Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Which decade?

Redfm typically operates in the 80’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Some photos showing the extent of the demolition as of last week

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/New-images-of-fire-damaged-Cork-shopping-centre-show-extent-of-demolition-works-08adf28e-55ce-4c91-99a0-4755064ab68d-ds

Still talking about a summer 2020 reopening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

The replacement steel work is going up now so the reconstruction phase is well underway.

I noticed this on my way home today.

Person Who works in Tesco douglas told me they are going back there start of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Person Who works in Tesco douglas told me they are going back there start of August.

Im not an engineer but IMO there is no way that building will be rebuilt by then. Its almost March now
    Demolition isn't finished yet

• Advertisement

Dbu wrote: »
    Im not an engineer but IMO there is no way that building will be rebuilt by then. Its almost March now
    Demolition isn't finished yet

Building might not be finished But the Tesco side could be. Or maybe they are going back a bit early to clean up, restock etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

2021 by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,494 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Cape Clear wrote: »
    2021 by the looks of it.

As far as I know,the owners are still talking about back of this summer ....
    That multistorey carpark will go up really fast , it's all prefab panels ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I would say the demolitino will take a LOT longer than the construction. Care needs to be taken to ensure integrity of rest of building during demolition. Then new build flies up like a lego house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Ludo wrote: »
    I would say the demolitino will take a LOT longer than the construction. Care needs to be taken to ensure integrity of rest of building during demolition. Then new build flies up like a lego house.

From what I could see, the demolition phase is complete and the reconstruction phase has certainly began.
    As has said earlier, this construction is like mechanno so it should fly up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

Ludo wrote: »

As said above me, demolition is done thank god.

Saw a truck pulling in there last week with loads of steel beams - they're certainly flying with the construction!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Was going by earlier today in the bus and was surprised how much of the frame has already gone up. It's like lego for grown-ups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

who_me wrote: »
    Was going by earlier today in the bus and was surprised how much of the frame has already gone up. It's like lego for grown-ups.

I prefer meccano :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Having to erect a massive screen, at a cost of €120,000, to shield the project from rubbernecking motorists passing by on the N40 flyover

That's a lot for a few coal bags.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A lot of scaffolding on long term rent as well has to be taken into consideration. The scaffolding must be 5/6 storeys high and quite wide also.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The owners of the shopping centre are to sue the seller of the car and Opel for €30 million...

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0713/1153085-shopping-centre-fire/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Best of luck, an 06 Opel, long out of warranty, probably hasnt seen a main dealer service in 10 years.
    How could Opel take responsibility, unless the shopping center can prove beyond doubt that the fire was caused by an inherent flaw with the cars design.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

horgan_p wrote: »
    Best of luck, an 06 Opel, long out of warranty, probably hasnt seen a main dealer service in 10 years.
    How could Opel take responsibility, unless the shopping center can prove beyond doubt that the fire was caused by an inherent flaw with the cars design.

30m is a drop in the ocean to their insurers. Bog slide in Kerry settled for 200m + so won't even go to court if imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There is an inherent flaw with the Zafira B's design though.
    Subject to multiple recalls.
    The case will likely seek to apportion liability on the basis that a known manufacturing defect that has been subject to multiple recalls, including a recall fix/remedy that was ineffective and led to a further recall of previously "repaired" vehicles.

This case could be quite an interesting study into how much responsibility lays with the manufacturer of a defective product to ensure the fault is remedied.
    The ownership chain, the recall letters sent and any actual recall work undertaken will all play a large role in determining liability of the manufacturer here.

Where are a car is subject to a safety recall for a known high risk defect?
    How much responsibility attached to the manufacturer to ensure the registered owner of each affected vehicle is contacted and that the defect is remedied?
    Where such a vehicle is then subsequently sold by a dealer? 2nd hand or not. No matter how old it is, what responsibility attached to the dealer to ensure all recall work is completed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Yes, it was an inherent flaw. There was a recall campaign for those resistors.

The question is: how proactive Opel was in tracking the owners? Did the information reach the owners and they ignored it, or the campaign was only advertised to people arriving to the dealer.

A few years ago I purchased a Mazda already in its teens. Two weeks later I received a letter from Mazda Ireland about ongoing recall of airbags. That's what Opel should have been doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

So far there have been four recalls on this model.
    Maybe 4th time lucky to fix the fire hazard.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxhall/zafira/93176/vauxhall-zafira-recall-previously-fixed-cars-recalled-again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Darc19 wrote: »
    So far there have been four recalls on this model.
    Maybe 4th time lucky to fix the fire hazard.

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/vauxhall/zafira/93176/vauxhall-zafira-recall-previously-fixed-cars-recalled-again

Interesting. Not simply an inherent defect but bodgers repairing a thermal fuse that has done its job correctly.

"Healthy fuses use a metal spring that is held in place by a special copper-free solder, designed to release the spring and break the circuit if the temperature reaches 184 degrees Celsius. A replacement unit would cost less than £30, but some repairers have made their own attempts to reconnect the system, including using normal plumbing or electrical solder, which means the fuse won’t break at the required temperature."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

grogi wrote: »

The question is: how proactive Opel was in tracking the owners? Did the information reach the owners and they ignored it, or the campaign was only advertised to people arriving to the dealer.

A few years ago I purchased a Mazda already in its teens. Two weeks later I received a letter from Mazda Ireland about ongoing recall of airbags. That's what Opel should have been doing.

I would imagine, as is the case in a lot of recalls the owner of the car had no clue about it.

Sure I was walking by Penneys only recently and they had two measly and tiny A4 pages on display for recalls, and similar in Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I would imagine, as is the case in a lot of recalls the owner of the car had no clue about it.

Sure I was walking by Penneys only recently and they had two measly and tiny A4 pages on display for recalls, and similar in Lidl.

It's a bit different with a car, the manufacturer can get your name and address off the relevant authorities and you get a letter in the post telling you to contact your local main dealer to book it in for a free repair or replacement part. Think you also get a second and third letter.
    My wife had a Yaris that had 2 recalls in the 5ish years that she owned it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

grogi wrote: »

The issue with Takata airbags is only still being dealt with despite having been discovered in 2013. There are still people getting letters for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

The Takata airbag recall is in a completely different league - it covers over 50 million cars across various brands worldwide, including some models over 20 years old. As it's an age related issue it was much more difficult to identify affected parts, so it took some time before certain models were included in the recalls. A few late '90s Toyotas were only added to the list this year.

The Zafira issue is related to one part, fitted to one particular configuration of one model of car (Zafira B without climate control). As seen by yet another car park fire in Norway this year, Opel/Vauxhall have not done a good enough job at recalling these.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When it reopens I'd say everybody will be heading for the roof!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

A month and a bit to go!

I worked in the centre so I'm excited to be going back in. We're going in the towards the end of October to set up.

I'll do my best to avoid town over Christmas and shop in the centre as much as I can.

Advertisement