Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

"Tesco Street" is called Riverwalk
    Did they own the bloomin road, to say that it's been closed this entire time? It's been a massive pain if you need to nip around as a pedestrian or cyclist especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

s1ippy wrote: »
    Did they own the bloomin road, to say that it's been closed this entire time? It's been a massive pain if you need to nip around as a pedestrian or cyclist especially.

I believe so - it used to be the shopping centre car park - it was never a public road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

s1ippy wrote: »

They owned the land the road was built on, as said it was their former car park, i believe it was a part of planning conditions that they would hand this road over to Cork coco at the time and cork cico now, but until the fire this hadn't happened yet and until the fire it was never an issue, if anything the council probably preferred it as it was as when issues with the footpaths/road occurred it was the centre hired staff to repair them...

grogi wrote: »
    Stricktly academic discussion here - but when turning from one-way to one-way streets, it is more beneficial to have right turns and clock-wise trafffic. The traffic from radial streets can then leave and join while maintaining free flow.

531458.png

Blue indicate traffic controlled by traffic lights: at the entrance to the multistory parking (as it is on the inside of the circle, there is traffic crossing). Douglas E x Riverwall junction would require them as well, to allow Southbound R610 traffic to join the circle. I'm not sure if it would be more beneficial to allow westbound R610 traffic should be allowed directly to Douglas Rd or require it to circle around, but if there already is traffic lights controlling that, it should be doable. Apart from that there is absolutely free flowing traffic with a bit of weaving - marked in Red.

This i would be in total agreement with, it makes no sense to keep it 2 two on those roads when they are so close.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Stricktly academic discussion here - but when turning from one-way to one-way streets, it is more beneficial to have right turns and clock-wise trafffic. The traffic from radial streets can then leave and join while maintaining free flow.

531458.png

Blue indicate traffic controlled by traffic lights: at the entrance to the multistory parking (as it is on the inside of the circle, there is traffic crossing). Douglas E x Riverwall junction would require them as well, to allow Southbound R610 traffic to join the circle. I'm not sure if it would be more beneficial to allow westbound R610 traffic should be allowed directly to Douglas Rd or require it to circle around, but if there already is traffic lights controlling that, it should be doable. Apart from that there is absolutely free flowing traffic with a bit of weaving - marked in Red.

Excuse of I'm reading this wrong, but would this layout mean that any traffic going to the shopping centre or airport direction that's coming from the Well Road or town would have to go right through Douglas and around the shopping centre? Trying to turn right into Douglas by the Circle K would be a nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Excuse of I'm reading this wrong, but would this layout mean that any traffic going to the shopping centre or airport direction that's coming from the Well Road or town would have to go right through Douglas and around the shopping centre?

Yes. If going from the Well Road to the airport the distance would be stunning 150m more, but much less traffic lights on your way.
    Trying to turn right into Douglas by the Circle K would be a nightmare

That's why traffic lights are needed there. But the stop line would need to be before the Douglas East.

Yes. If going from the Well Road to the airport the distance would be stunning 150m more, but much less traffic lights on your way.

That's why traffic lights are needed there. But the stop line would need to be before the Douglas East.

It's not the distance at all and certainly not just the airport. I thought the idea was to reduce traffic through the village but this pretty much keeps things as they are with everything from Well Road side having to go through church Lane even to get to the supermarket.

It's not the distance at all and certainly not just the airport. I thought the idea was to reduce traffic through the village but this pretty much keeps things as they are with everything from Well Road side having to go through church Lane even to get to the supermarket.

Do you want to reduce traffic or conjestion? Traffic will not reduce unless an alternative is introduced - free and frequent public transport would be one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

If i recall correctly while speaking with someone i know some years ago, who worked for the developers of Douglas Shopping Center Shipton Group, that there was a plan to stop vehicles turning right on the Douglas Road side, to access the Riverwalk ( or whatever its called ) Road.

That would be no harm at all as this really demonstrates brain dead driving by those that back up there and then block the Well Rd/ Douglas Rd intersection.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If you made the Shopping Centre Road one way you could narrow it and use the spare land to add a much needed third westbound lane to the N40.

