Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire in Douglas - See Mod note in post #506

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Dia_Anseo wrote: »
    We should start a GoFundme page for those affected by the fire.

I've spent the morning reading this thread (and associated links) instead of working - can I put in a claim for lost earnings? Thanks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭mikeecho

pwurple wrote: »
    ...... The insurance claims will be complicated... .

No it wont.
    The owner of each damaged car will make a claim against their own insurance.

As long as you have 3rd Party Fire & Theft or Comprehensive, you'll be covered.

If you opted for 3rd party only.. you're goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Manager of Douglas shopping centre on Red FM now saying woman in a hoodie drove the Zafira that was on fire to 1st floor and started throwing petrol on other cars then ran off shouting Alla

You sure she wasn't calling her husband, Alan?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

mikeecho wrote: »
    No it wont.

I'd thing its not as simple as that. I'd be annoyed if my NCD is affected. Plus it is a 3rd party incident i.e. a 3rd party fire caused it as opposed to your own fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

No it wont.

Why would you claim on your own insurance and have the premium at renewal increased for something that isn’t your fault?

That would be dumb.

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    I'd thing its not as simple as that. I'd be annoyed if my NCD is affected. Plus it is a 3rd party incident i.e. a 3rd party fire caused it as opposed to your own fire.

Unfortunately it is as simple as that.

Phone your own insurance company and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Why would you claim on your own insurance and have the premium at renewal increased for something that isn’t your fault?

That would be dumb.

Assuming your car is worth more than your annual insurance premium, what other choice do you have? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Assuming your car is worth more than your annual insurance premium, what other choice do you have? :confused:

You don’t need to assume someone’s car is worth more than their premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Balanadan wrote: »
    Yeah, fire = bad. Good man.
    At least you seem to have learned something today.
    Now maybe educate yourself on the different type of fire extinguishers and when to use them. Because if you think that someone should have tried to deal with the fire with one, and you find yourself in a similar situation sometime, you'll regret your ignorance.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

At least you seem to have learned something today.
    Now maybe educate yourself on the different type of fire extinguishers and when to use them. Because if you think that someone should have tried to deal with the fire with one, and you find yourself in a similar situation sometime, you'll regret your ignorance.

You shouldn't try to fight a fire using the correct extinguisher? Every day's a school day.

this-is-fine.0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Balanadan wrote: »
    You shouldn't try to fight a fire using the correct extinguisher? Every day's a school day.
    Lets put the delivery method in a way you seem to prefer...

aid41939-v4-728px-Use-a-Fire-Extinguisher-Step-12.jpg.webp

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

I was only in Douglas 3 weeks ago on a saturday at this time. It could have been me. I feel very close to this tragedy.

On the plus side my video of the fire got almost 1000 retweets and about 100k views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

No it wont.

Zoom out here a small bit. Do you think the cars are the only thing here relevant for insurance?

The buildings insurance for the complex
    Each business, and the closures, loss of income.
    The damaged stock, all the power is off there, freezers and fridges gone, smoke damage possibly.
    The lost of income for all the employees

And even on the insurance for a car, your own insurance will chase that claim with other insurers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

bot43 wrote: »
    I was only in Douglas 3 weeks ago on a saturday at this time. It could have been me. I feel very close to this tragedy.

On the plus side my video of the fire got almost 1000 retweets and about 100k views.

You have my thoughts and prayers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭sondagefaux

You don’t need to assume someone’s car is worth more than their premium.

I paid £950 for my car. This year's insurance premium is £1200.

TheDriver wrote: »
    As the gardai have established the cause of the fire to a certain car, can the car owners around them demand insurance details of that car from the gardai to make a claim on that persons insurance? I assume you don't ring up your own insurance company.
    I find the lack of any TD or Govt response and no guidance re insurance claims quite remarkable as theres a lot of people just left in limbo.

I don't really see why the government needs to hold people's hands in this instance.

It's pretty straightforward: if your car was in the fire, contact your insurance company and begin the claims process.

Why would you assume that you wouldn't contact your own insurance company? :confused:

If your car was parked on the road outside your house or in your own driveway, who would you phone if it had been destroyed by fire? Ghostbusters? :)

No it wont.

That would be dumb.

Imagine if your car was vandalised, that's not your fault.
    Yet you would still have to claim off your own insurance, and risk losing your NCB.

Now, if the person responsible was identified, you could take a civil action, but your NCB will still be affected.

Imagine if your car was vandalised, that's not your fault.
    Yet you would still have to claim off your own insurance, and risk losing your NCB.

Now, if the person responsible was identified, you could take a civil action, but your NCB will still be affected.

Unless you've been able to get your NCB protected.

It's a pain in the butt to lose your NCB but it's normal even if a claim is not your fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

With most insurers you won't lose your NCB as a result of a fire claim.

I would advise people to contact their insurance company's if they have a car that is stuck in the multi storey or is destroyed as a result of the fire, as the insurance companies will give you a courtesy car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

bot43 wrote: »

Katherine Thomas ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Came here to read about the fire.

What I find is the remains of the thunderdome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

96fm at 5 said they're going to start removing cars tonight and tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,215 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I'd be very worried about every car coming out of that car park.

Even if it's not fire damaged, chances are the heat would be enough to ruin the car. Petrol and other fluids boiling in their tanks, plastics and rubbers softened and warped, paint might start to bubble off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

Word on the street in Douglas is that the shopping centre was struggling financially so what better way to set it ablaze and get the insurance money before the company goes bust.

That shopping centre will be shut for years and be an eyesore

Word on the street in Douglas is that the shopping centre was struggling financially so what better way to set it ablaze and get the insurance money before the company goes bust.

Take it to the conspiracy theory forum. If you were going to burn down a shopping centre, a Zafira in the car park would not be the way to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

Near full occupancy... 3 anchor tenants... Pull the tinfoil hat down further

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭Dia_Anseo

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Take it to the conspiracy theory forum. If you were going to burn down a shopping centre, a Zafira in the car park would not be the way to do it.

Why not? Hasn't it have the desired effect?

Plus wasn't it strange security guards just ran about and watched the fire and didn't use fire extinguishers.
    Plus no sprinklers in the car park.
    The Zafira was best car to use as everyone know they go up on fire

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You're trying too hard Dia...

• Advertisement

Why not? Hasn't it have the desired effect?

Plus wasn't it strange security guards just ran about and watched the fire and didn't use fire extinguishers.
    Plus no sprinklers in the car park.
    The Zafira was best car to use as everyone know they go up on fire

Ah, so the security guards are in on the conspiracy too! As well as the woman who drove the car in. Maybe the fire brigade were in on it too! The plot thickens :rolleyes:

Advertisement