Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a stunning day in Dunshaughlin, temperature currently 19C. More of the same tomorrow, a few well sheltered places could reach 20C, but low 20's doesn't look like happening now with an onshore wind keeping things slightly cooler.

Saturday may still reach 20C if there is any sun, but cooler air crossing the country Saturday afternoon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

21C here at Dunshaughlin now, Oak Park sitting at 22C. Today could well be the warmest day of this spell, could be slightly cooler tomorrow with a stronger onshore southeasterly breeze and slightly more cloud. Highest temperatures tomorrow will probably be in the west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

5pm September 19th

Athenry 22 degrees
    Claremorris 22 degrees
    Oak Park 22 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

It just dropped 2 degrees here in the last half hour, from 20 to 18. The high today was 20.7C.

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    It just dropped 2 degrees here in the last half hour, from 20 to 18. The high today was 20.7C.

the south-east wind has lowered temperatures across much of Dublin over the past 2 hours. Dublin Airport now just 17C and Phoenix Park at 19c. It's lowered from 21C to 20C here near Dunshaughlin also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

A lot of cloud again this morning in Letterkenny but turned into a beautiful afternoon/evening with plenty of sunshine, would say today was nicer than any day we had all summer :)

Quickly replaced by today which is comfortably the nicest day all year, first day of unbroken sunshine in a long time :)

Gonzo wrote: »
    the south-east wind has lowered temperatures across much of Dublin over the past 2 hours. Dublin Airport now just 17C and Phoenix Park at 19c. It's lowered from 21C to 20C here near Dunshaughlin also.

It is quite cool in the breeze and in the shade, just like earlier this summer.

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    It is quite cool in the breeze and in the shade, just like earlier this summer.

it's a bit unfortunate, most of the time we get some nice high pressure, the wind nearly always has a cooling easterly or south-easterly which lowers the temperature by several degrees. By the time the wind swings around to a south-westerly we're back in the cloud or rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got up to a glorious 23C here near Tralee today in unbroken sunshine, Kerry airport up to 21C and Shannon got 21.3C. Think I got a bit of a Fohn effect here and possibly a higher temp as my site becomes a bit more shaded although there has not been too much deviation with other sites over the year. The only time I see higher Temps here than local stations is if we get a SE'ly breeze and I reckon we get a nudge up on temps as the airflow moves over the land Mountain ranges.

3 days in a row now over 20C .

Looks like the high teens tomorrow , might just scrape 20C , we will see.

NASA from earlier today.

FUB4k6x.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Artane2002

It's a nice morning in Dublin 5 but it looks like it rained last night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭pauldry

Only 4c in Mt Dillon but 16c in Valentia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cloudier morning in cork city with a cool breeze that wasn't there the last few days.

one final beautiful day in Meath, temperature currently 16C and unbroken sunshine, this is the last day of it, make the most of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The fog has been burnt off - still a bit of heat in the sun! 16.6c.
    Not a great time to be on holliers in Portugal or Spain.
    https://en.sat24.com/en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

one final beautiful day in Meath, temperature currently 16C and unbroken sunshine, this is the last day of it, make the most of it!

It's got very windy in the last hour in Arklow SSE off the sea which is s cool wind
    Gusting over 40kmh
    Prior to that it was calm and foggy
    Sunny at the moment

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It's got very windy in the last hour in Arklow SSE off the sea which is s cool wind
    Gusting over 40kmh
    Prior to that it was calm and foggy
    Sunny at the moment

that SE wind really having an effect on temperatures, warmest across the northwest with 21C. Temperatures in parts of Dublin struggling to get above 17C. Similar situation in the UK with warmest temperatures north-west Wales and far west of Scotland.

temp_uk.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

20.8C in Castlebar currently with a nice light breeze, its seems to be a tradition now here to get a good run of 20C plus days at some point in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

that SE wind really having an effect on temperatures, warmest across the northwest with 21C. Temperatures in parts of Dublin struggling to get above 17C. Similar situation in the UK with warmest temperatures north-west Wales and far west of Scotland.
    17.2c now which is very respectable for the second half of September, even in June or July it wouldn't go much higher than that in my parts when there is a strong breeze off the sea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just made it up over 20C here near Tralee today. Strong enough wind at times but still grand to be out in in short sleeves with unbroken sunshine again..... but not for long more as weather waits in the wings as the Hp drifts into Europe.

