Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 CLC93

MrChew wrote: »
    Congratulations! Are you appointable now, presuming your SMT comes back clear?

The staff there are lovely, really put my mind at ease.

Thanks Mr Chew :) It's a weight off, I was worried about my eyesight but turns out I'm not as bad as I think I am lol. No I'm not appointable yet, still waiting on vetting to clear. It's been away over 18 weeks now but it is what it is. Fingers crossed it gets moved along soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

CLC93 wrote: »
    I was worried about my eyesight but turns out I'm not as bad as I think I am lol.

Ha, I was the same. Not nearly as blind as I thought. Here's hoping your vetting clears soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭AlphaBravoOut

Hi everyone, posted a couple weeks back about my medical being rescheduled after being cancelled because of the restrictions coming into place. Happy to say I had it yesterday and just received a pass email. They were saying they're doing a good couple every day to get through them. Few delays on the day but I was in for just over 2 hours for anyone contemplating how long to get out of work for.

Staff were good craic and eased any nerves with a laugh here and there. The hair sample surprised me...he spun the chair for me to sit on and take my hair down, genuinely felt like he was going flat to the tin with them scissors on the back of my head lol! First haircut I've had in a while anyway lol.

Just sharing because I know what it's like updating these boards and hoping for any crumb of info. Hopefully others won't have too long to wait as things progress rightly :)

Congrats and thanks for the info..always good to hear about new experiences and updates. I’m sure you’ll get word from vetting soon, all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LC20

Hi everyone, posted a couple weeks back about my medical being rescheduled after being cancelled because of the restrictions coming into place. Happy to say I had it yesterday and just received a pass email. They were saying they're doing a good couple every day to get through them. Few delays on the day but I was in for just over 2 hours for anyone contemplating how long to get out of work for.

Staff were good craic and eased any nerves with a laugh here and there. The hair sample surprised me...he spun the chair for me to sit on and take my hair down, genuinely felt like he was going flat to the tin with them scissors on the back of my head lol! First haircut I've had in a while anyway lol.

Just sharing because I know what it's like updating these boards and hoping for any crumb of info. Hopefully others won't have too long to wait as things progress rightly :)

Congrats on your pass! Was your original medical date for January? I had one cancelled for the end of the month but have had no word of a reschedule since. Also did they email or call you? I had a call about my PCA after I had an email and I missed a call yesterday now I’m paranoid it was in relation to the rescheduled medical! But no email... so perhaps that’s a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 CLC93

LC20 wrote: »
    Congrats on your pass! Was your original medical date for January? I had one cancelled for the end of the month but have had no word of a reschedule since. Also did they email or call you? I had a call about my PCA after I had an email and I missed a call yesterday now I’m paranoid it was in relation to the rescheduled medical! But no email... so perhaps that’s a good thing.

Thanks :) It was originally for the very beginning of Jan but I ended up testing +ive for Covid so had to contact them and cancel. They sent me a rescheduled date fairly quick but it was right when the restrictions were announced so I got the cancellation for that one soon after. Then the new date came via email at the end of Jan and I had it yesterday. I haven't had any phone calls in the process yet, only emails.

As far as I've seen elsewhere, if they phone you and miss you they leave a VM. I may be wrong but I thought I read others before in previous intakes say that was the case. Just make sure your VM services are turned on. If they need to speak to you they'll get in touch with you one way or another :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 LC20

Thanks :) It was originally for the very beginning of Jan but I ended up testing +ive for Covid so had to contact them and cancel. They sent me a rescheduled date fairly quick but it was right when the restrictions were announced so I got the cancellation for that one soon after. Then the new date came via email at the end of Jan and I had it yesterday. I haven't had any phone calls in the process yet, only emails.

As far as I've seen elsewhere, if they phone you and miss you they leave a VM. I may be wrong but I thought I read others before in previous intakes say that was the case. Just make sure your VM services are turned on. If they need to speak to you they'll get in touch with you one way or another :)

Ah good! Mine was for the end of January so I imagine the reschedule will come along soon.
    Still praying for vetting 🙠think I check my email box 5730274 times a day at this point in the game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ASM1234

Another month of lockdown folks, looks like the wait for the merit list will be extended.

