Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

anacc wrote: »
    I haven’t had any firefighting training and I could be very wrong here, but you can’t use water on a petrol fire, right? Without having the required training and skill to fight a fire like that I’d be more concerned with getting people out of there rather than trying to stop the fire. It’s pretty unfair to judge the public for not attempting to fight the fire.

I don't see anything wrong with commenting on eejits standing around taking pictures/videos inside the car park while watching things burn. It's amazing that nobody managed to find a suitable fire extinguisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Balanadan wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with commenting on eejits standing around taking pictures/videos inside the car park while watching things burn. It's amazing that nobody managed to find a suitable fire extinguisher.
    You saw the video right? Nothing a puny extinguisher could do. You'd be putting yourself and your rescuers in danger getting close enough to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Sure they’re eejits for standing there videoing a fire which has the potential to explode violently, but they are not eejits for not trying to fight the fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

2e6a6dc7-afe0-4cd8-8101-13d1546c7251.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Odelay

You’ve clearly never put out a fire a any real substance. “A” fire extinguisher would have had no effect on that. You’d need 5-10.

• Advertisement

There seems to be a lot of Zafiras in Cork reduced since the fire......

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/opel-zafira-1-6-petrol/22657664

TheChizler wrote: »
    You saw the video right? Nothing a puny extinguisher could do. You'd be putting yourself and your rescuers in danger getting close enough to use it.

Fair enough lads, I'll go along with the crowd, the people standing around doing nothing but taking photos and videos were spot on, nobody should've done anything to prevent the fire from spreading, and there's no point in having fire extinguishers in any commercial building.

Fair enough lads, I'll go along with the crowd, the people standing around doing nothing but taking photos and videos were spot on, nobody should've done anything to prevent the fire from spreading, and there's no point in having fire extinguishers in any commercial building.

Good lad, the brain washing paid off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Yes there is. But there are a number of different fire extinguishers. Mainly used for quite small fires (such as a rubbish bin on fire, not a car on fire). From the training I've done, you either set off the fire alarm, or ensure that you raise the issue with someone that can, and get out of there.
    Those watching it and recording it, not the best idea. Attempting to put it out with a fire extinguisher, would have been a worse idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

TheDriver wrote: »
    That's never good. You can make out the zafira in the fire brigade video

I could make out two. That video appears to be shot around the source of the fire.
    I'm shocked at things like alloy wheels basically disappeared due to the fire.

Lightweight wheels use a magnesium alloy - not sure about the alloy, but magnesium on its own is highly flammable and ignites much easier than steel.
    gifted wrote: »
    Are you sure they were informed?

Missus has a Nissan almera...bought it new in 06......failed it's NCT a few years ago because of lights....turns out there was a fault with that models lights and Nissan did a big recall.....Missus never got informed....same address so no excuse there. Phoned the Nissan main dealer where she bought the car.....manager was all hazy and said he kinda remembers something about a recall....told her to bring up the car and all the service history records and they'll "take a look at it"...
    No service history with nissan
    so no fix
    Got it fixed myself.

So not all owners are informed.

For critical safety recalls (e.g. dodgy airbags, fires), manufacturers are given access to vehicle registration databases to find all owners in the country (including imports, etc.) - it doesn't matter if your car has never seen a main dealer in this case, they will find you. It's possible that some could fall through the cracks, or are ignored by owners though.

I suspect the recall in your situation was not considered safety critical.

But as many Zafira B's have already been through as many as three different recalls in the past few years (including another earlier this year), it's possible the problem has still not been resolved. I wouldn't be surprised that the car (if confirmed to be a Zafira) has been through all the recalls yet still caught fire.

• Advertisement

Manager of Douglas shopping centre on Red FM now saying woman in a hoodie drove the Zafira that was on fire to 1st floor and started throwing petrol on other cars then ran off shouting Alla

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Dia_Anseo wrote: »
    Manager of Douglas shopping centre on Red FM now saying woman in a hoodie drove the Zafira that was on fire to 1st floor and started throwing petrol on other cars then ran off shouting Alla

Can that be verified?

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Can that be verified?

Listen back to podcast I'm fairly sure I quoted correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,161 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If that is a joke by either yourself, the manager or by Red FM then it's a very poor one.

That'll get the locals talking!

flazio wrote: »
    If that is a joke by either yourself, the manager or by Red FM then it's a very poor one.

It's certainly bizarre but unfortunately not all too uncommon worldwide

Balandan, what Irish SAFETY certifications have you got? e.g. Fas / Solas Safe Pass

Balandan, what Irish SAFETY certifications have you got? e.g. Fas / Solas Safe Pass

What RELEVANCE does that HAVE to THIS situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Can that be verified?

I bet it can't.

What are the odds this was just made up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Listen back to podcast I'm fairly sure I quoted correctly

I'd be fairly sure you didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

What RELEVANCE does that HAVE to THIS situation?
    So that’s a no, cause you’d have learned something very relevant to this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Link to back up your claim please, if that's a lame attempt at a joke its in very very poor taste.

So that’s a no, cause you’d have learned something very relevant to this situation.

Yeah, fire = bad. Good man.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Link to back up your claim please, if that's a lame attempt at a joke its in very very poor taste.
    It's clearly a piss-take, a decent parody of the sort of speculation I was hearing actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Ah shur nobody said anything about them being spot on for taking photos and recording videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

As the gardai have established the cause of the fire to a certain car, can the car owners around them demand insurance details of that car from the gardai to make a claim on that persons insurance? I assume you don't ring up your own insurance company.
    I find the lack of any TD or Govt response and no guidance re insurance claims quite remarkable as theres a lot of people just left in limbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Rumour has it on Red fm that a car that was already on fire or smoking when it drove in to car park.

If true you would have to be a pretty special to drive it into a multi storey with other cars. Not surprised at the general level of intelligence of the population if the rubbernecking dopes are anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

As the gardai have established the cause of the fire to a certain car, can the car owners around them demand insurance details of that car from the gardai to make a claim on that persons insurance? I assume you don't ring up your own insurance company.
    I find the lack of any TD or Govt response and no guidance re insurance claims quite remarkable as theres a lot of people just left in limbo.

I was involved in an accident in the past which was not my fault and I contacted my own insurance company and gave them the particulars of the person at fault and they handled everything up to the point at which fault had been accepted and the Insurance company that covered the person at fault then reached out to me to cover my expenses and sort a repair out.

Everything went super smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I doubt you'd need to do anything but contact your insurer in such a well-known incident as this.

• Advertisement

We should start a GoFundme page for those affected by the fire.

Advertisement