Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

traffic mental after school yesterday and this morning, we're back to Douglas being a car park again.

What is that supposed to mean?..........

Probably a reference to the margin on branded products here compared to the UK. Many folk within an hour or so of the border make frequent shopping trips to NI as washing powder etc etc etc is cheaper by a fair bit up there.

Not so bad with the own brand stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

What is that supposed to mean?

An island where you find treasure (a.k.a. high profits).

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

snotboogie wrote: »
    It looks exactly like it did before the fire. Still no equipment in there.

I was trying to remember whether I’d seen any furniture in there or not, I’m surprised they didn’t close it off like the other shops though. Still nice to see more shops than I thought there would be returning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

What is that supposed to mean?

traffic already bad on douglas road, east douglas street and douglas relief road. How is Church street, any better?

https://twitter.com/Buseireann/status/1326921977219702786
    In fairness, Bus Eireann should just retweet that every day around 5pm reagrdless.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

^ i was speaking from my own experience, not the tweet, sorry. crazy today too. traffic up maryborough hill past the police station, by the carrigaline road/church road junction and the relief road bumper to bumper heading north. around 3pm. Obviously cars are to blame for traffic and if you're in it you're the traffic, but still, it wasn't this bad over the last 15 months ever, even on school mornings. church street even improved a lot too when they removed the parking there so normal flow could continue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I went in there yesterday around 6 pm and traffic seemed below normal (pre-2020) levels, Tesco and M&S didn't seem too busy. I guess the novelty has worn off already, but it's good to have the place back open, and definitely good to see sprinklers in the car park this time :)

Does anyone know if the Tesco will be doing Click & Collect? Did they do it there before? I didn't see it as an available option on the website yesterday. Would be a nicer option than Mahon when there's horizontal rain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Gru

Does anyone know if the Tesco will be doing Click & Collect? Did they do it there before? I didn't see it as an available option on the website yesterday. Would be a nicer option than Mahon when there's horizontal rain...

Tesco Douglas never did click and collect but that is not to say they would,

Whats bothering me now though is the section's being blocked off as "non essential", you cannot access whiteboard markers or stationary/school supplies or even toys in Douglas as they are upstairs, yet Smyths amongst others can sell theirs, Dunnes have moved drapery xmas items into the grocery aisles, Especially when you know something that needs to be sold soon is out of stock in Smyths (Lego advent calendar) and in stock in Tesco! :confused:

Tesco need to set up a click and collect desk at the top of the escalators, with people q'ing socially distanced on them maybe or at the end of the escalators for things up stairs that maybe staff could run and get for you even if it's limited to 2 or 5 items per person, and even if it was a dedicated "Tesco Mobile" phone they used for it where you stood there to "phone and collect"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Spotted the carpark filling up this morning from the south ring! One enterprising person had gone straight to the top floor.

I always use the top floor...easy parking and less chance of a ding :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Gru wrote: »
    Whats bothering me now though is the section's being blocked off as "non essential", you cannot access whiteboard markers or stationary/school supplies or even toys in Douglas as they are upstairs, yet Smyths amongst others can sell theirs,

The entirety of Smyths is blocked off though isn't it? You have to go online, same as Tesco Click and Collect elsewhere if you want to get those items (assuming they supply them through click and collect)

TheChizler wrote: »
    The entirety of Smyths is blocked off though isn't it? You have to go online, same as Tesco Click and Collect elsewhere if you want to get those items (assuming they supply them through click and collect)

they don't have certain toys online, so as of right now, you could buy it from smyths (click and collect) but it is out of stock (everywhere that sells them is sold out) but Tesco can't sell them to you but they are in stock...

so i'm hoping IF the level doesn't go down, Tesco Douglas will find a way to work a click/phone and collect for items not on the website but that are in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Tk Maxx is setting up like mad!

CEX is re-opening in Douglas, they have a sign in the window looking for staff and some work was going on in store,

Nothing seems to be happening in Sheehans but you can see their shelves and pig are still in there under the shutter.

Bookstation have re-stocked,

and Cork city FC shop is moving into the corner unit by Eurogiant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Gru wrote: »
    CEX is re-opening in Douglas, they have a sign in the window looking for staff and some work was going on in store,

Nothing seems to be happening in Sheehans but you can see their shelves and pig are still in there under the shutter.

Bookstation have re-stocked,

and Cork city FC shop is moving into the corner unit by Eurogiant

Sheehans in a dispute over the rent price aparantly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

TK Maxx are looking for Christmas staff so they should be open soon enough m!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Is there any hope of Alphasud going back into the car park? They were brilliant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,859 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Music Zone and CEX back in, or located elsewhere, if so where?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Music Zone and CEX back in, or located elsewhere, if so where?

CEX are back anyway - music zone still looked closed the last time I was there (but that was Friday week ago)

Is there any hope of Alphasud going back into the car park? They were brilliant!

They closed their other outlet in Blarney also but you'd never know. They were brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭RINO87

Augeo wrote: »
    They closed their other outlet in Blarney also but you'd never know. They were brilliant.

I think just Blarney couldnt sustain them until Douglas was able to re-open so they have had to move on to other things. I agree, their work was top class and would be great to have them back somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Cork Lass wrote: »

"allegedly resulting in a major fire on August 31st 2019"

Allegedly :pac:

I think that one's pretty conclusive, lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

"allegedly resulting in a major fire on August 31st 2019"

Allegedly :pac:

I think that one's pretty conclusive, lads.

The sole fact of the fire is not the question here. The alleged fact is the relationship between prior actions of the defendants and the fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Three years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,859 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What happened to the fire starter in the recalled car? Any prosecution or sued?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Advertisement