Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could this be a good laptop with a couple of upgrades?

Options
  • 31-08-2019 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

I’m thinking of picking up this laptop and making a couple of small changes to make it more usable. I’m thinking of adding an 8GB stick of ram and installing a good sized SSD instead of the CD-RW, leaving the HDD installed for spare space and back up.

My general uses for it would be word processing, web browsing and some lighting to medium gaming.

ASUS A556UQ 15.6 Inch Laptop (Intel Core i3, NVIDIA GeForce 940MX, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Disk Drive, Windows 10) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07882J5Y2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_tLTADbRD5KY20

Also does anyone know if I would void my warrenty by making these changes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

If you go with this plan, I'd move the os to the SSD and use the hdd as a data drive. Will boot so much faster from SSD.
    As far as I know, upgrading won't void the warranty, but if you have to do any warranty stuff just put it back to original setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

You won't void warranty but it's a really poor laptop for any kind of gaming unless they're very old or more simple games like Fortnite or some low-demand strategy games. I've used a 940MX and even Overwatch (a potato game by modern standards) still only ran at 720p low settings. Rather that all the upgrades (and still be left with a slow laptop) just spend £550 on a proper new one if you want to do light gaming. Any sort of modern AAA game won't run on that even at lowest settings/resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭knockers84

The Onboard intel graphics is basically as strong as the Nvidia card. Avoid if you want something for gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭dcfc91

Homelander wrote: »
    You won't void warranty but it's a really poor laptop for any kind of gaming unless they're very old or more simple games like Fortnite or some low-demand strategy games. I've used a 940MX and even Overwatch (a potato game by modern standards) still only ran at 720p low settings. Rather that all the upgrades (and still be left with a slow laptop) just spend £550 on a proper new one if you want to do light gaming. Any sort of modern AAA game won't run on that even at lowest settings/resolution.

Any recommendations for one at around that price point?

Advertisement