Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai investigate cause of fire at multi-storey car park in Cork

Options

Comments

I heard it was a BMW egr fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If they discover it all started from a singe car will the insurance company for that car be responsible for all damage caused?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

I heard it was a Fuego

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How many cars were wrecked in this? Some dose for those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

I didn't think it was possible for a single car to catch fire in a concrete structure and for it to culminate in 60 burnt out cars and a compromised structure, insane stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not motors related (other than cars were burning)

Motors -> Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Gardai investigate cause of fire...
    So... doing their job?

There's already a thread on this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

If they discover it all started from a singe car will the insurance company for that car be responsible for all damage caused?

This is of interest to me also.
    How is liability apportioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

More details are in the main thread on the topic: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058011450&page=7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I didn't think it was possible for a single car to catch fire in a concrete structure and for it to culminate in 60 burnt out cars and a compromised structure, insane stuff.

It's a steel structure, and once one car catches fire it's not that hard for it to spread to other very flammable cars within a confined space.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Once petrol gets to a certain temperature it self-ignites.

Even from within that fire, the fire service were saying as they were putting cars out, they were self-lighting up again from the temps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Word on local radio this morning is that the fire allegedly started in an Opel Zafira, which had recalls in recent years due to catching fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Word on local radio this morning is that the fire allegedly started in an Opel Zafira, which had recalls in recent years due to catching fire.

Which according to the manufacturer, wasn't their fault...In London alone there has been 70 zafira fires since last November

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Which according to the manufacturer, wasn't their fault...In London alone there has been 70 zafira fires since last November

It'll get messy. No doubt the car owner will try and blame Opel to absolve themselves of any blame. 70 Zaifra's since last November? :eek: Be interesting to see how this side of it all plays out

• Registered Users Posts: 86,673 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is it a full or partial demolition? Considering it's the first and second floors i'd have thought a full demolition.

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2019/0901/1073100-fire-douglas-cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

GM should foot the bill

fryup wrote: »
    GM should foot the bill

Will be interesting to see are they actually liable for it as in was the remedial work carried out on this vehicle or not

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

kippy wrote: »
    This is of interest to me also.
    How is liability apportioned?

Each insurer will pay. Even if it is the zafira with known recall issue, it will be impossible to say for certain with that much damage done now so the insurers for each policy holder will foot the bill.

I bet it was an insurance company started the fire, just do they can increase insurance premiums. Sneaky blaggards

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

Will be interesting to see are they actually liable for it as in was the remedial work carried out on this vehicle or not

Doesn't matter a tap. They won't be liable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

fryup wrote: »
    GM should foot the bill

GM sold Opel-Vauxhall to PSA in 2017.

Advertisement