Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Tesco is open...just did my shopping there :)

The place has has a good clean up, splash of paint, very christmassy, although kinda wierd driving into the car park

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Tesco is open...just did my shopping there :)

The place has has a good clean up, splash of paint, very christmassy, although kinda wierd driving into the car park

Have they improved the traffic flow in the Carpark or does the entering traffic have to cross the exiting traffic still?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

Have they improved the traffic flow in the Carpark or does the entering traffic have to cross the exiting traffic still?

its the exact same :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

There is nothing they can do without demolishing the ramps in the West side of the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Dbu

Traffic was back to its chaotic best this morning once that road opened again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Had a walk around; starbucks not open but prep going on inside, Born and TK Maxx both look fully closed up, M&S Open, nothing happening at Puccinos, O'Briens open, Newsagent closed, bresnans open, other butcher closed, tesco open, cafe across from tesco open, gloria jeans still closed, huge empty space where maxi zoo was.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,689 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Quigleys open for takeaway?

Any giveaways or freebies in Tesco today?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Heading up there in a little while - looking forward to a night out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,593 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Cork Lass wrote: »
    Heading up there in a little while - looking forward to a night out :D

They’ve new Christmas lights!

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

they had a few influencers in to try out their Scan and shop, but thats about it for freebies and giveaways....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭cantalach

Gru wrote: »
    they had a few influencers in to try out their Scan and shop, but thats about it for freebies and giveaways....

“Treasure Island” is apparently how some UK Tesco execs refer to Ireland. So I wouldn’t be expecting much free anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Quigleys open for takeaway?

Got a few €10 off €40 vouchers in the post specifically for Douglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Spotted the carpark filling up this morning from the south ring! One enterprising person had gone straight to the top floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,689 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Who Trisha?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

cantalach wrote: »
    “Treasure Island” is apparently how some UK Tesco execs refer to Ireland. So I wouldn’t be expecting much free anything.
    What is that supposed to mean?

traffic already bad on douglas road, east douglas street and douglas relief road. How is Church street, any better?

https://twitter.com/Buseireann/status/1326921977219702786

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

Dropped in on the way home tonight, first floor of the car park was almost full, quite busy inside for the small few shops open. The flooring inside is much better, won’t be as slippy with wet shoes. Looks like some form of socially distanced Santa visit might be going in next to O’Briens where the childrens play area was.

Eurogiant was also open tonight along with Marks and Tesco. Looks like Starbucks, Born, TK Maxx, Puccinos, Jump smoothies, a vape shop, impress dry cleaners, Bresnans, the other butchers byTesco side, the lingerie shop, itso me, Trespass, pharmacy first plus, Nevilles jewellers, Eir, Cici and Boo, Homefront, Carraig Donn, Bookstation, O’Briens, Quigleys are all going to re-open (I know some are open already like Bresnans and the pharmacy)

Also surprised to see it looks like Gloria Jeans are re-opening too even though they closed down before the fire. Might have missed another shop or two but that’s what I can remember. Also noticed sprinklers all over the car park and more fire extinguishers than could be counted ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,593 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Spotted the carpark filling up this morning from the south ring! One enterprising person had gone straight to the top floor.

Was it a Zafira?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Also surprised to see it looks like Gloria Jeans are re-opening too even though they closed down before the fire.

Oh that's great. Gloria Jeans are the only place that knows how to make a great hot chocolate.

Oh that's great. Gloria Jeans are the only place that knows how to make a great hot chocolate.

I could be wrong but it wasn’t closed off with the name taken down like the other shops that aren’t re-opening were and I think there were tables and chairs there but there was a lot to take in, most excitement I’ve gotten from leaving the house in a while :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I could be wrong but it wasn’t closed off with the name taken down like the other shops that aren’t re-opening were and I think there were tables and chairs there but there was a lot to take in, most excitement I’ve gotten from leaving the house in a while :pac:

It looks exactly like it did before the fire. Still no equipment in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

traffic mental after school yesterday and this morning, we're back to Douglas being a car park again.

What is that supposed to mean?..........

Probably a reference to the margin on branded products here compared to the UK. Many folk within an hour or so of the border make frequent shopping trips to NI as washing powder etc etc etc is cheaper by a fair bit up there.

Not so bad with the own brand stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

An island where you find treasure (a.k.a. high profits).

snotboogie wrote: »
    It looks exactly like it did before the fire. Still no equipment in there.

I was trying to remember whether I’d seen any furniture in there or not, I’m surprised they didn’t close it off like the other shops though. Still nice to see more shops than I thought there would be returning.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

traffic already bad on douglas road, east douglas street and douglas relief road. How is Church street, any better?

https://twitter.com/Buseireann/status/1326921977219702786
    In fairness, Bus Eireann should just retweet that every day around 5pm reagrdless.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

^ i was speaking from my own experience, not the tweet, sorry. crazy today too. traffic up maryborough hill past the police station, by the carrigaline road/church road junction and the relief road bumper to bumper heading north. around 3pm. Obviously cars are to blame for traffic and if you're in it you're the traffic, but still, it wasn't this bad over the last 15 months ever, even on school mornings. church street even improved a lot too when they removed the parking there so normal flow could continue

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I went in there yesterday around 6 pm and traffic seemed below normal (pre-2020) levels, Tesco and M&S didn't seem too busy. I guess the novelty has worn off already, but it's good to have the place back open, and definitely good to see sprinklers in the car park this time :)

Does anyone know if the Tesco will be doing Click & Collect? Did they do it there before? I didn't see it as an available option on the website yesterday. Would be a nicer option than Mahon when there's horizontal rain...

Does anyone know if the Tesco will be doing Click & Collect? Did they do it there before? I didn't see it as an available option on the website yesterday. Would be a nicer option than Mahon when there's horizontal rain...

Tesco Douglas never did click and collect but that is not to say they would,

Whats bothering me now though is the section's being blocked off as "non essential", you cannot access whiteboard markers or stationary/school supplies or even toys in Douglas as they are upstairs, yet Smyths amongst others can sell theirs, Dunnes have moved drapery xmas items into the grocery aisles, Especially when you know something that needs to be sold soon is out of stock in Smyths (Lego advent calendar) and in stock in Tesco! :confused:

Tesco need to set up a click and collect desk at the top of the escalators, with people q'ing socially distanced on them maybe or at the end of the escalators for things up stairs that maybe staff could run and get for you even if it's limited to 2 or 5 items per person, and even if it was a dedicated "Tesco Mobile" phone they used for it where you stood there to "phone and collect"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I always use the top floor...easy parking and less chance of a ding :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Whats bothering me now though is the section's being blocked off as "non essential", you cannot access whiteboard markers or stationary/school supplies or even toys in Douglas as they are upstairs, yet Smyths amongst others can sell theirs,

The entirety of Smyths is blocked off though isn't it? You have to go online, same as Tesco Click and Collect elsewhere if you want to get those items (assuming they supply them through click and collect)

Advertisement