Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

January 2020 Recruitment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paulo345

MrChew wrote: »
    FWIW, loads of people who fail the medical at first pass succeed on appeal. Obviously, it would be better to pass first time, but there's still lots of reasons to be hopeful even if you don't. When your medical comes around, make sure you have as much documentation as possible related to your injuries - that seems to go a long way.

Do they expect documentation for everything that’s down on your occupational health booklet?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

Paulo345 wrote: »
    Do they expect documentation for everything that’s down on your occupational health booklet?

It says in the invitation email that as far as possible you should bring supporting evidence for what you write in your MHQ. Like, the more supporting info you have, the less likely you'll fail and have to appeal.

Did my medical in the last few days, happy to answer any questions folks might have.

People had asked me previously about the eye test. I wear glasses so I had to do the following twice, once with my glasses off, and then again with them on:

A near sight test consisting of three paragraphs of small writing of varying sizes, the objective being to read the smallest your eyes could manage.

An extended Snellen chart, reading as far down as possible with each eye covered and then both eyes together. The chart used is a box on an axis, with different letters on each face and it is rotated after each reading so you aren't doing the same one over and over.

There was also a colour matching exercise to test colour blindness but I only had to do that once.

Interestingly, there was no lung function test on account of COVID but I was told that would need to be passed if I made it to garnerville.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CG97

Did my medical in the last few days, happy to answer any questions folks might have.

People had asked me previously about the eye test. I wear glasses so I had to do the following twice, once with my glasses off, and then again with them on:

A near sight test consisting of three paragraphs of small writing of varying sizes, the objective being to read the smallest your eyes could manage.

An extended Snellen chart, reading as far down as possible with each eye covered and then both eyes together. The chart used is a box on an axis, with different letters on each face and it is rotated after each reading so you aren't doing the same one over and over.

There was also a colour matching exercise to test colour blindness but I only had to do that once.

Interestingly, there was no lung function test on account of COVID but I was told that would need to be passed if I made it to garnerville.

Do you they tell you there and then if
    You pass or fail the medical, or do they send a email in due course?

CG97 wrote: »
    Do you they tell you there and then if
    You pass or fail the medical, or do they send a email in due course?

No, they kept schtum on every part. No idea if i've passed any of the parts at this point, other than a general feeling it went ok.

They say they will write to me but not sure if that means email or snail mail.

I'd add that the staff there are great - really put me at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 SausageDog33

Finally got a medical date, even though its 7 weeks away!
    Hopefully have the vetting back before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Wyl91

Anyone else from FT 1 waiting on vetting? Lol starting to worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CoAntrim24

Wyl91 wrote: »
    Anyone else from FT 1 waiting on vetting? Lol starting to worry!

Yea mate still waiting on vetting... Would love to hear back soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Wyl91

CoAntrim24 wrote: »
    Yea mate still waiting on vetting... Would love to hear back soon.

Would be such a relief to hear soon! Most people I know have got their vetting grand lol

Would things that happened when you where a baby need mentioned? Like kidney infections etc?

Would things that happened when you where a baby need mentioned? Like kidney infections etc?

Honestly I don't know 100% but I really wouldn't think so. It would be things that could feasibly affect your ability to do the job. I had a couple of things to put down on my form I wasn't sure about and talked it over with my GP. If that's an option open to you, you could do that.

Honestly I don't know 100% but I really wouldn't think so. It would be things that could feasibly affect your ability to do the job. I had a couple of things to put down on my form I wasn't sure about and talked it over with my GP. If that's an option open to you, you could do that.

I have a page long of notes from things that I had as a baby like ear infections... hopefully it won’t make me look bad as it makes up the bulk of my MHQ honestly.

I have a page long of notes from things that I had as a baby like ear infections... hopefully it won’t make me look bad as it makes up the bulk of my MHQ honestly.

Don't worry about 'looking bad'. Having information only helps you and it'll be fully trained medical professionals looking over your questionnaire and they'll quickly be able to decide if something is relevant to your application or not. Better to have goofy, irrelevant information that they can dismiss than them having unanswered questions.

