Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2019 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Love an evening like this evening. Clear blue skies at sunset,some stars out now. Bita frost over night followed by nice clear skies again tomorrow. Nice quite Autumn weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Love an evening like this evening. Clear blue skies at sunset,some stars out now. Bita frost over night followed by nice clear skies again tomorrow. Nice quite Autumn weather

Nice and seasonal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Lucreto wrote: »
    Rather be put out of my misery early than the carrot dangling just out of reach that was last year.
    Exactly, everything seemed to be falling into place last winter with the SSW and solar minimum - the result was a summer like February and the first ever 20c recorded in the UK for a winter month! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Yes feeling much colder today with the breeze. Had a squally shower of sleet here in Roscommon an hour ago.

2 degrees higher reading this afternoon compared to yesterday, but felt 5 degrees colder.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Whatever is forecast for the winter it will probably end up being the opposite...the weather does not seem to follow any predictions and does what it wants:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Ended up a terrible afternoon/evening here with frequent heavy showers with torrential bursts. Hail and sleet on the back edge

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

pauldry wrote: »
    I think it will be a cold Winter with some snow. But this efening horrible in Northwest. Met Eireann says well scattered showers. Its raining every 5 minutes

“Cold winter with some snow” this is some groundbreaking forecasting here mate you really could be on to something 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Cold enough in cork city, didn't rain I don't think but I was working in doors all day. Some frost on the cars now too, thin frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Chilly and windy. End of!

PS add loud icy deluges to that mix. Happy Sunday...

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Absolute cracker of a morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Gorgeous day in South Dublin . I can feel the heat of the sun sitting with my back to a window . Off out now to enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

‘Tis beautiful indeed in Dublin.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

enjoy the dry and settled conditions of the next 3 days folks, from Thursday we are back to square one with the onslaught of the Atlantic! Now is the time to enjoy the outdoors, go for walks etc.

It is indeed lovely; it is this weekend the tides are at a very low ebb and the sands are exposed along the coast. Fascinating.

The ocean and mountains are magnificent and bring tears with the utter beauty. Forgiving the bitter chill of earlier... a day to catch up with blanket washing that has to be done by hand.

west mayo, the most beautiful place in Ireland.. offshore even more lovely ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Beautiful morning for golf. Out at 08.30, a chill in the air but little wind and perfectly blue sky.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Gonzo wrote: »
    enjoy the dry and settled conditions of the next 3 days folks, from Thursday we are back to square one with the onslaught of the Atlantic! Now is the time to enjoy the outdoors, go for walks etc.

Definitely looking more that way. Great day today, calm and sunny here in Kerry and tomorrow dry for nearly all except for a couple of light showers near coasts perhaps. Tues rain spreading slowly into Munster, should remain dry for much of the country until evening. Bit of a spread in the models but the ECM has been showing very wet conditions along Southern counties Weds. Rain in parts each day thereafter especially next weekend with LP anchored over or near us for a number of days if would seem. Potential for a lot of precipitation from late Tues into the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another beautiful autumn day in Dublin. We have had great family days put over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Cool clear and calm. 0.9c in South Laois. Overnight low last night was -2.6c.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Low Temps the last 4 days : Weds 4.4C , Thurs 4.9C , Fri 1.8C, Sat 2.4C and currently 3.7C now here near Tralee out near the coast.

One good thing about the cold weather is that it might slow down the grass growth. Been an exceptional year of growth here and been cutting it since late Jan and again yesterday. Missed some cutting recently because of the timing of rain over the last couple of weeks and the back garden still needs two more cuts to get it down low enough for the winter.

One good thing about the cold weather is that it might slow down the grass growth. Been an exceptional year of growth here and been cutting it since late Jan and again yesterday. Missed some cutting recently because of the timing of rain over the last couple of weeks and the back garden still needs two more cuts to get it down low enough for the winter.

The persistently waterlogged ground seems to have killed off most of the grass here, nearly all moss now. I only cut the grass maybe 5 or 6 times all year, I haven't touched it since early September and it's still short as ever!

It's been a nice enough weekend here though plenty of showers piling in throughout, a lot lighter than the torrential showers on Friday at least

• Advertisement

The persistently waterlogged ground seems to have killed off most of the grass here, nearly all moss now. I only cut the grass maybe 5 or 6 times all year, I haven't touched it since early September and it's still short as ever!

It's been a nice enough weekend here though plenty of showers piling in throughout, a lot lighter than the torrential showers on Friday at least

Been following your reports throughout the year and no doubt ye got some of the poorest weather this year in the NW. I see Finner is at 1094mm already with most months far wetter than last year . In comparison have measured 875mm approx here near Tralee ( I see Shannon is at 882mm and Valentia at 1319.7mm ). Highest so far is Newport at 1423mm.

Yeah I have seen years where the grass was yellow and stunted from excessive rain. Our site has improved also with drainage and planting tons of trees as well mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Been following your reports throughout the year and no doubt ye got some of the poorest weather this year in the NW. I see Finner is at 1094mm already with most months far wetter than last year . In comparison have measured 875mm approx here near Tralee ( I see Shannon is at 882mm and Valentia at 1319.7mm ). Highest so far is Newport at 1423mm.

Yeah I have seen years where the grass was yellow and stunted from excessive rain. Our site has improved also with drainage and planting tons of trees as well mind you.

Whoa! That's some amount of rainfall. 666mm here in south Laois up to this morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dunsany has recorded the 3rd very wet month in a row, but we escaped some of the worst of the downpours this month compared to other areas.

August - 123.9
    September - 125.0
    October so far - 72.1

We may get another 10 or 15mm added to that total before Friday.

Dunsany is already sitting on 729.4 for the year which is fairly high considering we could have potentially another 2 very wet months to see out the year. Most years finish in the 750-820mm range.

Danno wrote: »
    Whoa! That's some amount of rainfall. 666mm here in south Laois up to this morning.

Crazy amount and according to the ECM could be getting anywhere between 50 and 70mm in the next 7 days, as could us here in Kerry.

It's not been too bad here since the nice spell we had in September to be fair, nothing special but from reading reports on here I think we've generally escaped the worst of it. Summer months were a different story though as I'm sure people were aware from my daily depressing reports :pac:

I don't think rainfall totals even tell the full story, even on drier days during the summer more often than not it was grey, damp and sunless with temperatures in the mid teens so no real cues to kick-start plant growth

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Theres been 9mm of rain in Sligo today n yesterday when Met Eireann said scattered showers. We had 15 showers in Sligo today. Thats not scattered. We had 8 scattered showers yesterday. So 23 scattered showers. Met Eireann "a few scattered showers in the Northwest" Is 23 a few Met Eireann?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

pauldry wrote: »
    Theres been 9mm of rain in Sligo today n yesterday when Met Eireann said scattered showers. We had 15 showers in Sligo today. Thats not scattered. We had 8 scattered showers yesterday. So 23 scattered showers. Met Eireann "a few scattered showers in the Northwest" Is 23 a few Met Eireann?

Very apt username Paul! Depends how far apart the showers are I think for a definition of scattered.

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    Very apt username Paul! Depends how far apart the showers are I think for a definition of scattered.

scattered as opposed to a continuous downpour..accurate enough. Now if they said " occasional"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Tuam Co galway this morning
    pyS5t3f.jpg

• Advertisement

Dazzlingly bright and bitingly cold. My hands froze hanging washing out.
    west mayo offshore

Advertisement