Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Heard this morning from someone I know (reliable) in the retail trade that TK Maxx have indicated they have no interest in going back into the centre when it reopens. There's apparently a minimum tenancy agreement but that would have expired by the time (if) the centre reopens. With Born now in Mahon and Merchants Quay I can't see them going back in either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Heard this morning from someone I know (reliable) in the retail trade that TK Maxx have indicated they have no interest in going back into the centre when it reopens. There's apparently a minimum tenancy agreement but that would have expired by the time (if) the centre reopens. With Born now in Mahon and Merchants Quay I can't see them going back in either.

Would be good to get an idea of exactly how many of the existing units will reopen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

TheChizler wrote: »
    I remain to be convinced, there was always a slowdown there, even before the shopping centre was built.

Those who suffer from the 'fear' slam on the brakes when they realise there is no hard shoulder there, Its all too much for their feeble brains to take in.

Would be good to get an idea of exactly how many of the existing units will reopen.

It's the anchor ones that could affect it although the smaller units in the middle took the bigger hit on livelihoods.

O'Briens always did a good trade, but apart from traffic through Tesco, I don't remember seeing many of the others jammed so will be interesting. M&S always seemed quiet, especially the cafe, Starbucks you could always get a seat, new chemist opposite the centre could do for the one that was there. Bresnans are unlikely to go back in, no Born, and with Lidl opening as well.

Will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It's the anchor ones that could affect it although the smaller units in the middle took the bigger hit on livelihoods.

O'Briens always did a good trade, but apart from traffic through Tesco, I don't remember seeing many of the others jammed so will be interesting. M&S always seemed quiet, especially the cafe, Starbucks you could always get a seat, new chemist opposite the centre could do for the one that was there. Bresnans are unlikely to go back in, no Born, and with Lidl opening as well.

Will be interesting

I got a delivery from Bresnans a few weeks ago and he said he had been trying to get into Douglas Court for weeks but they wouldn't take his calls! Not sure on your other takes, I always though Starbucks were doing a far better trade than O'Briens, M&S just expanded before the fire, really doubtful that they were struggling. Ultimately as long as they get Tesco, M&S and TK Max back, others will follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

dulpit wrote: »
    Wonder if either of those cars will survive?

I thought all those cars were removed..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Those who suffer from the 'fear' slam on the brakes when they realise there is no hard shoulder there, Its all too much for their feeble brains to take in.

The incline of the flyover seems to slow some, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

The incline of the flyover seems to slow some, too.

It is a section of road that does have what road engineers call ' Phantom Traffic Jams '

Here is an explanation of same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3iOE_ymE_w

I cannot help but imagine the fun ahead of us all there when the motorway from Ringaskiddy slips west bound to join the constant stream that will be coming up from Dunkettle..........in 50 or so years time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The weeks of rubbernecking are likely a good indication of what traffic on the south ring will be like once Dunkettle is done and the M28 is built. Blocked up to the tunnel both rush hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Truckermal wrote: »
    I thought all those cars were removed..

Cars in structurally compromised areas were not removed, except for the car that started the fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Markcheese

kub wrote: »
    It is a section of road that does have what road engineers call ' Phantom Traffic Jams '

Here is an explanation of same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3iOE_ymE_w

I cannot help but imagine the fun ahead of us all there when the motorway from Ringaskiddy slips west bound to join the constant stream that will be coming up from Dunkettle..........in 50 or so years time ;)

It mightnt be 2 bad ,the traffic merging at Broomfield is already very high ,
    But the closeness of the junctions from kinsale road to mahon causes drama at the moment , particularly at Douglas

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

Will be interesting

O’Connors pharmacy have opened up in the woollen mills near where DJ cabs used be. Not sure if it’s permanent.

That pharmacy and bresnans had been tenants in the shopping centre for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Just after 10am this morning there was a tailback past the Mahon interchange. The delay was 10 minutes. No accidents or other apparent causes.

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Just after 10am this morning there was a tailback past the Mahon interchange. The delay was 10 minutes. No accidents or other apparent causes.

Rubber neckers looking at the scaffolding for the screen being erected so i believe. Can't win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Karmella wrote: »
    O’Connors pharmacy have opened up in the woollen mills near where DJ cabs used be. Not sure if it’s permanent.

