Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭North Coast John

MrChew wrote: »
    Everyone. In the CC briefing in Feb, they suggested 114 recruited this year.

114 recruited this year and then the rest have to wait or just wont be recruited full stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

114 recruited this year and then the rest have to wait or just wont be recruited full stop?

Unknown. Those were just projected numbers, could go up or down. From the sounds of the email, it would be 114 this year then the remainder in 22/23 Financial Year. But the soze of that remainder is still up in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭AlphaBravoOut

Got the email too. So frustrating..did Conor Murphy not ask departments back in January to submit new bids as a matter of urgency to claim a share of almost £300 million unspent Covid-19 funding? The money has to be there somewhere, or it hopefully will be at some point! Probably a stupid question, but does anyone know if people in FT1 have a lower ML number than FT2 etc?

Got the email too. So frustrating..did Conor Murphy not ask departments back in January to submit new bids as a matter of urgency to claim a share of almost £300 million unspent Covid-19 funding? The money has to be there somewhere, or it hopefully will be at some point! Probably a stupid question, but does anyone know if people in FT1 have a lower ML number than FT2 etc?

I'm not sure that Covid funding could be diverted to DoJ as it was earmarked for projects that related to Covid relief which police recruitment doesn't. It's not clear if that was the case, just the impression I got.

ML and FT group aren't in any order eg the top 20 candidates will come from all 3 FT groups.

When you folks have emailed the PSNI recruitment team, how long does it normally take for them to get back to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭AlphaBravoOut

MrChew wrote: »
    I'm not sure that Covid funding could be diverted to DoJ as it was earmarked for projects that related to Covid relief which police recruitment doesn't. It's not clear if that was the case, just the impression I got.

ML and FT group aren't in any order eg the top 20 candidates will come from all 3 FT groups.

Thanks bud..I was thinking along the same lines regarding the Covid funding, but had hoped it could be diverted. Wishful thinking lol!
    Good to know that about FT and ML, I was just curious..

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JC12250

I expect a dear John letter now for non FTs tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paulo345

Have my medical coming up soon, is there even any point in going if they are going to cut most jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RoboCop123

What I got from the email is they will be making the most of a bad situation and worst case scenario for some FTers is a start date in the next financial year 22/23 as stated in the email..

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gda88

JC12250 wrote: »
    I expect a dear John letter now for non FTs tbh

Why though? Surely the don’t want to waste the money that’s been put into this recruitment drive. Will they not carry out the remaining 30 assessments once COVID restrictions are eased and then release a merit list. Then slowly go through that merit list once funding becomes available. That’s my take on it anyway.

• Advertisement

Gda88 wrote: »
    Why though? Surely the don’t want to waste the money that’s been put into this recruitment drive. Will they not carry out the remaining 30 assessments once COVID restrictions are eased and then release a merit list. Then slowly go through that merit list once funding becomes available. That’s my take on it anyway.

Just can’t see them keeping a list for that length of time if they are perhaps only taking half of the FT this FY and half in 22/23.

Gda88 wrote: »

If it comes to dear john letters it won't be until they've filled all available slots. It's not an impossible outcome, I just don't think it will be soon.

My question with the ACs is that if they have to wait until restrictions are eased, that is feasibly going to start to cause problems with the intake schedule. Are they going to allow 30 odd ACs to put training on hold, or come up with a means of progression?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ASM1234

Putting it bluntly, is there still hope for non ft? How should we see this email?

ASM1234 wrote: »
    Putting it bluntly, is there still hope for non ft? How should we see this email?

Yes, there is still hope for non-FT. There are additional funding streams, monitoring rounds throughout the year that free up money, and we're on annual budgets which means, theoretically, it could be a different picture next FY.

I think the purpose of the email was to make FT candidates aware that, as of right now, things might take longer than they usually would and not much else. And there is still a somewhat heavy emphasis on 'might'.

Speaking to a person who applied in 2018, they are only going into GV next month. She was not FT. Like you said it could just mean only a certain amount will go to GV this year.

One thing is for sure - Deloitte’s communication with us has been nothing other than utterly poor. If it wasn’t for FOI & us following PB meetings, we wouldn’t even know how many were left to do their ACs.

I spoke with a member of the recruitment team over the phone there. The lady I spoke to was very pleasant and tried to give me as much information as possible- she seemed to empathize with our frustrations. Unfortunately, there is not a lot they can tell us right now. She explained they hoped to have the ML published before the Summer, but the situation at present is very fluid and there is a lot at play, meaning they can't give us hard information for fear of just disappointing us.

It is very likely that the FT candidates for this recruitment drive will be in GV at some point, but when exactly is anyone's guess right now- I can't speak for the folks that weren't FT'd sadly.

I'm going to put it to the back of my mind for the time being and try to focus on other things- perhaps I'll go surfing or maybe I'll bake a pie? Perhaps both (but not at the same time)...

I spoke with a member of the recruitment team over the phone there. The lady I spoke to was very pleasant and tried to give me as much information as possible- she seemed to empathize with our frustrations. Unfortunately, there is not a lot they can tell us right now. She explained they hoped to have the ML published before the Summer, but the situation at present is very fluid and there is a lot at play, meaning they can't give us hard information for fear of just disappointing us.

