Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

JohnK wrote: »
    Could still open with Tesco and M&S

I'd imagine it'll be postponed. A large opening on November 12th just wouldn't work esp. as it's indoors.

January 2021? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

funnydoggy wrote: »
    I'd imagine it'll be postponed. A large opening on November 12th just wouldn't work esp. as it's indoors.

I don't know, with crappy weather the next few months they'd have a real edge with the carpark over Douglas Court & Wilton for shoppers. With all the other shops in there closed they'd have plenty of space for a socially distanced queue into both shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

JohnK wrote: »
    I don't know, with crappy weather the next few months they'd have a real edge with the carpark over Douglas Court & Wilton for shoppers. With all the other shops in there closed they'd have plenty of space for a socially distanced queue into both shops.

Fingers and toes crossed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

funnydoggy wrote: »

Not unless the restrictions are extended. They'll do everything to be open for December

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Any news on the opening being pushed or is it still set for November 12th? With Church St closed for another 4 weeks, the road in front of the centre would be good to have open...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Any news on the opening being pushed or is it still set for November 12th? With Church St closed for another 4 weeks, the road in front of the centre would be good to have open...

Friend of mine works there they started back this week stocking it and are open on the 12th :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Friend of mine works there they started back this week stocking it and are open on the 12th :)

I presume it will just be Tesco & Dunnes food only? Starbucks, Eir and maybe the euro shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

I presume it will just be Tesco & Dunnes food only? Starbucks, Eir and maybe the euro shop.

Havent a notion I know tesco is opening. Theres no dunnes there?

Havent a notion I know tesco is opening. Theres no dunnes there?

M&S I reckon he means.

Augeo wrote: »
    M&S I reckon he means.

Yep sorry, meant M&S. Can't see any other coffee shops opening, Bresnans probably, pet shop has gone so nothing else essential I can think of, but will be great to have even some of it open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

There's a pharmacist there too, or was?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Harika

dulpit wrote: »
    There's a pharmacist there too, or was?

Yes, plans to reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Yep sorry, meant M&S. Can't see any other coffee shops opening, Bresnans probably, pet shop has gone so nothing else essential I can think of, but will be great to have even some of it open

Starbucks are gone? Or not opening during phase 5?

snotboogie wrote: »
    Starbucks are gone? Or not opening during phase 5?

I think they are opening, sorry this was an add on to a previous post, I believe they are the only coffee shop opening, takeaway only

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Padded pieces from de examiner about the reopening:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40072427.html

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/arid-40072340.html

A summary for the lazy:
    Retail giant Tesco and “luxury retail brand” (!!!) Marks & Spencer are currently restocking and will reopen on 12th November

Some of the smaller units not considered “essential retail” will remain closed

"Those permitted to open under Level 5 include the two supermarkets, the butcher shop, bank and pharmacy" (Whether that is a statement of what will happen or the Examiner projecting based on the lockdown rules is unclear and in any event apart from the anchors no timeline is provided)

TK Maxx is due to make a return to the centre, but its stores are currently closed under the lockdown

Cork City Council are aiming to have the library open during the third week of December.

Oh and de Taoiseach of south central availed of a pretty pointless photo op

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

As i sat on the Well Road heading for the Village earlier, i wondered what was delaying the traffic.

The traffic lights on the Village side are back up and running, I expect to hear mention of Douglas on AA road watch from Monday morning on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

kub wrote: »

The traffic lights on the Village side are back up and running, I expect to hear mention of Douglas on AA road watch from Monday morning on.

it was heaven while it lasted :(

It will be a disaster opening that road as a thoroughfare again. Surely a rethink is needed. Will the main entrance to aldi be by mcdonalds. Thats opening in November too isn't it?

It will be a disaster opening that road as a thoroughfare again. Surely a rethink is needed. Will the main entrance to aldi be by mcdonalds. Thats opening in November too isn't it?

Why a disaster? There's no right turn off the Well Road so channel all traffic to the airport and town through Douglas via Church Road again.... Really

Aldi entrance is already in place by McDs

Why a disaster? There's no right turn off the Well Road so channel all traffic to the airport and town through Douglas via Church Road again.... Really

Aldi entrance is already in place by McDs

It jams the road, and doesn't allow a free flow. Before the redevelopment it was a car park if I remember correctly.

