Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting in US!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,461 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

A fire where a few cars burned in Cork is RTE's main story, not a single mention of 30 people being shot dead in USA, you have to love the massively overmanned organisation with zero weekend cover.

It’s RTE. They’ll have the story in a few hours.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

delminteop wrote: »
    Now we have to wait to see if this is the worst mass shooting in US history.

You seem positively aroused at the idea... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

A fire where a few cars burned in Cork is RTE's main story, not a single mention of 30 people being shot dead in USA, you have to love the massively overmanned organisation with zero weekend cover.

Read that article. Easily the laziest piece of journalism I've seen ever.
    It is thought the fire could impact on the operation of the centre whose flagship tenants include Tesco and Marks and Spencer.

Its carpark, at least, is burnt to a damn crisp.
    No **** it will be affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

only 2 dead so far, not 30

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Reports are 1 dead though. Seems this was a traffic stop gone bad. Guy was stopped, lost the plot, shot the cop, and then sped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Just to be clear I am 100% pro gun. But absolutely not high powered rifles. Ideally the second amendment should be limited to handguns and hunting rifles. I believe in the right to defend yourself.

Will never happen in the US.

I know if I lived in America I would probably consider buying a handgun for my protection. At least something in the house to fightcriminals. Never understand the need for an assault rifle though.

If Trump wants to go down in history as a good President, he can do something that Obama or Clinton could never do. Pass common sense gun laws. Limiting magazine sizes, gun licenses, registration. Mandatory backgrounds checks etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Its a weekly basis this stuff is happening over there now.

...and proceeded to shoot 30-50 people?

No, just one it seems. Reports say injures to multiple people, but that those injures could be falling over trying to run away.

Only repeating what CNN are saying.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I know if I lived in America I would probably consider buying a handgun for my protection. At least something in the house to fightcriminals. Never understand the need for an assault rifle though.

If Trump wants to go down in history as a good President, he can do something that Obama or Clinton could never do. Pass common sense gun laws. Limiting magazine sizes, gun licenses, registration. Mandatory backgrounds checks etc etc

I think if anyone can/will do it it’ll be trump. But it won’t happen before 2020, the NRA will throw millions at anyone that’ll keep the cash piling in.

Mandatory checks are in place by the way.

It will happen but it’ll happen in stages...and itll take years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

• Advertisement

You mean fake news CNN?

No, this is a very serious incident.

CNN/FOX it’s all fake.

Watch the extreme left, young Turks etc. and watch the extreme right, Alex Jones. Make your mind up. If you believe a specific channel ie. the BBC, RTÉ doesn’t have an agenda you’re sadly mistaken.

5 confirmed dead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Cycle continues.

People will demand tighter gun controls, nothing will happen.

Gun nut will deny the one common denominator is the problem.

Rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

One dead, nine wounded in French knife attack. Not so long ago there was trucks and vans mowing people down in the dozens. It’s not guns, it’s crazy nuts, if they can’t shoot people they’ll always find another way.

but it just happens that near military grade weapons are a really really great way.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,826 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there an Oirish bar in the area that Joe Duffy can call on Monday to see what colour the bullets were?

bilston wrote: »
    This is mental.

Why are there not tens of millions of Americans marching against their ridiculous gun laws?

would you gather in a crowd in the US to protest firearm ownership?

i wouldnt tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Havent seen any reports of 30 dead yet. Where did you see it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

One dead, nine wounded in French knife attack. Not so long ago there was trucks and vans mowing people down in the dozens. It’s not guns, it’s crazy nuts, if they can’t shoot people they’ll always find another way.

True but even the Omagh bombing does not come close to the death toll of some of the more recent shootings in the U.S.
    One lone gunman is more of a threat than a well equiped and organised paramity operatation!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

bilston wrote: »
    This is mental.

Why are there not tens of millions of Americans marching against their ridiculous gun laws?

