Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The government should ban the use of Zafira's, have Opel buy them all back.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,690 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Gru wrote: »
    The Irish times are reporting that it was an Opel Zafira that started it, could be problematic considering it's a well known issue with those cars:

Irish times

Opel Zafira :eek:
    Opel in Ireland says it has been difficult to establish what exactly had caused the fires but denies it is a manufacturing defect. It says much evidence has been destroyed in fires but indications are that "improper repairs" may have been carried out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

The government should ban the use of Zafira's, have Opel buy them all back.

Yes, but PSA own them now, so not their problem.

It's times like these that complex gadgets and wiring causes more hassle than it's worth.

The Government should make their people buy simple cars like the Sandero Access, with no radio, no electric windows, no electric mirroes, no cental locking etc...simplicity at it's finest. All them electric gadgets break and cause fires and death!
    You'll be seing loads of them on the road with the upcoming recession and people appreciating the simple things in life!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907019594325?advertising-location=at_cars

e20f4344d03d4827a46553cd9a9c5b17.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Hogzy wrote: »

That's never good. You can make out the zafira in the fire brigade video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Dia_Anseo wrote: »

It's times like these that complex gadgets and wiring causes more hassle than it's worth.

The Government should make their people buy simple cars like the Sandero Access, with no radio, no electric windows, no electric mirroes, no cental locking etc...simplicity at it's finest. All them electric gadgets break and cause fires and death!
    You'll be seing loads of them on the road with the upcoming recession and people appreciating the simple things in life!

I would never in my life buy a plastic box like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Only in Ireland.
    This inane bollox of a phrase should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That wasn't funny the first time you posted that and it's still not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

TheDriver wrote: »

I'm shocked at things like alloy wheels basically disappeared due to the fire.

Not surprising, that stuff would melt like butter under that kind of heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201907019594325?advertising-location=at_cars

e20f4344d03d4827a46553cd9a9c5b17.jpg

I could live without electric windows (worst idea ever imo), the central locking and the mirrors.
    No radio....seriously?? What about the heater fans? No heaters in Ireland, you'd freeze your arse off. There's still a load of electrics under the bonnet, what do you think helps you start the engine, a hand crank at the front like a Ford Model T?
    Also, electrics isn't the only thing in a car that will make it go on fire.

Good luck with "making" people buy cars, they can't make them buy electric cars, not while the technology is kind of crap for many people's driving needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

The funny thing is that the one bit of electrics in the sandero is a heater and that is what is going on fire in the zafira.

Anyone with a Zafira B should contact their local Opel dealer to make sure their car has had the recall done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

That is structural damage. The safety investigation is going to take a few weeks at least. The insurance claims will be complicated... and a rebuild? Would it be easier to part demolish? I’m not a civil engineer, but the steel will be a pain to get out and replace surely, plus all the concrete around it. I couldn’t see it taking less than 18 months or two years to get it reopened. Even funding organised and a project like that organised. It’s harder than a greenfield site.

All those businesses and jobs. All the cars too. Imagine you had an older car... not worth much. You will get feck all from the insurance for it, and will be difficult to replace.

One of the tesco drivers was telling me they are on extra shifts today moving stock from tesco down to Mahon. Some of the businesses I see are trying to start up delivery services. We should support them. A lot of them borrowed to refurb after the floods a few years ago and are still paying it off.

Even the city coffers... this complex had just transferred to city had it? Income from the rates there now gone.

Hardship for a lot of people, that’s for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Absolutely horrible thing to have happened, it’s a miracle that no one was hurt. Thank god no one had left kids in the car while they popped to Tesco! It doesn’t bear thinking about how bad it could have been.

I’m in that centre most days as I use the bank for business lodgements, there are a good few independent shops in there, feel sorry for all the staff and shops affected, but especially the owners of the indies. Hope some alternative parking can be arranged while the multi story is repaired.

Even things like the Sunday farmers market are bound to be seriously affected due to the lack of parking. There will be a lot of people and businesses taking a hit due to this. Especially in the busy period coming up to Christmas. Hopefully the council can come up with some alternative parking to help ease the pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,903 ✭✭✭gifted

Especially since the owner would have been informed of the recall and it was in the media multiple times, perhaps they would be personally sued in to the ground.

Are you sure they were informed?