It's a very professional operation they are running there, they aren't going to dismiss anyone without giving them proper consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭mariyapsni

Very helpful, MrChew, thank you. I am dreading the medical eye test. I didn't know that they require also to test your near sight. Ah well, we will see. Thanks again for sharing your experience. ;)

• Advertisement

mariyapsni wrote: »
    Very helpful, MrChew, thank you. I am dreading the medical eye test. I didn't know that they require also to test your near sight. Ah well, we will see. Thanks again for sharing your experience. ;)

No problem, happy to share my experience. I was worried about the eye test too, but it was grand, largely on account of the staff putting me at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234

Hope everyone keeping well. I have my PCA in near future. I have been getting things checked over for my medical should I pass PCA. I have had eye and hearing tests in the past few weeks at Specsavers. I just wanted to say it really gives piece of mind and I would recommend if you are concerned about your sight or hearing. I require glasses for distance although my eyes aren’t too bad so I don’t wear them much except for driving. My last eye test before my recent one was February of this year and I’m glad I got checked again as my vision has got slightly worse. I should meet the unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly ok and all being well with my glasses on meet the standard using corrective lenses. Training and dieting for me going well to get my BMI down. Over 2 stone off since applying with a bit to go and I might have gone a bit OTT but also bought a blood pressure monitor on eBay to keep an eye on that too. Hope everyone waiting on good news hears it soon.

Hope everyone keeping well. I have my PCA in near future. I have been getting things checked over for my medical should I pass PCA. I have had eye and hearing tests in the past few weeks at Specsavers. I just wanted to say it really gives piece of mind and I would recommend if you are concerned about your sight or hearing. I require glasses for distance although my eyes aren’t too bad so I don’t wear them much except for driving. My last eye test before my recent one was February of this year and I’m glad I got checked again as my vision has got slightly worse. I should meet the unaided acuity 6/36 binocularly ok and all being well with my glasses on meet the standard using corrective lenses. Training and dieting for me going well to get my BMI down. Over 2 stone off since applying with a bit to go and I might have gone a bit OTT but also bought a blood pressure monitor on eBay to keep an eye on that too. Hope everyone waiting on good news hears it soon.

Best of luck Columbo1234. Your motivation is inspirational. Same here. I am dreading my eye exam plus trying to get my weight a bit down and my fitness levels up :) You will be fine, best of luck with the PCA

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RustInPeace90

I personally think we should all be allowed a bye-ball on the old blood pressure because this process is enough to send it sky high!!

I personally think we should all be allowed a bye-ball on the old blood pressure because this process is enough to send it sky high!!

Totally agree. If I get to the medical I’m going to try arrange with my doctor to have an appointment available the following day should I require incase I need to have my blood pressure checked again. That plan might be easier said than done depending on how COVID is at the time.

• Advertisement

Totally agree. If I get to the medical I’m going to try arrange with my doctor to have an appointment available the following day should I require incase I need to have my blood pressure checked again. That plan might be easier said than done depending on how COVID is at the time.

The surgery where I live is starting to let people in again for non covid stuff I think, I noticed when I was picking up my medical health questionnaire, so it might not be a bad shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 PSNIhopeful1

Got my medical results back today, after failing the medical a few years back, I'm ecstatic to say that I've passed this time.

Hopefully be seeing some of you soon in Garnerville. Can't wait!

Got my medical results back today, after failing the medical a few years back, I'm ecstatic to say that I've passed this time.

Congrats and well done. The hard work pays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 PSNI2020

Congrats pal! How long did you have to wait on your results? Did they say when they’ll be in touch about Garnerville? I have my medical after Christmas, the final hurdle

Congrats chum! I bet its even sweeter given the history. I got my medical pass today and all. We could well be in the same intake.

Congrats chum! I bet its even sweeter given the history. I got my medical pass today and all. We could well be in the same intake.

Congrats MrChew. Great to hear people getting such positive news

Thank you, folks.