Unlikely to happen but I feel that land is much more useful on the N40 than used to facilitate right turn movements around Douglas that jam up junctions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cantalach

kub wrote: »
    If i recall correctly while speaking with someone i know some years ago, who worked for the developers of Douglas Shopping Center Shipton Group, that there was a plan to stop vehicles turning right on the Douglas Road side, to access the Riverwalk ( or whatever its called ) Road.

That would be no harm at all as this really demonstrates brain dead driving by those that back up there and then block the Well Rd/ Douglas Rd intersection.

Anyone on the city side of the N40 wanting to drive to the shopping centre would then have to either approach from the South Douglas Rd, go through the village, or make a ewe turn at the garage. None of those are attractive options for the driver, others in the community, or the sheep.

Thats kinda my point, but also that there will be even more traffic than ever pushed thought the village if its one way. Before the centre fire happened last year, Riverwalk was open to traffic from all directions and it was still busy in Douglas.

After the fire (and with no traffic heading to the centre) Church Road was extremely busy as traffic couldn't use Riverview to get to the link road (airport direction). Dont forget there's no right turn off the Well Road so everything has to go left.

I would assume that most traffic for the Centre would come from Rochestown, Well road or town directions so in effect you would push all of this traffic that would traditionally have used Riverwalk, through Douglas village and down Church Road. Its small enough as it is, but I think this would just jam the whole place up.

You would also be putting artics and vans that supply the centre around the same route, many of which come off of the south link in Douglas

I see today's examiner has confirmed that as well as Maxi Zoo, Golden Spiderweb and Partners in Fashion won't be returning.

Book Station, Trespass, Cici & Boo, Homefront and travel agents J Barter will all return.

Opening day will feature Tesco food, M&S food, Bresnans, Pharmacy First and Puccino (takeaway only).

No mention of Eir, Starbucks or O'Briens in the article.

Library will return mid December and there will be no Santa this year

...........there will be no Santa this year

That'll be nationwide I imagine, in reputable places anyway. Might be a pop up santa for the full time mad bastads in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Augeo wrote: »
    That'll be nationwide I imagine, in reputable places anyway. Might be a pop up santa for the full time mad bastads in places.

I know before the latest restrictions some reputable places were planning on trying to do something a bit different this year but I doubt they will now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I see today's examiner has confirmed that as well as Maxi Zoo, Golden Spiderweb and Partners in Fashion won't be returning.

Book Station, Trespass, Cici & Boo, Homefront and travel agents J Barter will all return.

Opening day will feature Tesco food, M&S food, Bresnans, Pharmacy First and Puccino (takeaway only).

No mention of Eir, Starbucks or O'Briens in the article.

Library will return mid December and there will be no Santa this year

TK Maxx going back too.

So nice seeing Christmas decorations up in the shopping center! Walked past earlier and it's lovely. The back entrance (by Leonard) big grey partition is gone, you can see right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Jenna James

Fire Brigade in today doing last checks I guess. Will be great to have it back. It flew in the end probably due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

douglas is definitely going to look cleaner once this and aldi are done. there has been so much scaffolding and everything everywhere. too bad they didnt give the building a quick clean looks quite mank at the front

douglas is definitely going to look cleaner once this and aldi are done. there has been so much scaffolding and everything everywhere. too bad they didnt give the building a quick clean looks quite mank at the front

I'd imagine (hope) they'll give it a power hose :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

i highly doubt it but i hope you're right. it's starting to turn green and brain from staining. I did see them power hosing the footpaths though

• Registered Users Posts: 86,690 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Euro Giant reopening?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Euro Giant reopening?

No mention of it yet!

No mention of it yet!

yes, centre manager confirmed it yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,053 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

When is the centre re-opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

dulpit wrote: »
    When is the centre re-opening?
    Today apparently.

Today apparently.

Cool. I checked the Tesco website, Douglas is showing as closed for the next week still... Fingers crossed it's all go.

Cool. I checked the Tesco website, Douglas is showing as closed for the next week still... Fingers crossed it's all go.

Although I did just get an ad pop up from Tesco to say "Douglas we're back, and we can't wait to see you all again." So that's a good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I heard the centre manager on the radio yesterday and he definitely said they were opening today. Maybe Tesco are doing things differently but any place than can open are as of today. Great to see some good news for business for a change.

• Advertisement

Have you ever been to Ireland? Websites are updated once a year at best... :/

Advertisement