ASM1234 wrote: »
    Another month of lockdown folks, looks like the wait for the merit list will be extended.
    The never ending wait! I completely understand their hands are tied with certain aspects, such as remaining ACs to be completed, but surely they could press ahead and let those who had pca’s cancelled last month move onto medical and even complete the pca first week of GV or nearer to starting. It’s so frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JC12250

The never ending wait! I completely understand their hands are tied with certain aspects, such as remaining ACs to be completed, but surely they could press ahead and let those who had pca’s cancelled last month move onto medical and even complete the pca first week of GV or nearer to starting. It’s so frustrating

Or they could send vetting packs out to the folk that have passed the AC to get the ball rolling.

JC12250 wrote: »
    Or they could send vetting packs out to the folk that have passed the AC to get the ball rolling.
    Exactly mate and get the ball rolling for as many people as possible. Let you do your online learning too

• Advertisement

The thing is that their intakes are greatly reduced at the minute, both in size of groups and frequency. So letting people proceed with the next stages just moves the bottleneck somewhere else and since both the medical and vetting have shelf lives, there is a cost implication if people are sitting appointable for months and some of their passed stages begin expiring.

As long as COVID is with us, this whole process is hamstrung and is going to be significantly delayed.

It sucks but that's just the way it is.

The thing is that their intakes are greatly reduced at the minute, both in size of groups and frequency. So letting people proceed with the next stages just moves the bottleneck somewhere else and since both the medical and vetting have shelf lives, there is a cost implication if people are sitting appointable for months and some of their passed stages begin expiring.

As long as COVID is with us, this whole process is hamstrung and is going to be significantly delayed.

I totally understand and appreciate that but I still believe they can begin the vetting as for some people this can take over a year. This would mean some people will be waiting for well over two years.

I totally understand and appreciate that but I still believe they can begin the vetting as for some people this can take over a year. This would mean some people will be waiting for well over two years.

Oh for sure, you're not wrong and I feel your frustration. I suspect that might be what ends up happening, at least as far as vetting is concerned, because it's the one part of the PSNI managed stages that's reasonably impervious to COVID.

Meh, the whole thing sucks.

Oh for sure, you're not wrong and I feel your frustration. I suspect that might be what ends up happening, at least as far as vetting is concerned, because it's the one part of the PSNI managed stages that's reasonably impervious to COVID.

Meh, the whole thing sucks.

Completely but I suppose looking at the bigger picture it will be that bit sweeter getting in!

Completely but I suppose looking at the bigger picture it will be that bit sweeter getting in!

True that. Gonna police extra hard.

True - never even thought of it that way. It sucks like you said, but the hard work and long wait will eventually pay off lol! You wouldn’t have any idea how many are usually in each FT group? Trying to work out even a rough start date

True - never even thought of it that way. It sucks like you said, but the hard work and long wait will eventually pay off lol! You wouldn’t have any idea how many are usually in each FT group? Trying to work out even a rough start date

No idea mate, couldn't say with any accuracy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Brodin2693

Could be quite small like 50 per group, could be about 100! I know they keep saying it’s a very small amount of people, logically I’d assume it’s a potential squads worth each time, which normally is close to 50, reduced numbers may not need to continue towards the end of the year with the vaccine roll out!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 mahoney1

Just found this online. Someone of us must have put the questions through recently. Some interesting reading for you.
    Request 1 
    Recruitment statistics 2020. I am aware that not all of your assessment centres have taken place but 
    if possible could you please provide the following. The number of people who have attended an 
    assessment centre to date. 

Answer  
    1,850 candidates have attended an assessment centre to date. 

Request 2 
    The number of candidates still awaiting an assessment centre appointment. 

Answer  
    31 candidates are still to attend an assessment centre. 

