Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Locked keys in boot 520d

• 01-09-2019 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hi guys, looking for some help on this.
    I've locked the keys of my 520d(08 E60) in the boot. I've no spare. Will a locksmith be able to open it or will I need a coded key?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is any other door open?

Tbh, ring a BMW dealer and splash for a second key you will need anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Orderofchaos

biko wrote: »
    Is any other door open?

Tbh, ring a BMW dealer and splash for a second key you will need anyway.

No other door open unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

If you lock your keys in the boot of an (early) E60 and dont have a readily available spare by far the simplest, cheapest and least damaging option is to leave the car alone, get your log book and some photo ID, and nip to the nearest BMW dealership. A wallet key

If you lock your keys in the boot of an (early) E60 and dont have a readily available spare by far the simplest, cheapest and least damaging option is to leave the car alone, get your log book and some photo ID, and nip to the nearest BMW dealership. A wallet key

Thanks. What kinda money am I looking at for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭tphase

Hi guys, looking for some help on this.
    I've locked the keys of my 520d(08 E60) in the boot. I've no spare. Will a locksmith be able to open it or will I need a coded key?
    I know it's not helpful in terms of getting into your car but when you do, check your glove compartment. There's a slot on the right hand side of the door that might have a spare in it. I found mine a couple of months after I bought the car ('08 E61).
    Just out of curiosity, how did you lock the car without a key?

• Advertisement

tphase wrote: »
    I know it's not helpful in terms of getting into your car but when you do, check your glove compartment. There's a slot on the right hand side of the door that might have a spare in it. I found mine a couple of months after I bought the car ('08 E61).
    Just out of curiosity, how did you lock the car without a key?
    Opened boot, put keys in boot whilst removing suitcase, musta accidentally pressed the lock button with the case and then I closed the boot. Boot locked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I locked the keys in a new Mazda 6 in 2016- sadly very easily done! Opened the boot using the boot only opening mechanism on fob. Dropped stuff in boot including keys and shut the boot lid without thinking= keys locked in boot them. A silly flaw in the car if you ask me but it happened me.

road_high wrote: »
    I locked the keys in a new Mazda 6 in 2016- sadly very easily done! Opened the boot using the boot only opening mechanism on fob. Dropped stuff in boot including keys and shut the boot lid without thinking= keys locked in boot them. A silly flaw in the car if you ask me but it happened me.

How'd you get the boot opened after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I ordered a new key for my 99 3 series direct from BMW. It took a few days to arrive from Germany but only cost E60 inv VAT. You can order a basic key blade if needs be I'd be sure. You are allowed order up to 10 keys associated with the car in its lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

How'd you get the boot opened after?

I called the AA- no one was around to drop me out the spare keys so I was screwed- the guy was great, he had these small cushion/pump things that managaed to make enough space between the door and body panel and managed to release the door locks!!! Still had the problem of getting into the boot as there's no internal boot release on Mazda 6 but he managed to take a panel off and got it opened. Silly flaw in the car really- at least one door should stay unlocked even if only using the boot button.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭tphase

road_high wrote: »
    I called the AA- no one was around to drop me out the spare keys so I was screwed- the guy was great, he had these small cushion/pump things that managed to make enough space between the door and body panel and managed to release the door locks
    they're called air wedges - a couple of those and a bar long enough to reach the door release button on the dash might be what the OP needs
    Worth checking with your local mechanic who might have them in the toolkit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

Thanks. What kinda money am I looking at for that?
    I ordered a new key for my 99 3 series direct from BMW. It took a few days to arrive from Germany but only cost E60 inv VAT. You can order a basic key blade if needs be I'd be sure. You are allowed order up to 10 keys associated with the car in its lifetime.

50 to 60 euro

we had the other problem of trying to get into our 5 series when the battery failed, hook up power to rear light cluster to activate central locking

Advertisement