Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How long would it take?

• 01-09-2019 2:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭

So we were supposed to move into our new home in July this year. However, the electric wiring, plumbing, painting, etc. are going to start from next week only. According to the builder it would take 2 months at max and we will be ready to move in then.
    He did made the structure of 6 semiD homes in 7 months (no scaffolding left behind).
    My query is, does it seem realistic that inners of the house would be completed in 2 months time?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

So we were supposed to move into our new home in July this year. However, the electric wiring, plumbing, painting, etc. are going to start from next week only. According to the builder it would take 2 months at max and we will be ready to move in then.
    He did made the structure of 6 semiD homes in 7 months (no scaffolding left behind).
    My query is, does it seem realistic that inners of the house would be completed in 2 months time?

Thanks

I presume second fix plumbing and electrical. If so then 2 months is realistic. Is tiling to bathrooms done? Have they started hanging doors yet or is the stairs fitted?

If it's first fix electrics and plumbing then no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Not sure what does it mean by second fix electrical?

Yes, stairs are in place. Windows too. But not the doors. Attic is ready also.

Nothing done in bathroom. It's just the shell of the house which is ready.
    Dudda wrote: »
    I presume second fix plumbing and electrical. If so then 2 months is realistic. Is tiling to bathrooms done? Have they started hanging doors yet or is the stairs fitted?

If it's first fix electrics and plumbing then no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Not sure what does it mean by second fix electrical?

Yes, stairs are in place. Windows too. But not the doors. Attic is ready also.

Nothing done in bathroom. It's just the shell of the house which is ready.

1st fix - CU, cables are run, wall boxes in place etc...
    2nd fix - after the house is slabbed the light switches, socket faces etc... Need to be completed.

2 months for 2nd fix seems plenty. If 1st fix is not complete and walls are not slabbed yet... Doubtful.

Alright, thanks for this info.

So the 1st fix hasn't been done yet. So perhaps 3 months.
    mloc123 wrote: »
    1st fix - CU, cables are run, wall boxes in place etc...
    2nd fix - after the house is slabbed the light switches, socket faces etc... Need to be completed.

2 months for 2nd fix seems plenty. If 1st fix is not complete and walls are not slabbed yet... Doubtful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Alright, thanks for this info.

So the 1st fix hasn't been done yet. So perhaps 3 months.

So no walls have plasterboard and nowhere is plastered? It's going to be a push to get in for Christmas.

• Advertisement

No inner plaster done.
    So it looks like a 4 months job, Christmas in the new home if we are lucky
    Dudda wrote: »
    So no walls have plasterboard and nowhere is plastered? It's going to be a push to get in for Christmas.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ah I wouldn't say as long as that. Once they focus on finishing out your house things will move pretty quickly. 2-3 months doable.

That said, 7 months to build the externals of 6 houses is very slow. Are there earlier phases of your development still being built that the builder is putting resources on or something?

Yea i felt it slow also. No, there are no earlier phases. This is the new phase, and his previous phase was around 10 years ago.

I noticed he has a handful of labour only, maybe 5-7 people doing all the work. I told him to hire more labour but he said he trusts these people only and wishes to keep same superior quality on all new homes.

Additionally tarmacadam road outside the homes need to be placed also.

Lets see, can't wait to move in.

awec wrote: »
    Ah I wouldn't say as long as that. Once they focus on finishing out your house things will move pretty quickly. 2-3 months doable.

That said, 7 months to build the externals of 6 houses is very slow. Are there earlier phases of your development still being built that the builder is putting resources on or something?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Putting tarmac on the road will probably be the very last thing they do after they've finished all the houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

if your talking about finished, ie all finishes done, floors, tiles, bathrooms, kitchens, etc, itl be after christmas,

• Advertisement

Oh Gosh, so moving out is no where this year!! :(
    woody1 wrote: »
    if your talking about finished, ie all finishes done, floors, tiles, bathrooms, kitchens, etc, itl be after christmas,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭enricoh

Id take any date an estate builder says with a large dollop of salt.
    They always have esb, irish water, weather etc etc to blame for delays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

well, whats the situation, its an estate house i gather so are you choosing finishes ? are you picking the kitchen, or is every house the same, thatl make it quicker obviously,
    it doesnt sound like there are crews of the different trades following each other in and out of the houses in sequence , just from what your saying about numbers of tradesmen
    i deal mostly in one off houses in the country and if it was one of those i would be more definite in saying not before christmas

if your in in december i think youl be doing well

Yes, it's an estate house with 6 semi detached house. Phase 2 with additional 14 houses will commence once these 6 houses are done.

We are choosing the kitchen, tiles colour, bathroom, etc. and paying extras if required.

Builder told us last year it will be ready to move in July 2019. But of course only the shell is ready now. Now he guaranteed it will be ready to move in by November, but I highly doubt it.

woody1 wrote: »
    well, whats the situation, its an estate house i gather so are you choosing finishes ? are you picking the kitchen, or is every house the same, thatl make it quicker obviously,
    it doesnt sound like there are crews of the different trades following each other in and out of the houses in sequence , just from what your saying about numbers of tradesmen
    i deal mostly in one off houses in the country and if it was one of those i would be more definite in saying not before christmas

if your in in december i think youl be doing well

Advertisement