Part of me thinks that the horse has bolted to such an extent (or there's that many guns out there already) that changing the gun laws now wouldn't make a not of difference.

Anyway hopefully casualties are at a minimum, particularly amongst kids. All loss of life is tragic, but when government inaction leads to the needless deaths of kids then you have to wonder what the actual f*** is going on.

Tens of millions of Americans dearly want to hold on to their guns far too much to give them up.
    It’s always been my point that there are far too many guns out there to do anything about it now. It’s twenty years since Columbine and successive administrations have done nothing about it every since, so it’s kinda ridiculous to lay the responsibility at the door of the current admin.
    I don’t think anything can be done to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I think if anyone can/will do it it’ll be trump. But it won’t happen before 2020, the NRA will throw millions at anyone that’ll keep the cash piling in.

Mandatory checks are in place by the way.

It will happen but it’ll happen in stages...and itll take years.

At least 50 years. De-gunning the Americans would be the same as retraining Irish people not to make every celebration/family event into a reason to get rat arsed drunk to the point of death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭bilston

splinter65 wrote: »
    Tens of millions of Americans dearly want to hold on to their guns far too much to give them up.
    It’s always been my point that there are far too many guns out there to do anything about it now. It’s twenty years since Columbine and successive administrations have done nothing about it every since, so it’s kinda ridiculous to lay the responsibility at the door of the current admin.
    I don’t think anything can be done to be honest.

I don't disagree which is why I said the horse has already bolted in my original post.

However Trump seems to occasionally encourage people to arm themselves in order to stop these mass shootings.

As for tens of millions dearly wanting to hold onto their guns...great...I'm sure the parents of the Sandy Hook victims would dearly love to have their kids back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

There are more guns in America than there are Americans

So where are the ones with the guns to ‘stop this happening’
    And this in Texas. Proper gun country.
    ****ing depressing. How many lives and families ruined by this

When will it stop

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Afghan refugee went on a stabbing frenzy in Paris today apparently. Not on the news though.

World mad. People crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

splinter65 wrote: »
    At least 50 years. De-gunning the Americans would be the same as retraining Irish people not to make every celebration/family event into a reason to get rat arsed drunk to the point of death.

Probably easier confiscating the guns.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Afghan refugee went on a stabbing frenzy in Paris today apparently. Not on the news though.

World mad. People crazy

It is in the news. I already mentioned it in this thread. Where there’s a will there’s a way.

It is in the news. I already mentioned it in this thread. Where there’s a will there’s a way.

well no theres not always.

if I have the will to massacre a room full of people on the fourth floor then a van or a knife isn't going to be much help.

a semi-automatic rifle with 30 rnd capacity might help ... so long as the govt dont get in my way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Are you saying that when ISIS terror attacks were at its peak it didn't have the will that came anywhere close to being as strong as the Orlando or Las Vegas shooters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

tuxy wrote: »
    Are you saying that when ISIS terror attacks were at its peak it didn't have the will that came anywhere close to being as strong as the Orlando or Las Vegas shooters?

Ehh it’s the same thing. The objective is to kill as many people as possible.

Look. If I really wanted to I could easily kill 20 people tomorrow morning with my car. The guns are not the issue here. It’s easy blame them and that’s the narrative right now.

Mental health. I’ll say it over and over.

• Advertisement

Ehh it’s the same thing. The objective is to kill as many people as possible.

Look. If I really wanted to I could easily kill 20 people tomorrow morning with my car. The guns are not the issue here. It’s easy blame them and that’s the narrative right now.

Mental health. I’ll say it over and over.

But not with a plane. Or commercial explosives. Or a guided missile.

Because those things are hard to get your hands on. And yeah they'll kill more people than your car.

Why would you keep saying mental health? and why for this issue in particular?

Why not petty theft ... mental health.
    Tax evasion ... mental health.
    Vandalism ... mental health.

All of these issues can also be solved with ''mental health'' and a proper training course.

Advertisement