Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭The Rookie

Folks a question I meant to ask already and completely forgot (albeit because it’s probably a daft one):

Starting GV, what kind of schoolbag or other receptacle would you recommend/be allowed to have for lugging files/books etc around the campus? It’ll probably have to be black with little branding on it but I was just wondering do they have a policy on the subject.

Cheers in advance.

Hi, you wont need a school bag to carry stuff around campus..just handy to have one if your taking stuff home to study.. generally only have a file block to carry plus the books you are given. Any other questions fire ahead :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭AlphaBravoOut

I am at the same stage as you. FT2 and medical passed and just waiting on SMT results. Hopefully in the next week and abit we will hear some news.
    Great to hear folk getting calls for June intake
    Well done passing your medical mate..your almost there now :)

Who would i email about a change of address?

If you have any emails from police recruitment send it to that address.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 johnboy76

I was wondering, they had to take hair samples from my chest as there wasn’t enough hair on my head (lol), does anyone know roughly how long it takes to hear back on the results?

Many thanks

This was pre-covid, but for me it was 6 days for medical results and then another 6 days for SMT, so 12 days total.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 RustInPeace90

Hi, you wont need a school bag to carry stuff around campus..just handy to have one if your taking stuff home to study.. generally only have a file block to carry plus the books you are given. Any other questions fire ahead :-)

Stupid things keep popping into my head, like am I allowed a pencil case, what kind of bag do I carry PE kit in haha just looking forward to getting stuck into my studies now, not too long to go!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 ACP1

Hi longterm lurker, any ft1 waiting on vetting clearing?

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

Stupid things keep popping into my head, like am I allowed a pencil case, what kind of bag do I carry PE kit in haha just looking forward to getting stuck into my studies now, not too long to go!!

Which intake are you going to be in?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CMAG90

Congrats all due for next intake ... currently FT2 with medical very soon... just wondering... im over 80 miles away from GV so assume ill be a live in student... can anyone advise me if i have to apply for accommodation, if its still running like this due to covid and what the rules are in terms of hours to be back at and weekend closures??? Thanks in advance

CMAG90 wrote: »
    Congrats all due for next intake ... currently FT2 with medical very soon... just wondering... im over 80 miles away from GV so assume ill be a live in student... can anyone advise me if i have to apply for accommodation, if its still running like this due to covid and what the rules are in terms of hours to be back at and weekend closures??? Thanks in advance

You won't have any issues getting it. Yes you apply for accommodation, it's a 1 page form were you say why you need it. You will be living in Mon to Fri but you can apply to stay over the weekend but I think that's more for people from overseas that have nowhere else to live. For hours you have to be back for half 11 and for the mornings you can't be in before 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 CMAG90

johnboy76 wrote: »
    You won't have any issues getting it. Yes you apply for accommodation, it's a 1 page form were you say why you need it. You will be living in Mon to Fri but you can apply to stay over the weekend but I think that's more for people from overseas that have nowhere else to live. For hours you have to be back for half 11 and for the mornings you can't be in before 6.

Thanks so much for this... much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 LC20

ACP1 wrote: »
    Yes...feel like I’ve waited about 35 years!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 CLC93

ACP1 wrote: »

Yes FT1 here and still waiting on vetting too. It’s nearing the 7 month mark now but not complaining...more time to train and prepare for GV should everything clear ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DDGS7

CLC93 wrote: »
    Yes FT1 here and still waiting on vetting too. It’s nearing the 7 month mark now but not complaining...more time to train and prepare for GV should everything clear ok :)

Surely vetting shouldn't take this long for anyone, regardless of your past and whatever else it shouldn't take more than a few weeks. It shows how badly the whole process has been handled.

DDGS7 wrote: »
    Surely vetting shouldn't take this long for anyone, regardless of your past and whatever else it shouldn't take more than a few weeks. It shows how badly the whole process has been handled.

Not really. Vetting takes as long as it takes, twas always thus.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 CLC93

DDGS7 wrote: »

I’ve seen previous threads on here with vetting taking 10 months and more. I can’t comment for what exactly they’re checking etc but it’s the nature of the beast, an entirely individual process for everyone. Not that I’m enjoying the waiting but hey ho, it is what it is. The only problem is I’m jumping at every email lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DDGS7

CLC93 wrote: »
    I’ve seen previous threads on here with vetting taking 10 months and more. I can’t comment for what exactly they’re checking etc but it’s the nature of the beast, an entirely individual process for everyone. Not that I’m enjoying the waiting but hey ho, it is what it is. The only problem is I’m jumping at every email lol.

