Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

We have a reliable report that it was not smoking on entering (not bullet proof evidence, granted)........................

This report was described as "proof".
    What's reliable about CCTV viewing ? I don't get why this is deemed so reliable. CCTV is rarely as good as you'd like it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Passed earlier, as a passenger!
    The place looks shambolic!
    I honestly can't see how they're going to patch up certain areas of the structure without compromising the rest.
    The smoke and fire clearly licked through the concrete floors, fire damage clear to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Augeo wrote: »
    This report was described as "proof".
    What's reliable about CCTV viewing ? I don't get why this is deemed so reliable. CCTV is rarely as good as you'd like it to be.

Why do you want the car smoking on entry to be the truth?

Why do you want the car smoking on entry to be the truth?

I never suggested I "want" that at all.
    I'm merely pointing out that the manager's comments are based on viewing CCTV so aren't proof of anything.

Do you want the car not smoking on entry to be the truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Augeo wrote: »

Do you want the car not smoking on entry to be the truth?

It's the option with some evidence for it.
    The other option has nothing backing it up.

But the stupid woman driving into the car park with her car on fire is a much better story!

• Advertisement

But the stupid woman driving into the car park with her car on fire is a much better story!

As mentioned by someone if it was the suspected blower resistor pack in the Zafira, smoke would be flowing into the cabin of the car first. The car wouldn't appear to be on fire as such :)

I can see why the shopping centre manager is very keen to "prove" the car wasn't smoking on entry .......... this ladies account of events suggests that when it was actually on fire things were still quite chillaxed in the centre.......

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/everything-was-moving-very-slowly-shopper-describes-fire-which-engulfed-douglas-car-park-947529.html

"I could see a small fire and some smoke. I was a little nervous because at that stage I didn't know where it was coming from so I turned my car back in the opposite direction. I was at the junction where you can turn right to exit or turn left to head towards Level Two. I parked further down on Level One and got out to see what was happening. I wish now I had parked further away.

"I could see a small fire and some smoke. I was a little nervous because at that stage I didn't know where it was coming from so I turned my car back in the opposite direction. I was at the junction where you can turn right to exit or turn left to head towards Level Two. I parked further down on Level One and got out to see what was happening. I wish now I had parked further away.

"At that point, there was a couple of people standing around looking at what was happening. At first, I thought maybe there was a fire in Dennehy's Gym but a man said it was a car. There were shoppers returning to their cars and the group of people watching grew.

"There was no panic at all at that stage. It was around 7pm. About 20-25 people had gathered. I did not hear a fire alarm going off and no sprinklers came on. We were standing around for about 10 minutes watching," she said.

Ms Forde, from Rochestown Road, said she saw just one security guard at that point and no-one seemed to be moving. Then the security guard started to move people along.

"My impression was that everything was moving very slowly. The reaction was slow. It did not look as if the fire was being dealt with," she said.

The security guard moved the shoppers towards the travelator. Ms Forde said the smoke had started to thicken. As they made their way to the travelator she didn't notice a steel door lowering and she hit her head. The shoppers were then asked to leave their shopping at the top of the travelator and to go downstairs. They were told the fire brigade was on the way."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The first rumour I heard was that the cctv showed the car smoking at it went in, it kind of disproves that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

sprinklers are already fitted in areas where sprinklers would have an effect, they would have done nothing to stop what happened.

It was posted somewhere here (or in a similar thread) where an assessment was done on a similar recent car park fire in the UK, and it was suggested sprinklers could have effectively mitigated the spread of fire, or at the very least have reduced temperatures in the area of the fire.

Sprinklers would invariably have slowed down what happened....perhaps to an extent that when the fire brigade arrived they'd have had a smaller issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

It was posted somewhere here (or in a similar thread) where an assessment was done on a similar recent car park fire in the UK, and it was suggested sprinklers could have effectively mitigated the spread of fire, or at the very least have reduced temperatures in the area of the fire.

it was also posted here that given the type of fire and the stuff that comes out of sprinklers they would have had no impact mitigating the spread of the fire, anyway, as the old fella says, that ship has sailed.

• Advertisement

What evidence are you referring to? Was there anything to back up such claims?
    ...the stuff that comes out of sprinklers...

