Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

Jayses, it looks like Belgrade after the NATO strike in 99'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

Jayses, it looks like Belgrade after the NATO strike in 99'

Are they going to try and get the Qashqui out I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Imagine this: Don't rebuild the centre or reopen the road. Plant trees to screen off the N40. Take the Douglas river out of the culvert and turn the whole area into a landscaped riverside park. Include open space for the market, some surface parking, and some retail outlets for small retailers and cafés.

Not going to happen in a million years though!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Imagine this: Don't rebuild the centre or reopen the road. Plant trees to screen off the N40. Take the Douglas river out of the culvert and turn the whole area into a landscaped riverside park. Include open space for the market, some surface parking, and some retail outlets for small retailers and cafés.

What?
    Actually make Douglas nice again??

You're crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

Dbu wrote: »
    Yes traffic in Douglas has been flowing freely since this road has been closed.

Only flowing freely because people are not shopping in Douglas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The shopping centre isn't being demolished...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

If you're going to go that far at least ditch the surface parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

TheBully wrote: »

Morning traffic (school and work traffic) has not changed and flows 10 times better at that hour since that section of road closed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

TheBully wrote: »

I don't know if that's necessarily true. The traffic flow to/from the shopping centre wasn't all that huge from what I saw. I will admit that i wasn't there often though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Classic Braess' paradox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

grogi wrote: »
    Classic Braess' paradox

That's what I think also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

It’s not that hard to understand. The closed road caused huge issues for north - south traffic. We have inadequate junctions with several sets of traffic lights in much too close proximity.

No doubt in my mind that this would improve traffic flow for most users.

The whole Douglas road and lights network as a whole is woeful, probably designed remotely from Belmullet;)
    For example it took months to convince the County council that the lights between Barrys and O'Driscolls are better being left permanently switched off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Demolish the center and widen the Douglas Viaduct on the N40! Make the remainder in to a park.

Demolish the center and widen the Douglas Viaduct on the N40! Make the remainder in to a park.

With Douglas Court so near and now picking up the lost business of the village shopping centre this wouldn't be a bad idea, but all the council are interested in is revenue intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

With Douglas Court so near and now picking up the lost business of the village shopping centre this wouldn't be a bad idea, but all the council are interested in is revenue intake.
    But dunnes is rubbish compared to tesco. And having an enclosed car park was a godsend for those of us with small children..

dulpit wrote: »
    But dunnes is rubbish compared to tesco. And having an enclosed car park was a godsend for those of us with small children..

I’ve a load of small children myself. Tesco is a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I'd be amazed if Tesco go back in with the market share they've probably lost, Additionally both Dunnes and Tesco will lose some sales to the new Aldi.

Personally I'm not a lover of Dunnes and now drive up to Supervalu Grange as its a lovely store and has the Aldi next to it. I doubt I'd change back to Tesco even if they do reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I'd be amazed if Tesco go back in with the market share they've probably lost, Additionally both Dunnes and Tesco will lose some sales to the new Aldi.

Personally I'm not a lover of Dunnes and now drive up to Supervalu Grange as its a lovely store and has the Aldi next to it. I doubt I'd change back to Tesco even if they do reopen.

They wouldn't rebuild without Tesco committing. I'm pretty sure Tesco publicly committed shortly after the fire. Nothing at all has happened on the cinema site, despite aldi promising to be open by March

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

snotboogie wrote: »
    They wouldn't rebuild without Tesco committing. I'm pretty sure Tesco publicly committed shortly after the fire. Nothing at all has happened on the cinema site, despite aldi promising to be open by March

MMD Construction are working on site where the cinema building is, so it is work in progress.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    MMD Construction are working on site where the cinema building is, so it is work in progress.

Are Apcoa in charge of that car park for the time being? Was full yesterday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Are Apcoa in charge of that car park for the time being? Was full yesterday morning.

They used to be up to around 12 months ago AFAIK, I suppose people are chancing it now and it will only get busier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

kub wrote: »
    They used to be up to around 12 months ago AFAIK, I suppose people are chancing it now and it will only get busier.

APCOA haven’t managed the car park for 12 months as you say, it’s been a clamper free zone since. Douglas needs the spaces right now with the multi-storey out of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

APCOA haven’t managed the car park for 12 months as you say, it’s been a clamper free zone since. Douglas needs the spaces right now with the multi-storey out of action.

Really? I parked there the other day for an hour and it's still listed on their app, so I paid the 1.40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Has anybody heard anything about the progress being made in the shopping centre ?

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Has anybody heard anything about the progress being made in the shopping centre ?

On the RedFM website that it will reopen in August

That in my opinion would be a minor miracle
    Demolition is not even completed yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Hibernicis wrote: »
    Has anybody heard anything from a reliable source about the progress being made in the shopping centre ?

Fixing my original post

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Did they say which year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Which decade?

Advertisement