Have Bresnans always been there?
    Were they there when Macs meats were there also?
    I think it's the end of Douglas Village bSC as we know it.
    I miss it hugely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Karmella wrote: »

Barters (Travel Agent) have moved to Claremont Avenue (Alongside Allcare Pharmacy and the former Carry Out/Fine Wines store)

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Barters (Travel Agent) have moved to Claremont Avenue (Alongside Allcare Pharmacy and the former Carry Out/Fine Wines store)

Ha I've driven past it loads of times thinking where do I know the name from... Makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Rubber neckers looking at the scaffolding for the screen being erected so i believe. Can't win

How can you simultaneously complain about action and lack of action?!

grogi wrote: »
    How can you simultaneously complain about action and no action?!

I’m not complaining, it’s a factual reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I’m not complaining, it’s a factual reality.

Lack of action is permanent, nothing changes. Same old...

Action at least brings change and there is a chance of things getting better.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Lack of action is permanent, nothing changes. Same old...

Action at least brings change and there is a chance of things getting better.

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I'm sure it's been noted, but due to the closure of the road between the shopping centre and the ring road, there's so much more traffic on Church St.

The junction between it and South Douglas Rd. is now constantly busy. Bad for traffic, and pedestrians given there's no lights/crossing there. It seems to flow well enough, probably because of the lack of lights. But cars and pedestrians are really 'chancing it', darting out into gaps. It probably needs something done before that street opens again.

who_me wrote: »
    I'm sure it's been noted, but due to the closure of the road between the shopping centre and the ring road, there's so much more traffic on Church St.

The junction between it and South Douglas Rd. is now constantly busy. Bad for traffic, and pedestrians given there's no lights/crossing there. It seems to flow well enough, probably because of the lack of lights. But cars and pedestrians are really 'chancing it', darting out into gaps. It probably needs something done before that street opens again.

I'm at a loss as to how that road was permitted to remain in private ownership despite being used by the public, i know it was the old car park and that, surely so if something happened on it then liability rests with the shopping centre? You are the first one to say it is now busier since the road/shopping centre was shut, others have said the reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

It is far busier, in laws live on that road there's constant traffic when there was only occasional traffic before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I'm at a loss as to how that road was permitted to remain in private ownership despite being used by the public, i know it was the old car park and that, surely so if something happened on it then liability rests with the shopping centre? You are the first one to say it is now busier since the road/shopping centre was shut, others have said the reverse.

Yes Church Road is indeed busier, but my own commute is a lot easier heading past Douglas Court and up the Douglas Road due to the fact that the lights are now only for pedestrians at the Shopping Centre junction.
    Some of us are benefiting in the short term, I hope in the long term that the City Council have plans and a long term solution for traffic in the village, at least they have experienced urban traffic problems and have some solutions as opposed to their County colleagues.
    Who in all their time did nothing but made the traffic in Douglas worse.

Apparently one of the cars that came down with the demolition was a 192 Peugeot... Ouch

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Apparently one of the cats that came down with the demolition was a 192 Peugeot... Ouch

Meeow

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

...You are the first one to say it is now busier since the road/shopping centre was shut, others have said the reverse.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111796954&postcount=730 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

TheChizler wrote: »
    I remain to be convinced, there was always a slowdown there, even before the shopping centre was built.

Naw. I've been driving home around 4.30 after work on the N40 from the tunnel heading to the Kinsale roundabout for the last 4 years and it was never as bad as it is now. The main slowdowns are along the slip roads where idiots come off the slips at 60/80kph trying to merge with traffic moving at 100kph and bigger idiots slow down or brake to let them in leading to the knock on affect further back. Coming out of the tunnel heading to glanmire every morning the amount of cars on the slip travelling at stupid slow speeds and actually braking as they try to merge is ridiculous.

This is still happening but combined with the rubbernecking is making things twice as bad. I watch the cams at www.dunkettletraffic.ie at work and sure as **** from 4 onwards every day all you can see is brake lights coming on and traffic coming to a halt at bloomfield. Get past the Douglas flyover and its freeflowing again.

People need to get up to speed when merging, people need to stop braking or slowing down to let them merge and people need to stop gawking at a ****ing building site.

If you're going anywhere like Togher, the Lough etc. go out Tivoli direction, its usually fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Was driving past last night in a group of maybe 6 cars, no other cars visible ahead of us as far as you could see. The two cars in front and their tailgaters braked harshly where the hard shoulder narrows by KFC, nowhere near the shopping centre yet. Fine if that makes you nervous slow down by taking your foot off but don't brake in an otherwise clear road, the braking causes the concertina effect that totally stops traffic. Also don't tailgate. I had been keeping a 3-4 second gap as I was expecting it but still had to hover over the brake as slowing naturally nearly wasn't enough.

Advertisement