Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January 2020 Recruitment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Ali82

Hi
    For those who had coaching (no tomatoes) and since done their Ac did they find it worth the ££?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 waiting.com

I've heard of people who did the coaching and they found it good to settle the nerves. I did my AC in August and didn't get any coaching and feel it went ok without it (definitely different!) Time will tell though! Whens your AC?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

Ali82 wrote: »
    Hi
    For those who had coaching (no tomatoes) and since done their Ac did they find it worth the ££?

Yes, I felt very well prepared and didn't feel thrown or overwhelmed by any of the exercises. Obviously I've no idea how I've actually done but I feel like the training let me give it my best shot.

Well worth the expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86

As above. Without the Training I would have been lost on what to do/say!!

Felt my AC day went very well - fingers crossed for December

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Si_zx10r

I found it good for settling the nerves and an idea of what to expect on the day. The a/c compared to training were totally different from my experience. In the a/c I was just myself and found the role plays went fairly well. Think I have done not so well in the written exercises (nerves) but the course didn't really cover these parts in any detail. We didn't actually cover the reporting instead got it emailed which if you do a quick Google search can find online. I think most people will be fine without the training as it is common sense and you can't really train someone how to behave in front of a victim/suspect/witness etc, thats what they are evaluating and it should come through in the scenarios how you would behave in a real life situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

Just got my call for the 1810 campaign, fingers crossed for everyone here come December.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wyl91

NornIron74 wrote: »
    Just got my call for the 1810 campaign, fingers crossed for everyone here come December.

Amazing!! Buzzing for you after your wait. Good luck with everything

Crack open the champagne, well done and good luck ;-)

Good lad/lady/three kids in a trenchcoat!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86

Ahhh well played buddy !! Get the bubbles out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Squill123

Hi guys, I have my assessment centre tomorrow and have an impending sense of dread about it. I’ve read through the competency framework and the email attachments they sent, but am wary that I didn’t attend training for it like many did. Apart from the above, is there realistically much I can do to prepare myself? Would appreciate any tips. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tashbash

Squill123 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I have my assessment centre tomorrow and have an impending sense of dread about it. I’ve read through the competency framework and the email attachments they sent, but am wary that I didn’t attend training for it like many did. Apart from the above, is there realistically much I can do to prepare myself? Would appreciate any tips. Thanks in advance.
    I don’t have much advice but don’t worry about not going to the training. When I had my first AC most of us at it hadn’t even heard of AC training. There was 1 person out of 20ish went to it.

Squill123 wrote: »

Dont stress mate, be yourself and follow instructions and you should be OK. Given the numbers that apply, only a small percentage attend the training and a high percentage pass so dont let that put you off and good luck tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Yukuza2008

Well done great news to hear. Best of luck! If you don’t mind me asking did you have a good merit list number? Seen you’ve been waiting a long time.

Yukuza2008 wrote: »
    Well done great news to hear. Best of luck! If you don’t mind me asking did you have a good merit list number? Seen you’ve been waiting a long time.

Thank you, I'm around 900 on the ML so well down. Will be 2 years next month since I applied :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Yukuza2008

Thank you, I'm around 900 on the ML so well down. Will be 2 years next month since I applied :eek:

It’s well deserved so. Long time but I’d say it’s definitely been worth the wait!

Yukuza2008 wrote: »
    It’s well deserved so. Long time but I’d say it’s definitely been worth the wait!

Yes it will be worth the wait, can't see myself wanting to do any other job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 vhue30gnyzfj4b

Si_zx10r wrote: »
    I found it good for settling the nerves and an idea of what to expect on the day. The a/c compared to training were totally different from my experience. In the a/c I was just myself and found the role plays went fairly well. Think I have done not so well in the written exercises (nerves) but the course didn't really cover these parts in any detail. We didn't actually cover the reporting instead got it emailed which if you do a quick Google search can find online. I think most people will be fine without the training as it is common sense and you can't really train someone how to behave in front of a victim/suspect/witness etc, thats what they are evaluating and it should come through in the scenarios how you would behave in a real life situation.

I couldn’t have written that any better, fully agree with everything you said. I definitely could’ve done a lot better in the writings. Trying not to stress too much as it’ll be a while before we get results

Thanks everyone. My Ac was supposed to be past but I couldn’t attend and thought I would have to withdraw my application but letting me do it at then end, mid Nov. Good thing is then don’t have long to wait on results

Do you get you ML then based on your ac score?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭penutzimes

Thanks everyone. My Ac was supposed to be past but I couldn’t attend and thought I would have to withdraw my application but letting me do it at then end, mid Nov. Good thing is then don’t have long to wait on results

Do you get you ML then based on your ac score?

At least you were able to get a new date, as far as a I know yes your ml position is determined by how you did at the ac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 BishBashBosh1

Great news !
    Anyone know if calls still going out every 6 weeks. Had to defer at start of year due to surgery that I've only just had due to hospital delays etc. Hoping for all clear from GP in a few weeks.

penutzimes wrote: »
    At least you were able to get a new date, as far as a I know yes your ml position is determined by how you did at the ac

Yes, people who pass the a/c are put on a list in merit order which is then passed to the psni who then progress you through the remaining stages. As stated previously, some people may progress before the results are released on the 04/12/2020. Just 12 weeks to wait now lol

Great news !
    Anyone know if calls still going out every 6 weeks. Had to defer at start of year due to surgery that I've only just had due to hospital delays etc. Hoping for all clear from GP in a few weeks.

Thank you, the last set of calls were 5 weeks ago. I got my FoI back this morning to say that there will be 5 intakes between November and March so they will be Nov/Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar. I would guess that December calls will go out w/c 12th October.

Random question- does anyone know what happens over Christmas in GV- do you have to do more time to cover the holidays or is it always 23 weeks? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tashbash

Random question- does anyone know what happens over Christmas in GV- do you have to do more time to cover the holidays or is it always 23 weeks? Thanks

Garnerville is 21 weeks now and no your holidays are already allocated and planned for so no extra time.

• Advertisement

Thats a good bit of positive news, looks like most of the remaining 18 campaign with be placed over the next few months to make way for the successful 2020 applicants. Fingers crossed we all get through the a/c with merit list numbers 🤞

Yes, people who pass the a/c are put on a list in merit order which is then passed to the psni who then progress you through the remaining stages. As stated previously, some people may progress before the results are released on the 04/12/2020. Just 12 weeks to wait now lol

12 weeks?! Lol wee buns... jk I’ve deffo crashed in confidence this week for some reason. My ac was in July! Feels like years ago. Patience is a virtue n all that

I think the majority of us feel the same including myself lol I can't see how anyone can feel it went great given the way the a/c is laid out. We don't know what they are scoring us on. Could be a million different things lol

I think the majority of us feel the same including myself lol I can't see how anyone can feel it went great given the way the a/c is laid out. We don't know what they are scoring us on. Could be a million different things lol

I deff didn’t come away feel confident! Fair play to those who did. Just filled with thoughts of what I should have said!! I’m sure I’m not the only one. Roll on dec

I left mine in March 2019 convinced that I had failed haha It is very difficult to know how well you did

• Advertisement

Wyl91 wrote: »
    I deff didn’t come away feel confident! Fair play to those who did. Just filled with thoughts of what I should have said!! I’m sure I’m not the only one. Roll on dec

I feel your pain lol, having so much time to think about it doesn't help, suppose we might all be pleasantly surprised come december time

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bafta12

Wyl91 wrote: »

I didn’t come away feeling confident either to be honest, and I’ve already passed it before in another campaign. But I still have no idea what I would have done or said differently.

Have spoken to a couple of my mates in the job and without telling them what exactly happened, explained the approach I took with some of the coaching from no tomatoes (if that’s what it’s called) I knew of, and they said they wouldn’t have done much different to what I did. So fingers crossed. The day results come out is a day everyone sits and hits refresh lol.

They come out dependant on scores - those who hit highest get emails first. Or that’s the way it was before anyway.

Hey bafta,

Do they all come out the same day though? I think ill get a bottle of whiskey at the ready to either celebrate passing or failing this stage hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SMS19

Offer accepted for 1810, feels good to be able to withdraw from 2002.

