Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It has gone very ,very quiet after a loud, gusty and wet night. Not a sound or a whisper..... shhh!

west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

29mm of rain Sligo town the night just gone

Wasnt expecting that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

pauldry wrote: »
    29mm of rain Sligo town the night just gone

Wasnt expecting that

Place drenched here in Castlebar also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Not meaning to derail, but does anyone else think that we have had much more torrential downpours over the last 10 years or so?

When I was a kid in the 80's it used to be frequent soft day misty weather. Now, more longer dry spells and then torrents.

Anybody feel the same?

Personally I don't think so,the eighty's for me had plenty of thundery down pours and much more hail

Yes and the problem looking at the radar as Km said is that theres no coverage here so our 30mm didnt even show on it. Bad Floods down by Doorley Park.

• Advertisement

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Munster, Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow and Offaly

Heavy rain at times with amounts of 25 to 35 mm possible and a risk of localized flooding.

Valid: Saturday 28 September 2019 17:00 to Sunday 29 September 2019 07:00

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Munster, Dublin, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Wexford, Wicklow and Offaly

Heavy rain at times with amounts of 25 to 35 mm possible and a risk of localized flooding.

Valid: Saturday 28 September 2019 17:00 to Sunday 29 September 2019 07:00

Going to be one or those horrible wet Autumn's I fear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ZX7R wrote: »
    Going to be one or those horrible wet Autumn's I fear.

There are hints that the second half of October could be dryer, but the first half of October is looking like a bit of a washout. We can safely say we won't be seeing any more 20C and sunny days till next year.

Gonzo wrote: »
    There are hints that the second half of October could be dryer, but the first half of October is looking like a bit of a washout. We can safely say we won't be seeing any more 20C and sunny days till next year.

Yes the charts hinting of a better second half but they where hinting at a cold plunge into eastern America,but I fear the Atlantic is firing up and might not be easy to quite back down.
    It really reminds me of autumn 2017 similar start and strong looking wind storm looking likely at the end of the week

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yes the charts hinting of a better second half but they where hinting at a cold plunge into eastern America,but I fear the Atlantic is firing up and might not be easy to quite back down.
    It really reminds me of autumn 2017 similar start and strong looking wind storm looking likely at the end of the week

at one stage we were looking at a quiet final few days of September and first week of October, that's now been pushed to the second half of October, I think we know where this one is going! The Long range charts is also very grim indeed for those who want a cold and seasonal winter this year.

• Advertisement

at one stage we were looking at a quiet final few days of September and first week of October, that's now been pushed to the second half of October, I think we know where this one is going! The Long range charts is also very grim indeed for those who want a cold and seasonal winter this year.

Another season of looking at the charts and chasing sadly.

Plus we are due a wet autumn/winter.
    Probably over due one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Hopefully they're as accurate as last year ;)

Raining ,sometimes heavy,here in Castlebar since 3pm. Not showing at all on radar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

raining since about 3ish in cork city too, steady with occasional bursts of heavier rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

It has been a lovely afternoon out here; dry and calm and fresh. west mayo offshore island

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Not meaning to derail, but does anyone else think that we have had much more torrential downpours over the last 10 years or so?

When I was a kid in the 80's it used to be frequent soft day misty weather. Now, more longer dry spells and then torrents.

Anybody feel the same?

Personally I don't think so,the eighty's for me had plenty of thundery down pours and much more hail
    Agreed. 1985, 1986 were nightmarish. It rained heavily like clockwork every afternoon both summers.
    2008 was another summer of freaky deluges. In the Midlands anyway

Raining ,sometimes heavy,here in Castlebar since 3pm. Not showing at all on radar

And here. Had an absolute downpour an hour ago . Added 5mm more. 36mm for day now in Sligo but Ogimet has 13mm as highest in Malin. Also Sooey bone dry just 15 mins away so Markree prob only 10mm. Ill check met

Markree only 5mm since midnight

Im stumped. Never seen a day as extreme a difference as this in a long long time. Very bad floods this morning in Sligo so there was 30mm of rain but puzzled how Markree barely got any and nationally only 13mm until now in South

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Nice enough day in Letterkenny, was up early for the rugby and had plenty of sunshine all morning. Clouded over with some spits of rain but feeling mild and flat calm

Edit: Beautiful evening now with clear pink skies and not a breath of wind :)

A heavy shower in Drogheda about 5pm just as I went running.
    No rain since.
    I’m actually a bit annoyed as listening to Met Eireann today was meant to be horrific, floods, torrential rain ..? I put my sister off visiting me today because of the the forecast, really thought it was going to be so much worse ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

A heavy shower in Drogheda about 5pm just as I went running.
    No rain since.
    I’m actually a bit annoyed as listening to Met Eireann today was meant to be horrific, floods, torrential rain ..? I put my sister off visiting me today because of the the forecast, really thought it was going to be so much worse ??

This was the early afternoon forecast from ME.

Rain will continue to spread northwards across Munster and south Leinster today, turning heavy & persistent. Elsewhere, there will be good dry periods & scattered showers. Highest temperatures of 14-17 degrees in moderate southwest winds which will back southeasterly later today.

And this was the forecast this morning:

A mix of cloud & bright / sunny spells this morning with scattered showers. This afternoon heavy rain will move into the SW and will spread northwards over Munster, Leinster & Connacht this evening, bringing a risk of some localised flooding. Highest temperatures of 14 to 16°C.

Nothing in those forecasts suggests Drogheda was due heavy rain before around now.

This weather event has been forecast fairly accurately so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very small drops of rain falling in cork city now but was raining all night and some very heavy rain falling before that too. Was a shocking night

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Miserable night out there. Well on the way now to my wettest September on record

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Dirty wet cold night in Galway City

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rain belting down in Kildare now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Horrible night out there now after a cloudy but dry day, rain is hammering down

Meath

Horrible night out there now after a cloudy but dry day, rain is hammering down

Meath

very heavy rain here too, can hear the splashes from the gutters.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Miserable night out there. Well on the way now to my wettest September on record

and there is no end in sight to the frequent bursts of heavy rain.

the next 2 weeks look very wet indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

and there is no end in sight to the frequent bursts of heavy rain.

the next 2 weeks look very wet indeed.

No comment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

very heavy rain here too, can hear the splashes from the gutters.

Yep and can hear it off the roof to, real heavy stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Horrible out in Dublin...even the dog didn't wanna nip out to go to loo before bed...I don't blame him

Advertisement