Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Delighted to hear the centre is re-opening. We always stopped here on route from Wicklow to my folks in West Cork for a bite in Puccinos, a browse around the shops and some tasty weekend supplies in M&S.

My wife in particular calls it her 'happy place', as it will always remind her of trips to the grandparents when the kids were small (they're still pretty small).

We'll be giving it our custom as soon as it's open again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Anyone know definitively what tenants are gone? And if any new ones are coming in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Anyone know definitively what tenants are gone? And if any new ones are coming in?

The following have appeared in the press recently as confirmed to be returning:

Tesco
    Marks and Spencer
    TK Maxx
    Leonard Hair and Beauty
    Douglas Library

Nothing on the Shopping Centre Facebook page or website. This article from the echo gave a bit more info

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Douglas-Village-Shopping-Centre-on-course-to-reopen-later-this-year-026b5866-44eb-41d9-aa79-669b7a9fac07-ds
    Whilst the return of the centre’s three anchor stores, Tesco, TK Maxx and M&S is assured, Mr Mieszala said the centre has lost several retailers.

“As a result of the pandemic, we have lost a few tenants. There is a handful of them but, as a core, on November 12 we will be reopening with our three anchors, Tesco, M&S and TK Maxx,” he said.

“We are still working with the smaller-sized operators to see if and how we can help them to open on time.

“Covid has had a huge impact on a lot of businesses — in particular retail.

“The plan is to get as many of the stores open as possible for that date,” he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

starbucks anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

starbucks anyone know?

They'll come back like japaneese knot weed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

starbucks anyone know?

I was chatting with one of the baristas and he reckoned they are alright.

The pet shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

The pet shop?

Was that not gone already?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

All the Maxi Zoo signage disappeared over the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Tesco & Carraig Donn have commenced recruitment - Tesco touting a start date of Oct 19th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Was that not gone already?

Nope pretty sure they were open when the fire hit. I wonder if dennehy's are going back in upstairs. Realistically since they have the big 3 returning the centre will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

TheChizler wrote: »
    All the Maxi Zoo signage disappeared over the last few months.

Maxi Zoo not going back there - they are looking for a different site as they are more suited to a retail park environment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

snotboogie wrote: »
    Nope pretty sure they were open when the fire hit. I wonder if dennehy's are going back in upstairs. Realistically since they have the big 3 returning the centre will be fine.

Dennehy’s don’t need the Centre by the looks of it, they are thriving where they are plus sponsoring sports clubs/organisations. What will remain outside the big 3 I’m curious about

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

is johnny giles going back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cantalach

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Maxi Zoo not going back there - they are looking for a different site as they are more suited to a retail park environment.

The stripmallification of Ireland continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It wouldn’t surprise me to be honest about that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't get this.
    Why is it easier to push a trolley full of pet stuff through a retail park car park than it is through a shopping centre? Both have adjoined parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Odelay

Le Bruise wrote: »
    Delighted to hear the centre is re-opening. We always stopped here on route from Wicklow to my folks in West Cork for a bite in Puccinos, a browse around the shops and some tasty weekend supplies in M&S.

My wife in particular calls it her 'happy place', as it will always remind her of trips to the grandparents when the kids were small (they're still pretty small).

We'll be giving it our custom as soon as it's open again!

I'm the same. Can't wait to fill up the Zafira and go on a road trip to the center.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Could they not have put something better there like a park or housing.

It attracts unmanageable levels of traffic through Douglas.

I suppose I don't care because it doesn't affect me anymore, but it just strikes me as completely stupid to put it back there when there are even more cars on the road now and no improvement to infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

s1ippy wrote: »

I suppose I don't care because it doesn't affect me anymore, but it just strikes me as completely stupid to put it back there when there are even more cars on the road now and no improvement to infrastructure.
    Well they were hardly going to tear down the entire thing when there was only damage to 14% of the car park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cantalach

I don't get this.
    Why is it easier to push a trolley full of pet stuff through a retail park car park than it is through a shopping centre? Both have adjoined parking.

Large swathes of the US have moved to the “strip mall” model over the last 20 years. For the retailer, I guess the benefit is lower rent and complete flexibility as regards opening hours. And your parking comment notwithstanding, the customer can typically park much closer to the business they want to visit instead of parking in a general car park and having to walk a few hundred metres. In the US people routinely drive through car parks between different businesses. I must confess that I’ve done it myself over there.

I don't get this.

I live in North Cork. I know people who buy pet stuff in Maxi Zoo. They all prefer going to the one in Clonmel because it’s easier to drive into the retail park and walk a few steps into the shop instead of going into a multi story car park and walking up and down escalators with trolleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I live in North Cork. I know people who buy pet stuff in Maxi Zoo. They all prefer going to the one in Clonmel because it’s easier to drive into the retail park and walk a few steps into the shop instead of going into a multi story car park and walking up and down escalators with trolleys.

:rolleyes: Little wonder gym membership is so popular

Any talk of sprinklers in the upgraded car park?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

s1ippy wrote: »

I’d say the owners of the shopping centre would have been delighted to demolish it and turn it into a park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Odelay wrote: »
    I'm the same. Can't wait to fill up the Zafira and go on a road trip to the center.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

Any talk of sprinklers in the upgraded car park?

i did see work vans coming and going, one of which was for a company who do sprinkler systems! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

People prefer to do various things. It doesn't mean those things are better for them.

The retail park setup is not available to anyone without a car. A modern city does not want cars. Hence retail parks should be available to businesses that require car as well - such as builder providers etc. Pet shop doesn't and you should be able to just walk in.

grogi wrote: »
    People prefer to do various things. It doesn't mean those things are better for them.

The retail park setup is not available to anyone without a car. A modern city does not want cars. Hence retail parks should be available to businesses that require car as well - such as builder providers etc. Pet shop doesn't and you should be able to just walk in.

Did I say one thing was better?

Also most of Ireland’s retail parks can be accessed by walking to them or a bus/public transport.
    If you are shopping in maxi zooo also. A lot of people would be buying larger bulky items. Which would be fairly awkward to somebody without a car.(Unless they were just buying small little bits and pieces)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭RINO87

Stories like this make me despair for humanity, are we that lazy?

Advertisement