Missus has a Nissan almera...bought it new in 06......failed it's NCT a few years ago because of lights....turns out there was a fault with that models lights and Nissan did a big recall.....Missus never got informed....same address so no excuse there. Phoned the Nissan main dealer where she bought the car.....manager was all hazy and said he kinda remembers something about a recall....told her to bring up the car and all the service history records and they'll "take a look at it"...
    No service history with nissan
    so no fix
    Got it fixed myself.

So not all owners are informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I was told by a mechanic previously that he'd worked on a couple of smoking Zafiras, the issue was a fan in the heater had come loose and was rubbing against its surroundings. When all the plastic in the blades had chipped away the centre of the fan when running would get hot through friction and start smoking. Nothing to do with the electronics according to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I've a Zafira B Model for sale..............anyone ;)
    Seriously though, my model has been recalled 3 times, at this stage my wife and kids avoid it like the plague, and rightly so. Do consumers have any right here ? ie. to get their money back ? Note: the car has a load of electrical gremlins as well.

[IMG]https://cdn-01.independent.ie/incoming/article34731350.ece/32156/AUTOCROP/w620/PL26535701 A fire broke _2.jpg[/IMG]

OpelZafiraFire301015_large.jpg

Both of these Zafira were in Ireland, both blue......go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Yeah, it's definitely because they were blue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Two lanes open last night as I passed the shopping centre going west.
    I had to break on an almost empty dual carriageway as we passed, at 12.30am., as some rubberneckers had to gawk.
    I can only imagine the traffic there this morning, everyone having a good auld look. Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Put a cop out there handing out tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

Put a cop out there handing out tickets.

To the match?

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Karmella

airy fairy wrote: »
    Two lanes open last night as I passed the shopping centre going west.
    I had to break on an almost empty dual carriageway as we passed, at 12.30am., as some rubberneckers had to gawk.
    I can only imagine the traffic there this morning, everyone having a good auld look. Ffs.

Westbound was backed up as far as the tunnel as I was going east to work this morning - radio said it was merging traffic at Bloomfield but that’s bollox - definitely rubberneckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Those Zafira’s are death traps. It’s been known for years. Opel should have ensured every single one of them was taken out of use. I hope they get sued to oblivion over this.

Rumour has it on Red fm that a car that was already on fire or smoking when it drove in to car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Rumour has it on Red fm that a car that was already on fire or smoking when it drove in to car park.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cranes-to-remove-vehicles-after-cork-car-park-fire-947708.html
    :eek:
    "While Garda investigations into the cause of the blaze are ongoing, footage shot by shoppers inside the car park shows a blazing seven-seater people carrier parked on level one at around 7pm.

It was seen entering the car park moments earlier, with smoke pouring from it.

Its owner became aware of the issue and was among several people to raise the alarm with the shopping centre’s customer service desk. Gardaí have spoken to its owner but they are still working to identify its exact make and model."

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Could the people who stood around taking photos and videos not have grabbed a fire extinguisher or fire hose to keep things at bay while waiting for the fire brigade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Balanadan wrote: »
    Could the people who stood around taking photos and videos not have grabbed a fire extinguisher or fire hose to keep things at bay while waiting for the fire brigade?

Is there anything in any car park for firefighting nowadays?

I did see a car on fire years ago, went up in seconds and by the time it took a guy in a car across the road to get out his own fire extinguisher the car was too far gone for it to be any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Balanadan wrote: »

I haven’t had any firefighting training and I could be very wrong here, but you can’t use water on a petrol fire, right? Without having the required training and skill to fight a fire like that I’d be more concerned with getting people out of there rather than trying to stop the fire. It’s pretty unfair to judge the public for not attempting to fight the fire.

Woman on Redfm now had her car parked near the Zafira saying security had no fire extinguishers and just started throwing bags of sand from maxi zoo and oddly sausages and marshmallows from Tescos. Bit strange!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Karmella wrote: »
    Westbound was backed up as far as the tunnel as I was going east to work this morning - radio said it was merging traffic at Bloomfield but that’s bollox - definitely rubberneckers.
    Still backed up to the tunnel now (@ 09.40) according to Google Maps which it wouldn't normally be. I await some rear endings - if not now, then this evening.

Yeah, heard that yesterday. Car started smoking as she drove on the road alongside so she pulled into the carpark to get off the road. Not the best decision in retrospect, but I wouldn't criticise her for it - hindsight being 20/20 and all that.

Advertisement