It's called water :) And you know what the fire brigade used to put out the fire?

https://www.engineersireland.ie/EngineersIreland/media/SiteMedia/groups/Divisions/structures/SCOSS-Alert-Fire-in-Multi-Storey-Car-Parks.pdf?ext=.pdf
    • A sprinkler system was effective at controlling a developing fire.
    • A sprinkler system was equally as effective at controlling a fully developed fire.
    • Without sprinklers, fire is likely to spread from car to car.
    • With sprinklers, spread of fire is unlikely.
    The NFCC (UK National Fire Chiefs Council) recommend that consideration is given to installing sprinklers in open sided car parks to protect
    property, including the fabric of the building. While there have been few incidences of fatalities in car parks,
    there have been recorded fatalities to firefighters due to structural collapse abroad.

If it meant a sprinkler system could have prevented structural damage to the car park, that would have made a significant difference to this whole mess.

A car going on fire shouldn't really result in a shopping centre being out of business for 12 months.
    There are posters here seemingly defiant that nothing could have been done to avoid this.

Sprinklers wouldn't have helped ? :pac:
    Sweet Jebus ........... that's laughable.

It wasn't mandated by law to install them in Douglas so therefore they weren't ....... some RA was no doubt carried out ......fair enough. To argue sprinklers wouldn't have resulted in less damage is totally and utterly ridiculous....... or do we need the centre's manager's view on this ?

Well, everyone was safely evacuated from the building and there were no injuries - safety was acceptable by those standards.

It's the structural damage leading to loss of services and business that was not considered. It will be interesting to see if sprinklers or something else is implemented in a different way when it is reconstructed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Westbound carriageway backed up to the Douglas flyover from the tunnel mouth atm.

Something badly needs to get done to address it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

marno21 wrote: »
    Westbound carriageway backed up to the Douglas flyover from the tunnel mouth atm.

Something badly needs to get done to address it

I got stuck in it in the last hour, nearly had a van drive into the back of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I got stuck in it in the last hour, nearly had a van drive into the back of me.

It’s insane...the minute you pass Tesco it starts moving. They have to do something about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Rfrip wrote: »
    It’s insane...the minute you pass Tesco it starts moving. They have to do something about it

Yeah, i was coming from the N28 to the N40 via Bloomfield, As you say, once you pass Tesco the speed picks up again, i thought with the day that was in it traffic may have been backed up from the KRR, but nope, rubberneckers galore, sadly i don't see anything being done about it unless there is a fatality as a result and even then there will be some excuse not to erect a screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Saw this in the paper during the week, fairly extensive demolition

douglascp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Rubber necking has always been bad in Cork, but lately it's been even worse.

Someones going to end up seriously hurt because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Wonder if either of those cars will survive?

• Advertisement

At the contractor meeting this afternoon Gardai have confirmed that the contractors are to erect screening to prevent the rubbernecking.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

At the contractor meeting this afternoon Gardai have confirmed that the contractors are to erect screening to prevent the rubbernecking.

Great news - but why the hell is this pushed onto contractors? Motorway maintenance should be responsible for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Thanks be to....
    It'll still take a week or so to get back to normal...
    And Christmas traffic is probably kicking in...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

They will prob put big ads on the hoarding which people will slow down to read.

Ludo wrote: »
    They will prob put big ads on the hoarding which people will slow down to read.

I remember a good few years back in London they put a wonderbra advert on a billboard and the accident rate went through the roof, they had to remove it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I remember a good few years back in London they put a wonderbra advert on a billboard and the accident rate went through the roof, they had to remove it

What? The bra ? That would have increased the accident rate...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Thankfully common sense has prevailed, maybe our little thread made a difference (probably not), still, very happy this is finally going to be erected.

Ironically we'll have a slow down and rubbernecking while the screen is installed as people slow to look at the screen going up!

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Its-amazing-nobody-has-been-killed-Screen-to-be-erected-at-Douglas-flyover-fcaaf812-5245-46a3-abb8-9876761340e5-ds

murphym7 wrote: »
    Thankfully common sense has prevailed, maybe our little thread made a difference (probably not), still, very happy this is finally going to be erected.

Ironically we'll have a slow down and rubbernecking while the screen is installed as people slow to look at the screen going up!

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Its-amazing-nobody-has-been-killed-Screen-to-be-erected-at-Douglas-flyover-fcaaf812-5245-46a3-abb8-9876761340e5-ds

Our little thread did indeed get thrown into the mix

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I remain to be convinced, there was always a slowdown there, even before the shopping centre was built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

The scaffolding for the screen is flying up.

Advertisement