I know the feeling, anytime I get a ping I can't get my phone quick enough to check if I have received a good news email. Hopefully I won't be hitting the 10 month mark

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234

Just had a quick listen to the start of today’s policing board meeting. The CC has confirmed there will be almost 500 officers recruited in this financial year.

https://youtu.be/MxtrB0aFAIQ

Good news for those wanting to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Andimaul

Vetting cleared today. Very happy. FT2 just waiting to get my rescheduled PCA appointment and then do medical and SMT. Do they do medical and SMT together?

Andimaul wrote: »
    Vetting cleared today. Very happy. FT2 just waiting to get my rescheduled PCA appointment and then do medical and SMT. Do they do medical and SMT together?

Yep, same day, same place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JC12250

not long to go...not that I’m counting or anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭mariyapsni

Just had a quick listen to the start of today’s policing board meeting. The CC has confirmed there will be almost 500 officers recruited in this financial year.

https://youtu.be/MxtrB0aFAIQ

Hi. I heard that intro info as well. Below is also the information about the recruitment for 2021/22 from the latest report by the CC to the PB - only 100 additional officers for 21/22 - in a new recruitment campaign or from ours 2002?

"The majority of this funding (£9.8m) will enable the Police Service to retain headcount at 7,000 police officers and 2,580 police staff, rather than the necessary reduction to 6,700 police officers in line with the draft budget. The residual £2.5m will fund the recruitment of a further 100 police officers during 2021/22, taking total headcount to 7,100 by March 2022. This is a welcome step closer to the commitment of 7,500 in the New Decade New Approach document."

Hopefully these 100 officers will be additional to the 500 officers from our campaign mentioned by the CC yesterday. Any thoughts on how to interpret this? At least no cuts to PCs numbers will be made for now and 300 jobs saved. Overall good news i think. Good luck all with the ML coming out on or before May the 18th xx :P

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭North Coast John

Does anyone know how it works with district or station allocation when training ends? Do you get a choice or preference?

Does anyone know how it works with district or station allocation when training ends? Do you get a choice or preference?

From talking to someone that is only out of GV they said that they requested a station and got it, doesn't necessarily mean that you will get your choice though. You'll get your district allocation at induction and find out what station you are going to late on in the course, around week 19 I believe.

You get your district allocation at the induction day? How does that work I wonder... Is it based on where you currently live?

Like if I'm from the North Coast will be I be allocated Newry or somewhere on the other side of the country? Or am I more likely to get somewhere like Ballymena or Foyle where I can drive to?

You get your district allocation at the induction day? How does that work I wonder... Is it based on where you currently live?

Like if I'm from the North Coast will be I be allocated Newry or somewhere on the other side of the country? Or am I more likely to get somewhere like Ballymena or Foyle where I can drive to?

After your call you get a pack in the post that includes a district choice form. You can choose up to 4 districts that you'd like from the ones available, they may give you one of your choices or you could even get another one depending on where they need people.

You get 4 picks but doesnt mean you will get any of them. I know quite a few people didnt get the district they wanted and got places a good bit from home.

You get 4 picks but doesnt mean you will get any of them. I know quite a few people didnt get the district they wanted and got places a good bit from home.

How far is a good bit from home? I'm wondering what the craic is because my spouse has a job locally and if we had to relocate it might affect her job. Even if I had to drive an hour or so to and from work I wouldn't mind. Just trying to gauge how far away they might post me if I dont get my selected districts.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭JC12250

How far is a good bit from home? I'm wondering what the craic is because my spouse has a job locally and if we had to relocate it will affect her career.

I know someone who lived in North Down and got posted up the North Coast. I suppose that’s the nature of the beast unfortunately.

• Advertisement

JC12250 wrote: »
    I know someone who lived in North Down and got posted up the North Coast. I suppose that’s the nature of the beast unfortunately.

Well I suppose I just have to wait and see. Could get lucky and get one of the districts I've picked out.

Are certain districts in higher demand I wonder?

Unfortunately my wife has a job she really loves up here and we are very settled in our area. Close to our families and friends etc with strong ties to the surrounding community. But as you say nature of the beast.

Advertisement