It is very likely that the FT candidates for this recruitment drive will be in GV at some point, but when exactly is anyone's guess right now- I can't speak for the folks that weren't FT'd sadly.

I'm going to put it to the back of my mind for the time being and try to focus on other things- perhaps I'll go surfing or maybe I'll bake a pie? Perhaps both (but not at the same time)...

Thanks for posting that, North Coast John.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭walkman2302

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

Not a problem Mr Chew. If anyone has any more information, please share. We're all in this together. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Gda88

Not really giving the “non-fast trackers” much hope then.

Although it's not the news we are looking for at the moment there's still hope I suppose, thanks to Mr Chew and others for being so helpful during these past few months without yous I wouldn't have known what was going on. I'll not give up until I get that dear John letter:)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Paulo345

Say for instance someone was higher in the merit list; but had their medical, vetting etc completed before someone that was lower in the merit list had theirs, would that person then jump the que?

Paulo345 wrote: »
    Say for instance someone was higher in the merit list; but had their medical, vetting etc completed before someone that was lower in the merit list had theirs, would that person then jump the que?

Based on other posts on this board, yes. If you are appointable, you can jump the queue. In other campaigns, vetting played a big part in when someone got the call because for some it took ages. Obvs things could well be different this time, due to the fact that Covid delays may well allow more people's vetting to be completed than usual.

Had a good chat with a fella there who served his time with the PSNI and who obviously still has a lot of friends and colleagues in the force. He made some very good points;-

The email sent out today will be putting pressure on the government to find funding. Our police force is essential, especially given our history of conflict so this recruitment drive is still extremely important.

Also, because of Covid, members of the force have retired this past year and I'm sure many others are in the process or considering retiring / leaving, so they'll need to make the numbers up!

Don't lose hope guys, a lot can happen in the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FairCop

Not a problem Mr Chew. If anyone has any more information, please share. We're all in this together. :)

I vote for apple pie!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CMAG90

Fitness test at the end of the month and the nerves are kicking in. Has anyone completed this and if so, what time did you achieve and what training were you doing prior... im relatively fit for short periods but long distance running isnt my forté and with hearing stories that you should be able to run 5k or you wont pass, have me worried. TIA...

CMAG90 wrote: »
    Fitness test at the end of the month and the nerves are kicking in. Has anyone completed this and if so, what time did you achieve and what training were you doing prior... im relatively fit for short periods but long distance running isnt my forté and with hearing stories that you should be able to run 5k or you wont pass, have me worried. TIA...

Anaerobic exercise and high intensity workouts are your friend, probably moreso than long distance running, as the PCA is short and intense. It's also attitudinal - get used to pushing yourself hard for four and a half minutes and then give it dixie on the day and you should be grand.

My routine leading up to my PCA was a combination of 5k runs and a half-hour of HIIT, 3/4 times a week. Running is my default form of exercise but I felt it was the HIIT which gave me the best prep for the PCA - the stop/start nature of it, and pushing through when totally exhausted matches the flow of the PCA.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭mariyapsni

CMAG90 wrote: »

Don't you worry! The length of the obstacle course is just short of 4 mins. You don't run 5 K for 4 mins, but on average for 30 minutes, therefore, with all due respect to those who think that your endurance should last for 5 K in order to pass the PCA are not correct. All you need to do is to be able to run intensively for 1K combined with some squats, jumps, weights pulling and a few push-ups or lounges. This combination of intense activities should be a sufficient simulation of the obstacle course. Try HIIT training. Now, speaking of the training in GV, for there you need to gear up your endurance levels indeed and hence 5 k would be a fair length of endurance that you need to possess for an average day-to-day training. Humble opinion of a physio :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 CMAG90

mariyapsni wrote: »
    Don't you worry! The length of the obstacle course is just short of 4 mins. You don't run 5 K for 4 mins, but on average for 30 minutes, therefore, with all due respect to those who think that your endurance should last for 5 K in order to pass the PCA are not correct. All you need to do is to be able to run intensively for 1K combined with some squats, jumps, weights pulling and a few push-ups or lounges. This combination of intense activities should be a sufficient simulation of the obstacle course. Try HIIT training. Now, speaking of the training in GV, for there you need to gear up your endurance levels indeed and hence 5 k would be a fair length of endurance that you need to possess for an average day-to-day training. Humble opinion of a physio :p

Thanks for this... im running 2miles in around 25 mins which isnt great i know, i just have no interest in running for long periods... ill try the HIIT training each night for the next 2 weeks and hopefully it sees me through... i know once i hit GV i need to step it up but ill have time for that when there... im working 9-5 atm, have 2 kids and a house to run so time isnt my best friend... not making excuses lol just find it difficult to balance .. so when in GV (id have to live in due to distance) i plan on dedicating myself to fitness and self improvement during that time... looking forward to it..... and not being negative here... but whats the proccess if it didnt go well? Time frame to repeat? Support in the interim? Really appreciate this ....

Advertisement