Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January 2020 Recruitment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gda88

NornIron74 wrote: »
    Was £150 when I went to them in February 2019

Sorry I must have mistaken it for the no tomatoes IST prep course. I can see how this will be a lot more expensive I’m sure it lasts a good bit longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

MrChew wrote: »
    Worth it, in your opinion?

I passed the AC so it was definitely worth it

Gda88 wrote: »
    Sorry I must have mistaken it for the no tomatoes IST prep course. I can see how this will be a lot more expensive I’m sure it lasts a good bit longer.

Yeah maybe, I never went to their IST course as I never knew about it. If I remember correctly it lasted from 10am to about half 4/5, so it was a long course but it flew by so quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

NornIron74 wrote: »
    I passed the AC so it was definitely worth it

Good enough for me, i'll keep an eye out for it starting up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SMS19

Gonzo94 wrote: »
    I personally didnt do that much because I didn't know how to prepare haha. The tips I got were "Ask loads of questions and show empathy". I wish I had have known about the coaching classes lol.

I basically showed up on the day and was just myself. I acted how I usually act with other people/strangers. I asked questions and showed empathy. I kind of messed up on my first role play but quickly pulled it back. Though that minute or two probably cost me a better position on the merit list. I still passed and was surprised with the score I got.

People will probably tell you to be anything other than yourself because of the type of role plays. I won't tell you to do or don't do that because I don't know you and I didn't act that way during my AC. Being myself worked for me and everyone might be different.

I will say don't over think it and try not to stress yourself out over it. Think about things, ask questions and show empathy. Trying to relax before each of the roleplays help me to let go of the nerves. Something as simple as deep breaths helped.

Try to have fun and enjoy it lol.

I would agree with all of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rhino100

Does anyone have any knowledge/ experience with coaching classes for taking on the ac? I’ve heard of one in particular but honestly can’t tell if it would be worth paying for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭penutzimes

rhino100 wrote: »
    Does anyone have any knowledge/ experience with coaching classes for taking on the ac? I’ve heard of one in particular but honestly can’t tell if it would be worth paying for.

Haven't been to one but you can definitely pass without it

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Nhs2018

penutzimes wrote: »

Hasn’t the format of the A/C changed anyway??? I went to a 1:1 tutor. She actually sat the A/C in 1710 and was fast tracked just so she knew that format when it changed. Worked for me M/L sub 220. However it was just pointing out the obvious. Empathy, good communication, taking ownership of the issue and fairness and respect for everyone.

It has changed so I'm not sure how they are going to be able to give you practice if they don't know themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 vhue30gnyzfj4b

Is it changing for this years campaign or did it change last year ? Anyone know if it’s a major difference ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Nhs2018

Is it changing for this years campaign or did it change last year ? Anyone know if it’s a major difference ?

It’s changing for this year so no one knows. The email sent out a while back lists the change in competencies tested.

It will be differnt or at least our performance will be assessed differently they will be looking for different things in us now compared to previous years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 psni21

The role of a police officer hasn't changed and therefore the Competency framework has just been amended so its more relevant and to allow for a better fit with frontline and non-frontline policing roles rather than ranks or work level. The main aspects to assess ie integrity, transparency, impartiality, public service etc won't have changed. They may amend their process slightly but the foundation of policing will always remain the same. As long as you're aware of these and don't act like a robot we'll all be OK :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Talking to people with empathy and compassion yet remaining in control is basically what you need to do. The competencies already exist in all of you as you have passed the IST it's just about showing the assessors that you have competence.

They cannot mark what they do not see, read or hear

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭NeeNaw21

but do not try to be something you're not as they will see through it as you are put under pressure. Find a way of wprking the suits you and be confident. Roll with it

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Newbieee

I never went to one and passed it under 300 ML

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Yukuza2008

Can somebody explain how the merit list works if you pass the AC if they could please?

Yukuza2008 wrote: »
    Can somebody explain how the merit list works if you pass the AC if they could please?

The better you do at ac the quicker you will get called for pca vetting etc so a lower merit list number means you will be called quicker than somebody to dint score as high and we're given a higher number.

The better you do at ac the quicker you will get called for pca vetting etc so a lower merit list number means you will be called quicker than somebody to dint score as high and we're given a higher number.

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Xxx1234

Anyone know how long the wait usually is from doing the assessment centre to getting your results

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Newbieee

Xxx1234 wrote: »
    Anyone know how long the wait usually is from doing the assessment centre to getting your results

It can range depending on when you get called For the AC from 2-4 months for results.
    On average from sitting the AC to actually starting GV it’s over a year

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sharon1986

I received an email from Deloitte yesterday as I had a change of personal detail that I needed updated so it seems they are back working on the recruitment drive as I had asked for this change in April however due to Covid they said they couldn't make it back then.

Hopefully we maybe get an date for AC this week as with the holiday at the start of next week that's us nearly mid July. Even with that AC dates will probably be August to allow for people to make arrangements for time off work etc attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86

Details have been released. Just received an email regarding the AC. Start of sept is my date.

nothing here yet.....how did u score in IST?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86

sharon1986 wrote: »
    nothing here yet.....how did u score in IST?

35/36 I scored

• Advertisement

Belfast86 wrote: »
    35/36 I scored

Good stuff, was thinking maybe they went in batches depending on ur score. Mine was 38 so maybe not. Maybe alphabetical.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gda88

Yes I’ve got my date for mid August.

Also received my date. The start of August!

Also received my date. The start of August!

Sorry meant the start of September.

Got mine not as soon as I would like but at least I got it

• Advertisement

Late July here

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tashbash

Got mine not as soon as I would like but at least I got it

Better to have it later, means less time between doing the AC and getting your result 😊 mines the end of September

sharon1986 wrote: »
    Late July here

Not too far away. You must of scored good for IST. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭walkman2302

Got a date too, by the looks of it we will be doing well to find out our results by Christmas lol

I got a date for start of September, don't think I will bother going though as I hope to have a call for 1810 by then

• Registered Users Posts: 9 FN2593

Got the Email, mid August here.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Si_zx10r

Got mine for middle of August :-) quite happy with that, allows a bit of time for prep without waiting too long.

I would advise all not to post exact dates

Maybe they will start vetting while the ac is still on going like they did for 1710

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Si_zx10r

At least we can rule out psni managed stages being started this year lol by the sounds of it, it will be mid next year before any new recruits from this recruitment drive get a start date 🙈

• Advertisement

Si_zx10r wrote: »
    At least we can rule out psni managed stages being started this year lol by the sounds of it, it will be mid next year before any new recruits from this recruitment drive get a start date 🙈

Most likely as they would still need to exhusty 2018 merit list first I would imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

Si_zx10r wrote: »

Someone the other day said it would take roughly a year from AC to appointment, so that sounds about right!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cat8609

Sept date . . Good to see it moving, let's hope no second wave of covid.

I hope there will be some fast track this year but with GV not filled they maybe not in a position to take lots of new students just yet

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234

Date in October! Lots of time to prep and work on fitness for later stages should I be successful at AC.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Flash_93

Results will be issued by December 4th 2020

4th December!!! Dear oh only another 5 MONTH'S to wait!! Only slimmer of sanity now is they reserve the right to progress candidates to psni manged stages before that!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 first_timer10

Last week of July here, just completed my medical for 1810 so hopefully have the results and don’t need to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Irishman84!

Got mine in a few weeks towards end of July. Gutted we won’t find out results til December. I previously went for a force in England and we found out the results 2 weeks after AC

• Advertisement

Not too far away. You must of scored good for IST. Best of luck

Scored 38 in IST. thanks!

Advertisement