Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

TheChizler wrote: »
    Was driving past last night in a group of maybe 6 cars, no other cars visible ahead of us as far as you could see. The two cars in front and their tailgaters braked harshly where the hard shoulder narrows by KFC, nowhere near the shopping centre yet. Fine if that makes you nervous slow down by taking your foot off but don't brake in an otherwise clear road, the braking causes the concertina effect that totally stops traffic. Also don't tailgate. I had been keeping a 3-4 second gap as I was expecting it but still had to hover over the brake as slowing naturally nearly wasn't enough.

Yup thats the thing. People braking instead of just easing off the accelerator. People see brake lights in front and then they brake too and on and on it goes behind. As an aside the amount of people who automatically brake at an approaching vehicle in the opposite lane when there's room to get the moon between them..the fcuk is that about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Well the scaffolding barrier is up , don't think the mesh to block the view is yet, now though ever one is going to be looking at the scaffolding, and it is impressive ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Jeju

Markcheese wrote: »
    Well the scaffolding barrier is up , don't think the mesh to block the view is yet, now though ever one is going to be looking at the scaffolding, and it is impressive ...

I was passing westbound yesterday morning and they had the end and a few meters roadside done with the mesh but when I was coming back later it was taken down again. Maybe they thought better of putting it up prior to the storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Any update on the 2 cars still visible? One looks like a Nissan Qashqai literally on the edge now since the demolition. Are they coming down with the rest of the floor or can they be recovered from that position externally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

There is only two days of experience but has anyone else noticed that since the "blocking" has gone up on the screens at Douglas that rubbernecking westbound has completely stopped and that the N40 - in the evenings anyway - is now freeflow again westbound?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭Rfrip

There is only two days of experience but has anyone else noticed that since the "blocking" has gone up on the screens at Douglas that rubbernecking westbound has completely stopped and that the N40 - in the evenings anyway - is now freeflow again westbound?

Last two evenings have been totally fine thank god...up until then it’s been slow from the tunnel until Tesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Drove past there earlier - no bother. Amazing the difference this has made.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Two days last week I drove past at rush hour and there was no issue, phantom traffic jams come and go out of nowhere, too early to say with any certainty that there's any difference I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I dunno... fine tonight too. Every day I've gone eastbound before the hoarding the south ring was blocked up to the tunnel, and the day after the hoarding went up the traffic had gone and has been gone every night since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I have to agree, traffic eastbound is back to normal and the idiots are not slowing down anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Dunkettle to the Kinsale R/A around 4-5pm is pretty much back to how it was before the fire all this week. Can't be a coincidence that this happened pretty much the day they blocked off the view. Like I posted before these mental tailbacks only started after the fire and now it seems ok again. While there was always a very slight slowdown around there it was never as stupid as its been since the fire.

Looking forward to the school christmas holidays and things will be even better. If only it was like summer holiday months everyday....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Heckler wrote: »
    Dunkettle to the Kinsale R/A around 4-5pm is pretty much back to how it was before the fire all this week. Can't be a coincidence that this happened pretty much the day they blocked off the view. Like I posted before these mental tailbacks only started after the fire and now it seems ok again. While there was always a very slight slowdown around there it was never as stupid as its been since the fire.

Looking forward to the school christmas holidays and things will be even better. If only it was like summer holiday months everyday....

Yep going westbound this morning was fine aswell except for the normal nervous driver's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

It's a ridiculous situation that the screens were needed.

Previously in the thread there was a discussion that Douglas is flowing better now too...is there an argument to be made for leaving this road closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Previously in the thread there was a discussion that Douglas is flowing better now too...is there an argument to be made for leaving this road closed?

Yes traffic in Douglas has been flowing freely since this road has been closed.

Last couple of days I've been stuck in tailbacks as far as Mahon, originating where they always have... No crashes while I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

How do customers get into the centre then when it re-opens?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ludo wrote: »
    How do customers get into the centre then when it re-opens?

Could put a block in the middle so you can't drive straight through?

dulpit wrote: »
    Could put a block in the middle so you can't drive straight through?

I won't be facetious by suggesting people can walk there, but yes that's what I had in mind. Perhaps entrance to the mall from one road, exit to the other road? You can tell that I don't tend to think of the needs of customers driving to the mall as a primary consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Dbu wrote: »

Which junction? I'm sure the junction at the Eastern end of the shopping centre is much quieter, given there's no traffic to/from the shopping centre and no access to the Ring Rd. on-ramp from there. The Church St. / South Douglas Rd. junction is far busier; as more traffic has to take that route to get to the on-ramp now.

As there are no lights at the junction traffic does move steadily, if slowly; but it's pretty dangerous, especially for pedestrians with no crossing there. You pretty much just have to walk through the traffic as there's no other option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Last couple of days I've been stuck in tailbacks as far as Mahon, originating where they always have... No crashes while I was there.

Me too it's back to the same ****e in the Morning anyway going Westbound...

Dbu wrote: »

Less traffic......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

What should happen is one way traffic in the Church Street and in front of Tesco... This would create alike roundabout and once priority is given to the cars inside, the traffic would flow smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

grogi wrote: »
    What should happen is one way traffic in the Church Street and in front of Tesco... This would create alike roundabout and once priority is given to the cars inside, the traffic would flow smoothly.

Spoke to a city councillor before about a similar idea elsewhere, they would not go for it stating that studies have shown that one way streets have cars travelling faster and therefore are more dangerous. Personally I think they should at least trial it.

Spoke to a city councillor before about a similar idea elsewhere, they would not go for it stating that studies have shown that one way streets have cars travelling faster and therefore are more dangerous. Personally I think they should at least trial it.

That's interesting... My own experience tells me that the wider the available space is, the faster they go. Allow parking on both sides and cars slow down significantly.

Or widen the footpath! It's a busy enough walkway as it is

Or widen the footpath! It's a busy enough walkway as it is

But this requires cash to do resurfacing. Assigining parking is only paint...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Augeo wrote: »
    Less traffic......

Not at 8.15am

Interesting conversation and ideas guys! I think a narrow one-way street and wide pedestrian section would be good for Douglas. The market takes place on a very small sliver of footpath right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Interesting conversation and ideas guys! I think a narrow one-way street and wide pedestrian section would be good for Douglas. The market takes place on a very small sliver of footpath right now.

There have been suggestions in the past to make the street one way on Saturdays ,and either expand the market or just give it a bit more space ,
    I think it's been an eye-opener to some how many people the market draws in on a Saturday ...(even with the centre closed )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement