Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭NornIron74

I'm thinking that it will likely open on the 1st February

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭penutzimes

Cheddar87 wrote: »
    It might be the case that they will advertise throughout January and then open the applications in February.

I would say so

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Recent successful applicant from the 1810 campaign. In GV atm.

Hit me with any questions.

No info from the IST or AC will be shared due the non disclosure agreement

NeeNaw21 wrote: »
    Recent successful applicant from the 1810 campaign. In GV atm.

Hit me with any questions.

No info from the IST or AC will be shared due the non disclosure agreement

Congratulations on getting in, im wondering during the medical and the lung function test is there a certain "target" you have to reach or is it just to see how well or not so well the lungs are working?

penutzimes wrote: »
    Congratulations on getting in, im wondering during the medical and the lung function test is there a certain "target" you have to reach or is it just to see how well or not so well the lungs are working?

I can't remember all i did was turn up, did the tests and got the medical pass email the next week. Sorry boss

• Advertisement

NeeNaw21 wrote: »
    I can't remember all i did was turn up, did the tests and got the medical pass email the next week. Sorry boss

aww thats no problem thanks, do you do driving training during your 23 weeks or is that for after training? Also do you spend any time in your future station/district during training?

aww thats no problem thanks, do you do driving training during your 23 weeks or is that for after training? Also do you spend any time in your future station/district during training?

No to driver training in GV and you just get to visit your district in week 1

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Pecks123

What's the hardest part of the process to gv did you find, and what advice would you give to first timers

Pecks123 wrote: »
    What's the hardest part of the process to gv did you find, and what advice would you give to first timers

Hardest part is the waiting.

Advice would be practice for IST as it's all about getting used to SJTs and VRTs and how to read them.

The the assessment centre just be yourself and keep it simple. Listen/read what they are asking you to do

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Pecks123

Is it everything you've expected and hoped for now your in gv training.

• Advertisement

Pecks123 wrote: »
    Is it everything you've expected and hoped for now your in gv training.

Oh yeah all i ever wanted and dreamed of

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Unperturbed Zero

Do many fail/ddrop out?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 BruceWayne1

No. PSNI make a big financial investment in each person appointed. They give all the support you need to help you succeed. There is occasionally someone who decides it’s really not right for them and leaves the course but by far the vast majority succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cheddar87

For anyone thinking of applying this campaign I see the website has been updated. Good luck to you all.

Applications going live in Feb with ISTs in March.

If 2002 goes by 1810 timeline first intake would be around January 2021

Finally some news now in for the long waiting game!

Is there a specific hair cut males need to comply with while in the college?

No. But if you have long hair it would need to be tied up so it fits inside your hat

• Registered Users Posts: 42 PSNIhopeful1

They've finally posted an exact date! 4th of February guys and gals. Prepare yourselves.

Took a look through the "Guidance for applicants" document and it appears to me that they want this application process to be quick.

According to the document, the IST is to be completed for end of March, ACs to begin in April and they aim to have the merit list passed to the PSNI by August. Meaning PCA and Medical probably starting in September.

I assume that fast tracked people could possibly even be starting Garnerville before the end of the year?

I'm sure there could be delays etc so these timings may not be completely accurate but it would be great if they were.

Good luck to everyone applying, I hope to see you all in Garnerville and on the streets soon!

Yea short back and sides. Not too short. Whatever you can stuff on top under the hat is yours

• Advertisement

They've finally posted an exact date! 4th of February guys and gals. Prepare yourselves.

Took a look through the "Guidance for applicants" document and it appears to me that they want this application process to be quick.

According to the document, the IST is to be completed for end of March, ACs to begin in April and they aim to have the merit list passed to the PSNI by August. Meaning PCA and Medical probably starting in September.

I assume that fast tracked people could possibly even be starting Garnerville before the end of the year?

I'm sure there could be delays etc so these timings may not be completely accurate but it would be great if they were.

Good luck to everyone applying, I hope to see you all in Garnerville and on the streets soon!

Finally we got something to be working towards still a long process but thankful we are moving now

Is there much "homework" to do while at college? Does it eat into your free time much?

Yes. The first 12 weeks are very hard. The reading and paperwork you have to do as well as keep up with the gym requirement is a heavy workload. After that it eases off quite a bit but be prepared to give every waking minute initially. But it is totally worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Eire_1600

Does anyone know of any websites to practice the aptitude tests that are specific to PSNI? I have purchased courses for garda recruitment but these tests are different. Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 StarWars66

Great news, looking forward to getting stuck in.

Bit nervous about the IST though, I never test well on aptitudes but feel I could really smash the rest of the process. Any tips/tricks that have worked in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Gonzo94

Hi

I always find IST type tests a bit of a hit and miss. That's just my opinion anyway. I practised loads of verbal reasoning and situational judgemental awareness tests for the 2017 campaign and failed. For the 2018 campaign IST i done very little and I passed it. Studying does help but i feel there is a bit of luck involved with those tests. Again that is just my opinion. A good website is www.practiceaptitudetests.com

With regards to the AC I think they are changing it in the 2020 campaign slightly? I'm not 100% sure of that so please double check. I remember reading something about them changing it to the mainland version of the AC. There are many books out there that based around the mainland AC. How2Become are good for these. I've used them when i applied for a mainland force a few years ago. If the AC is the same as the AC from previous years then there are courses you can do. I've never used these so cant comment on them.

Goodluck!

Gonzo94 wrote: »
    Hi

I always find IST type tests a bit of a hit and miss. That's just my opinion anyway. I practised loads of verbal reasoning and situational judgemental awareness tests for the 2017 campaign and failed. For the 2018 campaign IST i done very little and I passed it. Studying does help but i feel there is a bit of luck involved with those tests. Again that is just my opinion. A good website is www.practiceaptitudetests.com

With regards to the AC I think they are changing it in the 2020 campaign slightly? I'm not 100% sure of that so please double check. I remember reading something about them changing it to the mainland version of the AC. There are many books out there that based around the mainland AC. How2Become are good for these. I've used them when i applied for a mainland force a few years ago. If the AC is the same as the AC from previous years then there are courses you can do. I've never used these so cant comment on them.

Goodluck!

Avoid anything written by Richard McMunn. His how2become books are for lack of a better word absolute tripe.

They are full of inconsistencies and straight up false statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stevob7

Does anyone know if its likely to be deployed in the district of your choosing once training is complete?

Districts are allocated as per operational demand.

You will get a list of available districts in your induction pack.

You have up to 4 choices. Equally weighted.

• Advertisement

There are no guarantees that you’ll get any of your choices though.

Advertisement