Request 3 
    The number of people who have been successful at the assessment centre stage.  
    Answer 
    982 candidates have been successful at assessment centre to date. 
    Request 4 
    The number of people who have been unsuccessful at the assessment stage. 
    Answer  
    868 candidates have been unsuccessful at assessment centre to date. 
    Request 5 
    The number of candidates who have withdrawn their application or have not attended their 
    assessment centre. 
    Answer  
    669 have withdrawn their application or did not attend the assessment centre stage. 
    Request 6 
    How many candidates have already progressed to the PSNI managed stages from the 2020 
    recruitment campaign. 
    Answer  
    234 candidates are currently being progressed through the PSNI managed stages of the recruitment 
    process. 
    Request 7 
    If the information is available, when does the PSNI plan to begin to progress more candidates 
    through the PSNI manages stages. 
    Answer  
    PSNI plans to progress further high performing candidates mid-February 2021. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Brodin2693

Only 31 left to attend! A week would get that knocked out, 6 a day is reduced enough numbers I’d have thought, surely that can be risk assessed

• Advertisement

mahoney1 wrote: »
    Just found this online. Someone of us must have put the questions through recently. Some interesting reading ... 

That IS interesting.

Presumably at the point this FOI was answered there were only 2 FT groups since it refers to another cohort in mid-Feb, which means the FT groups must be pretty large indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234

mahoney1 wrote: »
    Just found this online. Someone of us must have put the questions through recently. Some interesting reading for you.
    Request 1 
    Recruitment statistics 2020. I am aware that not all of your assessment centres have taken place but 
    if possible could you please provide the following. The number of people who have attended an 
    assessment centre to date. 

Answer  
    1,850 candidates have attended an assessment centre to date. 

Request 2 
    The number of candidates still awaiting an assessment centre appointment. 

Answer  
    31 candidates are still to attend an assessment centre. 

Request 3 
    The number of people who have been successful at the assessment centre stage.  
    Answer 
    982 candidates have been successful at assessment centre to date. 
    Request 4 
    The number of people who have been unsuccessful at the assessment stage. 
    Answer  
    868 candidates have been unsuccessful at assessment centre to date. 
    Request 5 
    The number of candidates who have withdrawn their application or have not attended their 
    assessment centre. 
    Answer  
    669 have withdrawn their application or did not attend the assessment centre stage. 
    Request 6 
    How many candidates have already progressed to the PSNI managed stages from the 2020 
    recruitment campaign. 
    Answer  
    234 candidates are currently being progressed through the PSNI managed stages of the recruitment 
    process. 
    Request 7 
    If the information is available, when does the PSNI plan to begin to progress more candidates 
    through the PSNI manages stages. 
    Answer  
    PSNI plans to progress further high performing candidates mid-February 2021. 

Great info thanks for sharing

Great info! 31 is such a small number of candidates to get through the AC :(

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RoboCop123

Would youse say that 234 people passed to PSNI are the FT folks? They only took 100ish from 1810. Seems quite high

RoboCop123 wrote: »
    Would youse say that 234 people passed to PSNI are the FT folks? They only took 100ish from 1810. Seems quite high

Seems that way - not sure where else they could have come from!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ASM1234

Is 600 odd not turning up very high? I suppose corona and being rebooked a few times wouldn't help

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭mariyapsni

RoboCop123 wrote: »

The response to this FOI request was only issued on the 16th of February - i think that includes all 3 groups of FT because the people from FT group 3 received their FT email last week, on the 11th of Feb, didn't they? That would mean roughly 80 people per FT group?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 PSNIhopeful1

Just out of curiosity, has anyone got any plans on what they'd like to do after their probationary period?

Looking way into the future here but I'm just interested to see how others plan to spend their policing career assuming entry, passing GV and probation.

Personally, I would love to join intelligence. I think I would enjoy the challenge of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Newbieee

Sooner you’re out of LPT the better

Be under no illusions it’s an extremely stressful job at times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 AWD188

Just out of curiosity, has anyone got any plans on what they'd like to do after their probationary period?

Looking way into the future here but I'm just interested to see how others plan to spend their policing career assuming entry, passing GV and probation.

Personally, I would love to join intelligence. I think I would enjoy the challenge of it.

I think that would be incredibly interesting! Well I hope in future it’s somewhere you make it into!

Ideally for the future I’d have to say ARV or Dog unit, but I know both of these would be next level difficult to get into!

Advertisement