects are done, it'll basically be 6 lanes into 2. That'll be jammed all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Whats worse about the Douglas flyover is that it will become an atrocious bottleneck once the M28 and Dunkettle are done. It needs to be 3 lanes now, but when those two projects are done, it'll basically be 6 lanes into 2. That'll be jammed all day.

We all know the score on Dunkettle with the recent news, M28 is looking like a completion date of 2026/27 according to the latest posts over on the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

That road never bisected any of the village, there is a school on one side and the old car park was on the other

As for the hard shoulder It would take more space, sure but not having a hard shoulder on that stretch is a hazard, the ambulances based at the Kinsale Road roundabout are regularly delayed on that stretch in rush hour traffic and there have been a number of accidents on that stretch that bring the entire south ring to a dangerous standstill.

As for your Tunnell idea, wishful thinking / pie in the sky. This is the same place that many didn’t think the actual tunnell wasnt needed at the time.

A small part of Douglas Community School's playing fields and a part of the old surface carpark of what was then called Douglas Shopping Centre were part of the landtake.

It didn't 'bisect' the eastern side of Douglas, as there was no real visual continuity between the old village, with its adjacent shopping centre, and the Douglas Road residential area to the north, which were already divided by the shopping centre's carpark and by Douglas Community School's playing fields.

You could argue that there was some visual discontinuity after the road was built in the west village, but, once again, the areas either side of the flyover were already divided visually into the older buildings of the village, and the more modern suburban housing of the South Douglas Road, with Douglas Community School already forming a barrier between the two.

As someone who grew up off the Well Road, I don't remember any great objections to the flyover.

For most people in 1980s Ireland, any new road, especially a dual-carriageway, was welcome, considering the terrible state of almost all roads in Ireland throughout that decade.

Only a very small number of houses, at the junction of the Well Road and the Douglas Road (and behind, including in the laneway immediately to the south of that junction), were seriously affected by the flyover.

Some houses in some of what where then fairly new housing estates along the Rochestown Road were affected by the proximity of the dual-carriageway to the estates, but I doubt if anyone in those estates gave it much thought.

A tunnel from the N28 interchange to beyond the Woolen Mills would never have been feasible financially back then (and very likely unfeasible if the road was built now), even if it had been physically feasible to build a tunnel.

As for a hard shoulder and three lanes, I'm not sure that the planners back then anticipated the road carrying as much traffic as it does now, with Ireland (and Cork) having much smaller population levels, much less car traffic, and much less economic activity, as it was still in the throes of a major recession when construction began on this section of road.

The fact that these roads, including the South Link Road, were built at all was a minor miracle, given the state of public finances in Ireland at the time, and given the fact that they were among the tiny few kilometres of dual-carriageway and/or motorway, including the Naas bypass, built in Ireland during the 1980s.

The idea that there would be a network of motorways and dual-carriageways connecting Dublin to most of the major provincial towns and cities, and connecting some of these to each other, was fanciful to say the least in 1980s Ireland.

Neither the money nor the political will was there in 1980s Ireland to build a motorway network, whatever the ambitions of some planners and engineers may have been.

Therefore, the construction of a section of what went on to become the N40, and the construction of the South Link Road section of what became the N27 (initially the road between Cork Airport and the city centre formed part of the R600, before the 1990s addition of NXX roads beyond the original N1-N25 routes), were major achievements in 1980s Ireland and people were generally proud of them and happy that they had been built.

Advertisement