Best of luck everyone

Hey bafta,

Do they all come out the same day though? I think ill get a bottle of whiskey at the ready to either celebrate passing or failing this stage hahaha

Yes all the results come out the same day, even those that get fast tracked don't find out their score till results day. For 1810 the passes went out first with the fails after, when I got home from work and saw that my email came at 12.30 I had a good idea that I had passed before even opening it.

Yes all the results come out the same day, even those that get fast tracked don't find out their score till results day. For 1810 the passes went out first with the fails after, when I got home from work and saw that my email came at 12.30 I had a good idea that I had passed before even opening it.

How bad do u have to do to fail?lol

How bad do u have to do to fail?lol

For 1810 about 1500 attended with 1053 passing so be in the bottom 1/3 and you'll fail lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 rhino100

Just did my AC, I think it didn’t go so well :( , a few misunderstandings on my part ( worked a night shift last night like an idiot).

Think I messed up the reporting writing a bit but also but still gave it a good go. I don’t think I was able to get 100% of the details out of each role actor also! I got the feeling like I was asking plenty of questions , but just wasn’t asking “the right” questions to unlock the right answers if that makes sense.

Wish everyone here luck and hope by some miracle we all get through lol.

Anybody got any rough ideas where most new probationers are sent to?

• Advertisement

rhino100 wrote: »
    Just did my AC, I think it didn’t go so well :( , a few misunderstandings on my part ( worked a night shift last night like an idiot).

Think I messed up the reporting writing a bit but also but still gave it a good go. I don’t think I was able to get 100% of the details out of each role actor also! I got the feeling like I was asking plenty of questions , but just wasn’t asking “the right” questions to unlock the right answers if that makes sense.

Don't be too hard on yourself. How you conduct yourself is just as important as "unlocking" the answers. Very few people will get the whole picture from the role actors. Don't fret - plenty of people come out feeling wick but still pass.

Don't worry they aren't looking for police officers at AC, they are looking for people who can be trained to be police officers. I went through mine questioning what I was even doing there and I still passed, I'd say you will have done a lot better than I did.

penutzimes wrote: »
    Anybody got any rough ideas where most new probationers are sent to?

No one can answer this or give any details of locations.

Yeah don’t worry, the one I passed I messed up all of my report writing and still passed. It’s an overall mark so as long as you hit certain points youll be flying.

Just so hard to tell! I tried to show plenty of empathy but I think I made that my main concern :(

Don't worry they aren't looking for police officers at AC, they are looking for people who can be trained to be police officers. I went through mine questioning what I was even doing there and I still passed, I'd say you will have done a lot better than I did.

I don’t know about that lol, I definitely rambled on at times on things that may not have been so relevant or things that I’d already covered with the actor. :confused:

Just so hard to tell! I tried to show plenty of empathy but I think I made that my main concern :(

I feel the exact same mate, its hard to know. I felt like I only got a few bits of key info in each role play and felt like I should have gotten alot more. I empathised and done all I could do on the day. I feel like I missed loads and probably should have clarified certain things better but feel my nerves intervened a bit as I really wanted to do well and come across well.

I know how you feel- the wait for results is not easy and you start going over everything 100 times thinking of all the things you should've said. But remember last year only 2 people got above 80% and the pass mark was 50% so nobodys getting everything right and everyone misses stuff. Its not just based on asking all the right questions its how to ask them too, so showing empathy is probably a big part of the marks. Don't be worrying thinking youre the only one, youre not!

There is always going to be stuff you missed or you come out of thinking aww I should have done or said xwy etc but everybody is in the same boat and what is done is done we can't go back unfortunately. It would be interesting to know of anybody has put in a freedom of information for this campaign regarding numbers, fast track etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 pcjar

I've got my AC is coming up in a few weeks time. I was wondering if anyone would have advice on the initial brief?

How did you find the experience on the day?

I applied a few years ago and narrowly failed at this stage.

In hindsight after talking to friends who are now in the job and going to a coaching session a few things stand out to me which would have really cost me marks....

Basically I was the guy who acted like I was on a tv show lol.

Advertisement