Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 2020 Recruitment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ASM1234

MrChew wrote: »
    They just arrive. As a rule, you won't get many emails from recruitment - they'll get in touch with appointments and results only.

Thanks, do you think they will send them out first? Or wait until we get our ML position

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CG1324

DDGS7 wrote: »
    Anyone able to shed any light on how the allocation of medical dates works?
    Folk who passed the PCA the same day as me have all received a date but nothing for myself...

When did you pass your PCA? I'm still waiting for my medical date

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew

ASM1234 wrote: »
    Thanks, do you think they will send them out first? Or wait until we get our ML position

Probably ML, but couldn't be 100% on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DDGS7

CG1324 wrote: »
    I passed mine the same day too. So guess we just keep waiting

Yes, we wait and wait then wait some more. Flavour of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Irishman84!

I have gone through this process with a mainland force before. My vetting previously took 11 months to complete and even after I was appointabke it was a further 15 months before I was given a start date. By that time I decided to move home so didn’t take it but just to let you know that there could still be a long wait ahead of us I’m afraid. Although it would be nice to get the ML to see where we are at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭AlphaBravoOut

I have gone through this process with a mainland force before. My vetting previously took 11 months to complete and even after I was appointabke it was a further 15 months before I was given a start date. By that time I decided to move home so didn’t take it but just to let you know that there could still be a long wait ahead of us I’m afraid. Although it would be nice to get the ML to see where we are at
    Good for some people on here to read that, as they only seem happy if they are moaning about something, particularly waiting! We have all waited (granted some more than others) and it’s not unique to this process, or particular recruitment!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234

Out of interest does anyone know historically in previous campaigns how the merit list is emailed out. Do they send out at mass so everyone finds out their individual number or is it sent in tranches over a period of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 johnboy76

Out of interest does anyone know historically in previous campaigns how the merit list is emailed out. Do they send out at mass so everyone finds out their individual number or is it sent in tranches over a period of time?

Just a mass email that says your merit position is xx of xx.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PSNIapplicant

Hey! Long time follower of the forum! Just saw that vetting forms are posted to your address.. I moved home during Covid and was just wondering if there’s any way of checking what address you gave on the application form? Want to make sure it wasn’t my old address!

Also, just to put into perspective - I am in the Garda recruitment in the Republic at the moment (at around the same stage in both recruitments) but applied for an Garda Síochána in April 2019 (as opposed to Feb 2020 with the PSNI) so if any of you are feeling disheartened/impatient this might be reassuring for you

Hey! Long time follower of the forum! Just saw that vetting forms are posted to your address.. I moved home during Covid and was just wondering if there’s any way of checking what address you gave on the application form? Want to make sure it wasn’t my old address!

Drop recruitment an email with your UID, an explanation of the issue, and the address that the forms should be posted to and ask them to confirm that they have the same address on file.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 PSNIapplicant

MrChew wrote: »
    Drop recruitment an email with your UID, an explanation of the issue, and the address that the forms should be posted to and ask them to confirm that they have the same address on file.

Thank you so much - appreciate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 deebizzle13

This is going to sound like a silly question but were we asked for our address when we applied for the post? It's been over a year since I done it, I literally can't remember haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DDGS7

This is going to sound like a silly question but were we asked for our address when we applied for the post? It's been over a year since I done it, I literally can't remember haha.

Yes your address was asked for in the initial application. I changed my address at the end of last year and let the police know when I got word of fast tracking and my vetting forms arrived 4 days later so it's best to let them know ASAP before some randomer has you vetting forms coming through their front door

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭NeeNaw21

Helmsman22 wrote: »
    The results finally came, I got 67%, but unfortunately it's too little too late now since I have a start date with a mainland force next month (For which I applied for months after applying for the PSNI). Through this process I've felt like I am in no way valued as a candidate with the complete lack of emails from the recruitment team or rough time-frames for how long this process takes. It's a real shame because I wanted nothing more than to have the chance to give back to my community in this part of the world I've grown so fond of. I was willing to wait longer than for any other job, but there is a limit, and I've reached it. I wish all you guys the best of luck with the rest of the process, I hope things speed up now for you and you are treated better than what we got from Deloitte. If there's anything I can take away from this experience is how not to run a recruitment campaign, maybe some day years and years into my career that might come in handy, who knows?