PSNI2020, it can take up to 10 working days for the results of your medical. I don't want to give away too much info in regards to dates as I want to be cautious, but it was well under 10 working days for me.

Also, MrChew, I hope so! See you soon.

Congratulations!

In terms of the medical, did you bring much in the way of supporting evidence to get your pass? Have mine coming up and struggling to find discharge letters from years ago etc

Again congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sievehead

Congratulations!

In terms of the medical, did you bring much in the way of supporting evidence to get your pass? Have mine coming up and struggling to find discharge letters from years ago etc

Again congrats!

Hello everyone hope you’re all well.
    GP’s may be able to help you out with copies of discharge letters Paulo345. Other option may be to contact medical records in the hospital(s). Just a thought if you haven’t already explored these avenues. All the very best in your upcoming medical and indeed to all in the recruitment process.

A very well done to both of you PSNIhopeful1 and MrChew! I can only wish you the best of luck with GV and to get a starting date sooner rather than later. Keep us in your prayers for our A/C results :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 CG97

Hey guys!

Just lurking through the beginning of the thread (things you do at midnight when you can’t sleep) lol!

Great to see some people who may have previously not been successful in the past now been fast tracked, wish you all the best for the future!

Now just to wait in the dreaded AC results myself. Not long to go now. It’ll fly by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Brodin2693

So with a 6 week lockdown on the cards what do you think the effect on results will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭walkman2302

Done my AC during the week. We were told that it would be 29th January providing there wasn’t another lockdown affecting further AC’s. So it’s really anyone’s guess. In all fairness Deloitte are trying their best to compete them all.

Yeah I think they’re doing a fantastic job given the circumstances! Just have to wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Si_zx10r

Is there anyone scheduled to do their a/c early January?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Mcfluffers

Hi everyone

Been a bit of a lurker on this site for a while but decided to actually post today!

Had my assessment centre this month and think it went fairly well, attended the no tomatoes training which played a huge part in preparing me for the assessment.

Been reading a lot about the eye test so booked in with my optician to see what my sight is like without my glasses. Thought there was no harm getting well prepared instead of leaving everything to the last minute.

I’ve really enjoyed reading all your posts these last few months to keep my spirits up with the constant rearrangement of my assessment centre!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Elc89

Hi, been watching this forum for a while and decided to post for some info to put my mind at ease a bit.

I have a couple of hurdles to get through providing I pass the AC (when we finally get our results).

Tattoos is one of them. I have a sleeve on each arm "angels n demons" theme on both arms. There is nothing offensive about them apart from a few dodgy lookin demons lol I was young dumb and wanted tattoos when I got them done.

Both my arms can be covered by long sleeve shirts with no tattoos showing.

Does anyone know if this would effect my chances? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SMS19

Elc89 wrote: »
    Hi, been watching this forum for a while and decided to post for some info to put my mind at ease a bit.

I have a couple of hurdles to get through providing I pass the AC (when we finally get our results).

Tattoos is one of them. I have a sleeve on each arm "angels n demons" theme on both arms. There is nothing offensive about them apart from a few dodgy lookin demons lol I was young dumb and wanted tattoos when I got them done.

Does anyone know if this would effect my chances? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

As long as there is nothing offensive then it won't effect your chances. There is a fair few of us in GV atm with sleeves and most of us wear short sleeve shirts. No rules about having to have them covered now.

Elc89 wrote: »

Welcome folks

I have copied and pasted below the info from join psni regarding Tattoos. I’m not an expert but from my reading you shouldn’t have any issues with what you have described. I think it would have to be something offensive and/or that couldn’t be covered by uniform to cause issues. Best of luck with the next stages.

