Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Gru wrote: »
    I'm hoping that considering how fast they contained the fire that damage inside the center itself is minimal. No doubt stocks of food etc will need to be tossed.
    I was going up the escalator recently and being surprised noting there was absolutely no way of sealing the rest of the centre from the car park. Tesco has these massive fire shutters that I've seen down time to time but nothing at the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Gru wrote:
    Looks to be a large SUV from the video, an electric did cross my mind as a potential cuplrit earlier.

Don't think electric cars are more likely to catch fire or to cause a worse fire than traditional cars. Id bet on an older car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Don't think electric cars are more likely to catch fire or to cause a worse fire than traditional cars. Id bet on an older car.
    Electric car fires with multiple cells will burn for hours and hours and there's pretty much nothing you can do as one cell combusts after another.
    Your first point is correct though.

The Rimac that Richard Hammond crashed burned for nearly 2 days (not saying cheaper EVs are the completely similar, just an example)

Its all guess work still obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You would think from the video on Facebook that fire alarms would have been going off with that level of fire in the car park initially.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Advertisement

delminteop wrote: »
    The fire still hasn't been extinguished and it is likely that the entire shopping centre will be decimated.
    giphy.gif

Reports that the fire has been extinguished by 96FM.

Fair play to them. Not many would get involved. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 69,087 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well done 96FM, heroes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

Well done 96FM, heroes!

Haha oh dear, phrasing could have been better!

It's September 11th all over again!

0/10.

• Advertisement

Yeah well show me your evidence or quit the backseat modding.
    Like your evidence? :pac:

Yeah well show me your evidence.

Exhibit A:

Need I say more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Fair play to them. Not many would get involved. :P

Wonder if Neil Prendeville had his hose out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭The Hound Gone Wild

Everyone knows the TK-Max in the Douglas centre was a massive target for Al-Qaida. Finally got around to chalking it off I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Oh shít, I was planning on going to the gym there tonight after the rugby. I got too lazy in the end, thank fúck!

M

Would the smell of toxic smoke come out of clothes after a single wash?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,689 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How many cars burnt?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Apparently about 50-60 according to earlier reports...12 according to the Independent which does seem more likely.

M

With those cars burnt out those 20-30 foot near them would have the window seals and paint destroyed, as good as ruined and worth nothing.

• Advertisement
    M

RTE 13 minutes ago says still battling the fire, fake news?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

50-60 damaged , more than likely smoke damage for most of them

RTE 13 minutes ago says still battling the fire, fake news?
    Cork City Fire Brigade said on their own twitter that have brought in more units, this tweeted well after the reports of the fire being out.

People confusing no smoke for everything been finished up I think.

M

Will be interesting if the cause is a fire recall car.

Cork City Fire Brigade said on their own twitter that have brought in more units, this tweeted well after the reports of the fire being out.

People confusing no smoke for everything been finished up I think.
    https://twitter.com/CorkCityFire/status/1167908922608345089?s=20

Oh, and its confirmed the building will be closed tomorrow, as if there was any doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I wonder who is going to be responsible for the damage? Is the "initial car" fire section of insurance responsible for all the damage they caused or is every car owner going to have to claim off their own insurance?
    I'm wondering when people who have driveable cars will be allowed get them or have them driven out for them?

I'd say all the cars in that block will be poor and by the pics, it spread to the disabled/parent and baby ones. The roadway halfway down splitting the sections (by the tesco stairs) might be a blessing in disguise for containing the spread. The wind seemed to be blowing it out the back towards the village.
    I also saw some restaurants were evacuated due to smoke blowing their way.

M

Having being subjected to fire damage on my own car before my hope is all the cars left there are destroyed and owners get fault free insurance payouts. A fire fix me up is worth nothing unless you are selling it to idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Was thinking the same if your car was caught up in it your better off it was fully burnt out. I wouldn't like to be someone with a practically damaged car that has damage car on a PCPplan.. Who's insurance would cover the cars impacted tonight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Looks like some cars have survived, but they may be smoke damaged, therefore written off?

https://twitter.com/CorkCityFire/status/1168057422054772736

Advertisement