Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

dulpit wrote: »
    Where could you place the gardai though to safely ensure traffic flows?

There's a hard shoulder isn't there? Memory blank as I always pull off at Douglas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

There's a hard shoulder isn't there? Memory blank as I always pull off at Douglas

No hard shoulder in that spot, hardly room for 2 lanes!
    Perhaps mounting surveillance cameras with signposting might help?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Sure sounds like it.

A good thing they don't train pilots in simulators...otherwise all they'd be good at is computer games, right?

Might be news to you, but pilots aren’t trained in simulators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

Sure sounds like it.

A good thing they don't train pilots in simulators...otherwise all they'd be good at is computer games, right?

I believe that pilots also train in aircraft...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

WTF do pilots have to do with Douglas Village Shopping Centre!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k0SmqbBIpQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I believe that pilots also train in aircraft...

This is far far far beyond the topic.
    I said that there was no reason we couldn't have periodically scheduled simulated retests. Another poster said that would simply result in people who were good at computer games. It's a tangential discussion. At best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

This is far far far beyond the topic.

Stratospherically so...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Colleague took this pic driving past (in a bus!), looks like there are still a few cars in there.

495834.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

opus wrote: »
    Colleague took this pic driving past (in a bus!), looks like there are still a few cars in there.

495834.jpg

All the burned out ones bar the Zafira remain inside and are being removed with the rubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Might be news to you, but pilots aren’t trained in simulators.

Airline pilots are probably tested more than any other profession. Every 12 months, pilots must complete the following:
    - Pass a medical assessment ensuring they are fit to fly (reduces to every 6 months above a certain age).
    - Complete a ‘Line Check’. This is a bit like a driving test, but in the aircraft. An examiner observes you operating the aircraft to ensure you are compliant with company rules and regulations and are doing the job to a proficient standard.
    - Every 6 months, pilots must go into the simulator where they practice emergency procedures whilst being assessed by an examiner over a couple of days.
    - Complete technical testing to ensure they maintain a high level of technical proficiency on their aircraft type.
    - Complete Crew Resource Management (CRM) Training. This is where pilots are taught about how human factors can affect flight safety.
    Aviation Security Training
    - Winter Operations Course
    - Dangerous Goods Examination
    If the pilot fails any element of these, he or she is removed from flight duties and could ultimately loose their job.

https://www.flightdeckfriend.com/yearly-training-requirements-for-airline-pilots/

There you go :) Maybe next time try googling before spouting your nonsense.

Back onto topic i think that even with fencing you will have people who will slow down to hopefully spot a gap in the fence or try peek over it. Eventually you would hope this would stop and traffic would flow freely again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Will they knock everything first and then start re-building? Or will it go in phases? Any idea about timelines?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Will they knock everything first and then start re-building? Or will it go in phases? Any idea about timelines?

Will it be like-for-like?
    Surely after the original/initial build they have some ideas/thoughts about things that worked well and not-so-well first time round!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

It was originally built in 3 seperate sections.
    The middle one only is being knocked and replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Will it be like-for-like?
    Surely after the original/initial build they have some ideas/thoughts about things that worked well and not-so-well first time round!

I think they said they will build it to the same design, so they won't need new planning permission, etc.

Of course, they could fit sprinklers...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Dbu wrote: »
    It was originally built in 3 seperate sections.
    The middle one only is being knocked and replaced

There's bound to be another assessment after it's knocked as the potential for weakness in the remaining two sections must be a real concern. Wouldn't surprise. Me to see the whole car park knocked to be honest but no evidence on that, just my own thoughts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Woman driver causes all this who would of ever foreseen this

Only messin

Heard it was smoking going in

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

mean gene wrote: »

Only messin

Hahaha haha, casual sexism is so funny. Haha hahaha. -_-

Also, it wasn't: http://www.redfm.ie/news/cork/the-car-that-started-a-huge-blaze-at-douglas-village-shopping-centre-was-not-on-fire-when-it-entered-the-multi-storey-car-park/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Of course, they could fit sprinklers...

sprinklers are already fitted in areas where sprinklers would have an effect, they would have done nothing to stop what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

mean gene wrote:

You heard wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

mean gene wrote: »

Only messin

The manager was on Red Fm and they confirmed it wasn't!

• Advertisement

Still going to be interesting to see who foots the bill, the Zafira driver's insurance (If she had any, if not the M.I.B.I) or Opel Ireland if the car was recalled and the notice went unanswered would it be a split 50/50 bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

But, but he said, "only messin", so it wasn't sexism, at all!

That's the first reliable report I've heard on whether the car was on fire entering or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

.. Opel Ireland if the car was recalled and the notice went unanswered would it be a split 50/50 bill?

that's what I was wondering, I presume there was a recall on these affected models but I wonder did the owner not react to the recall?

If the car was bought second or third hand, which is often the case, and a lot of the time it's private sale, how would the owner know about a recall?
    I would think it's 100% down to Opel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Odelay

airy fairy wrote: »
    If the car was bought second or third hand, which is often the case, and a lot of the time it's private sale, how would the owner know about a recall?

It’s done via the office in Shannon where the log book goes. They can release information to the manufacture for safety related recall notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Yep ...we bought a zaFIREa last year and we got the latest recall a few months later ...got it done within the week ...

If Opel can show they have exhausted all avenues by sending letters to the registered owners, be it past and/or present and the paper trail is there to back it up and the car was still not handed over, surely the onus is then on the owner? I've never owned one of those vehicles nor will i ever, but you would need to be living on planet Mars to not know there's been recalls on these. Most people who have them have young children, so you'd think their safety would be paramount. Instead we allegedly have the owner in this case trying to sue both Douglas Village Shopping Centre and Opel, i look forward to seeing how it plays out.

If Opel can show they have exhausted all avenues by sending letters to the registered owners, be it past and/or present and the paper trail is there to back it up and the car was still not handed over, surely the onus is then on the owner? I've never owned one of those vehicles nor will i ever, but you would need to be living on planet Mars to not know there's been recalls on these. Most people who have them have young children, so you'd think their safety would be paramount. Instead we allegedly have the owner in this case trying to sue both Douglas Village Shopping Centre and Opel, i look forward to seeing how it plays out.

How do you know the owner is trying to sue?
    Seems outrageous that someone thinks the centre is liable.

How do you know the owner is trying to sue?
    Seems outrageous that someone thinks the centre is liable.

It was mentioned on Social Media at the outset, i don't know was it on this thread but i'm not going back through all the comments to find out either. allegedly the lady informed a security guard about the vehicle being on fire and he fail/refused to act on it in accordance with her instructions. Again this is an allegation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

It was mentioned on Social Media at the outset, i don't know was it on this thread but i'm not going back through all the comments to find out either. allegedly the lady informed a security guard about the vehicle being on fire and he fail/refused to act on it in accordance with her instructions. Again this is an allegation.

Even if the security didn't do anything it would be irrelevant to the car owner suing (if there is any truth to that at all). He would be under no obligation to put a fire out in someone's car.

Advertisement