“We recognise that having a tattoo does not necessarily prevent you from serving in or joining the Police Service of Northern Ireland. However, certain tattoos and their visibility may not be acceptable.
    All officers are required to adhere with the Corporate Uniform Standard. Therefore careful consideration will be given by the organisation to any tattoos on the head, face, neck and hands or tattoos which cannot be covered by uniform. This includes the size, nature and prominence of the tattoos in question.
    1. Tattoos will be unacceptable if they are contrary to any of the equality areas identified in Section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998 or are in contravention of the PSNI Good and Harmonious Working Environment.
    2. Whether visible or not, tattoos will be unacceptable where they could reasonably be interpreted as offensive to members of the public or colleagues due to their content or alignment with a particular group.
    3. The Police Service of Northern Ireland regularly engages with some of the most vulnerable members of society. Therefore, tattoos which conceal the identity of an officer to the extent where it would potentially inhibit their ability as a police officer to undertake their duties or which may make a member of the public feel uncomfortable, intimidated or threatened will be unacceptable.
    All applicants to the Police Service of Northern Ireland will be required to supply photographs of tattoos as a condition of the recruitment process. Tattoos must be described giving size, location and nature. A verifiable translation must accompany any tattoos containing non-English words, characters or representations.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Lesburney

Brodin2693 wrote: »
    Yeah I think they’re doing a fantastic job given the circumstances! Just have to wait and see

I'd disagree. I'd say they're actually doing a terrible job; it'll be almost (or longer with how things are going) a year since we've signed up for the vast majority of us to even find out if we passed or failed. There has been almost no communication from their side, and they waited until the last day to tell us we're not getting our already delayed results in December. They clearly knew days, even weeks before that, and could have been more prompt and straight up. I don't think I'm being unfairly critical or negative by saying this. Other forces have successfully moved their recruitment processes online, adapting with the current climate while Deloitte stubbornly put many of our lives on hold, leaving many people wondering if they got their dream job or if they ought to move on and focus on other things. I understand the PSNI's hands are somewhat tied due to being forced to outsource the first part of their recruitment process, but they should definitely hold Deloitte accountable for their shortcomings.

Other forces have managed it, the Armed forces have managed it, private business has managed it, why can't Deloitte? A year long wait to find out if we've even passed the assesment center is inexcusable, even during COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭walkman2302

Does anyone think there will be another fast track group now that we are heading into another lockdown to keep recruitment flowing?

I’d say there needs to be something, be that an issuing of some sort of raw results or another fast track

Has anyone had to provide additional information after their medical? I got an email sent this morning but they’ve added no attachment to the email or provided an address to send further additional information?

Just got results of my SMT back, all clear as expected. That means I've now passed all stages. Just waiting for a call and a start date.

Hopefully calls go out soon as I can't wait to get started. Seen someone say earlier they asked the trainers and they think it will be March before next intake. Praying it won't be that long but if it does, it does. As long as I know it's coming.

Buzzing!

Just got results of my SMT back, all clear as expected. That means I've now passed all stages. Just waiting for a call and a start date.

Hopefully calls go out soon as I can't wait to get started. Seen someone say earlier they asked the trainers and they think it will be March before next intake. Praying it won't be that long but if it does, it does. As long as I know it's coming.

Buzzing!

I think the late Feb/March intake will be the last of the 2018 recruits - I doubt we'll get the call til Feb/March at the earliest with a start in April, unless there are a whole heap from 2018 who don't take their place at GV.

Does anyone know if they let you know when you're officially appointable and, if so, do they let you know via email or postal letter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 CoAntrim24

Hey folks,

Did anyone get their vetting results back today?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Agliveo

Hey folks,

Still no vetting results for me mate, did you get yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SMS19

Buzzing!

There currently are only 3 intakes in Garnerville at the moment due to social distancing. Next intake due is end of February and calls have already gone out. The purples will leave the week after the February intake starts. Reds are due to finish up start of April so that would free up space for a late March intake.

I know a few from 1810 who are ML1000+ and are starting in February so I would guess that 1810 is pretty much finished now.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sharon1986

Hey folks,

No vetting back here yet either, did anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Boss20

Got my vetting back yesterday! Sent it 7 weeks ago, fitness test coming up soon! Fingers crossed the new restrictions don’t postpone anything

• Advertisement
Advertisement