Coming from the well road you could go up boreenmanna Road or go to the rochestown Road and go east at Broomfield. Its no different than living in the lough and having to go to caseys Cross to get on the carriageway.

Opening up that section will cause chaos again

• Advertisement

It jams the road, and doesn't allow a free flow. Before the redevelopment it was a car park if I remember correctly.

Coming from the well road you could go up boreenmanna Road or go to the rochestown Road and go east at Broomfield. Its no different than living in the lough and having to go to caseys Cross to get on the carriageway.

Opening up that section will cause chaos again

Totaly confused

Boreenmanna is the other end of the Well Road totally away from Douglas, Rochestown Road is other side of Douglas neither relevant to the lights in Douglas by the village

Totaly confused

Boreenmanna is the other end of the Well Road totally away from Douglas, Rochestown Road is other side of Douglas neither relevant to the lights in Douglas by the village

Right I am trying to remember how those lights worked. I remember always getting stuck there with the yellow boxes, its far more streamlined now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Right I am trying to remember how those lights worked. I remember always getting stuck there with the yellow boxes, its far more streamlined now

The problem is you have two sets of lights very close together meaning you have a very small buffer, if the lights aren't green in sync the number of vehicles that fit into that small buffer is all that gets through each light cycle limiting the throughout. If they are green in sync it means vehicles coming from the red side never get a chance to go as the buffer is already full when they get a green.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

TheChizler wrote: »
    The problem is you have two sets of lights very close together meaning you have a very small buffer, if the lights aren't green in sync the number of vehicles that fit into that small buffer is all that gets through each light cycle limiting the throughout. If they are green in sync it means vehicles coming from the red side never get a chance to go as the buffer is already full when they get a green.

If only there were math theories and software tools build on top to ease the design process... :/

Church street and the "Tesco street" should be one way only (former westbound, latter eastbound), Douglas E southbound only and part of Douglas W northbound. That would massively reduce the number of collision points at the junctions (the only one I see remaining would be "Tesco St"xDouglas E), which would result in reduction of number of switching cycles required at the traffic lights. Less switching - smoother flow. The average distance travelled would slightly increase, but reduced queing time would offset that. Emissions would be smaller as well.

grogi wrote: »
    If only there were math theories and software tools build on top to ease the design process... :/

Church street and the "Tesco street" should be one way only (former westbound, latter eastbound), Douglas E southbound only and part of Douglas W northbound.
    Mostly agree on the one way but I'd swap the directions, so you have the "rotating" one way traffic going left at junctions rather than right to minimize crossings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

kub wrote: »
    As i sat on the Well Road heading for the Village earlier, i wondered what was delaying the traffic.

Those lights were still working whenever pedestrians pressed the button but as you say traffic will be mental again once the road opens,i assume the idea of that road was to take pressure off the road by barrys.

ofcork wrote: »
    Those lights were still working whenever pedestrians pressed the button but as you say traffic will be mental again once the road opens,i assume the idea of that road was to take pressure off the road by barrys.

Apparently they are playing with the sequence at the moment to see if they can get a better balance

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

"Tesco Street" is called Riverwalk

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

TheChizler wrote: »
    Mostly agree on the one way but I'd swap the directions, so you have the "rotating" one way traffic going left at junctions rather than right to minimize crossings.

Stricktly academic discussion here - but when turning from one-way to one-way streets, it is more beneficial to have right turns and clock-wise trafffic. The traffic from radial streets can then leave and join while maintaining free flow.

531458.png

Blue indicate traffic controlled by traffic lights: at the entrance to the multistory parking (as it is on the inside of the circle, there is traffic crossing). Douglas E x Riverwall junction would require them as well, to allow Southbound R610 traffic to join the circle. I'm not sure if it would be more beneficial to allow westbound R610 traffic should be allowed directly to Douglas Rd or require it to circle around, but if there already is traffic lights controlling that, it should be doable. Apart from that there is absolutely free flowing traffic with a bit of weaving - marked in Red.

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    Stricktly academic discussion here - but when turning from one-way to one-way streets, it is more beneficial to have right turns and clock-wise trafffic. The traffic from radial streets can then leave and join while maintaining free flow.

I hadn't thought about one-waying Douglas East and West roads, just Church Street and the link road by the car park, I guess your way makes more sense if you do that. I can't imagine people in Donnybrook being too happy with that plan though!

Advertisement