14.5C atm

NASA pic of the HP over Ireland and the UK today.

BqdStZ5.png?1

yO6ZtAn.gif

NASA pic of the HP over Ireland and the UK today.

it really shows the difference in rainfall between Ireland and England all summer. Ireland is dark green and UK getting browner from eastern Wales, very brown in the SE and up along the eastern section of UK. You can also make out a little bit of brown along the east coast of Ireland.

It's all change from Sunday, London hasn't really had much rain since the June cold spell, but next week it is going to be their wettest week since early June. Very wet everywhere next week no matter what part of Ireland or UK you live in.

• Advertisement

I was in London last weekend and as i said at the time the difference in such a short distance was amazing. Dublin was wet, lush and green, London more like Southern Spain with everything scorched brown. Surely one of the best summers on record over there?

it really shows the difference in rainfall between Ireland and England all summer. Ireland is dark green and UK getting browner from eastern Wales, very brown in the SE and up along the eastern section of UK. You can also make out a little bit of brown along the east coast of Ireland.

It's all change from Sunday, London hasn't really had much rain since the June cold spell, but next week it is going to be their wettest week since early June. Very wet everywhere next week no matter what part of Ireland or UK you live in.

Quite brown on the eastern coastal fringes of Ireland too if you zoom in!

Its 15c at 11pm here in Arklow, it's a warm evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Quite brown on the eastern coastal fringes of Ireland too if you zoom in!

Its 15c at 11pm here in Arklow, it's a warm evening

Mortelaro reading your reports throughout the summer it sounds like ye had a great summer in arklow,how would you rate it in comparison to recent years?

I was in London last weekend and as i said at the time the difference in such a short distance was amazing. Dublin was wet, lush and green, London more like Southern Spain with everything scorched brown. Surely one of the best summers on record over there?

I think London get's like that almost every summer.

Ireland did get very unlucky this summer, we just couldn't tap into any of the heatwaves that everywhere else got for at least a few days in June, July and August. Europe and much of the UK had an amazing summer with very little rain apart from thunderstorms and lots of dry and hot weather. It's really just Ireland, north-west England and most of Scotland that was stuck under the Atlantic influence for most of the summer. The west of Ireland bore the brunt of it with rainfall totals in August that were more than double anywhere else in Ireland.

Mortelaro reading your reports throughout the summer it sounds like ye had a great summer in arklow,how would you rate it in comparison to recent years?

From a farming point of view it was better than last summer because there was just enough (barely) rain to keep stuff growing

Most summers have a lot of fine weather
    I feel a reckoning usually comes at the back end though

I think London get's like that almost every summer.

Not to the extent that it is at the moment, I lived in London for a few years and have visited pretty much every year of my life and rarely seen it as scorched and dry as it is at the moment, as I said it looks more like Southern Spain than Northern Europe at the moment.

temp_uk.png

Today was the first day out of the last three that failed to reach 20 here in Glasnevin. The high was 18.9C despite all the sunshine. That southeast breeze was quite cool. It's currently a very respetable 15.1C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Gale force winds blowing in Lucan. House alarms going offand I just heard an almighty crash of done thing in one of my neighbours gardens getting knocked over. Big branch down on entrance to my street. This wasn't forecasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,217 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dublin airport only showing 10kts no gust, perhaps it's just from a more unusual direction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wild wondrous winds as forecast. Yesterday gathered blackberries and rose hips for probably the last time before rain and wind do their work... Magnificent skies once more.. the last days have watched a golden sun emerging over shining flat ocean. Such utter beauty.

Advertisement