Best of luck guys.

Yeah you're just a number. Get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭mariyapsni

NeeNaw21 wrote: »

Hi NeeNaw21, i don't think that an acting PC (i think u mentioned u got in GV a year after applying in 2018) should have such a degrading attitude (in my humble opinion) towards others who are going through the same difficult application process that you have also been a part of. What's even more, our campaign is even harder than what you went through with Covid and the prolonged wait, which is understandable. Please, don't call people/candidates "just a number" as each one of us has their own story and motivation to apply for this particular job. I hope you don't treat the people you police as "just a number". Sorry for the rant. :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

NeeNaw21 wrote: »
    Mod: Don’t do that in here. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Newbieee

Tbf though there are still applicants waiting from 2018 to get in.

The normal waiting time from initial application to GV is just short of 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 33 CLC93

Small update for anyone still waiting on vetting to pass, I had a recent interview with the vetting unit and I asked when I'd roughly find out the outcome...they said the vetting panel will next be available in about 4ish weeks time. From what I understand, the panel are responsible for reviewing and subsequently passing/failing your vetting, so it might give an indication to anyone still waiting as to when their stuff will next be looked at :)

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Mcfluffers

CLC93 wrote: »
    Small update for anyone still waiting on vetting to pass, I had a recent interview with the vetting unit and I asked when I'd roughly find out the outcome...they said the vetting panel will next be available in about 4ish weeks time. From what I understand, the panel are responsible for reviewing and subsequently passing/failing your vetting, so it might give an indication to anyone still waiting as to when their stuff will next be looked at :)

Aw that’s great! I’ve been waiting since February for my vetting and have my medical booked within the next month so that might work out well for me!

Hope your interview went well!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234

Update on merit list positions. Recruitment has informed me this will hopefully be issued next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 CLC93

Mcfluffers wrote: »
    Aw that’s great! I’ve been waiting since February for my vetting and have my medical booked within the next month so that might work out well for me!

Fingers crossed you get sorted McFluffers.

I hope it went well too haha it's in the hands of the vetting gods now!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭walkman2302

Mcfluffers wrote: »

We are in the same position, hopefully the stars align for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Sky56

Update on merit list positions. Recruitment has informed me this will hopefully be issued next week.

Heres hoping it will be the start of the week *fingers crossed*

Would anyone have any idea on a potential GV dye if your near bottom of the merit list. Tough question but if anyone has any estimates?

UNI12345 wrote: »
    Would anyone have any idea on a potential GV dye if your near bottom of the merit list. Tough question but if anyone has any estimates?

Personally, I'm not sure it's possible to make a meaningful estimate in the current circumstances. COVID measures and the potential for tightening or loosening restrictions, dropouts, PCA repeats, medical appeals, and vetting can all disrupt who gets called off of the merit list and when, and that effect is likely more pronounced the further down the ML you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LC20

CLC93 wrote: »

Thanks so much for this update I appreciate it and best of luck for the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭NeeNaw21

mariyapsni wrote: »
    Hi NeeNaw21, i don't think that an acting PC (i think u mentioned u got in GV a year after applying in 2018) should have such a degrading attitude (in my humble opinion) towards others who are going through the same difficult application process that you have also been a part of. What's even more, our campaign is even harder than what you went through with Covid and the prolonged wait, which is understandable. Please, don't call people/candidates "just a number" as each one of us has their own story and motivation to apply for this particular job. I hope you don't treat the people you police as "just a number". Sorry for the rant. :cool:

Took me 6 years and 5 campaigns.

Deloitte did the best they could with a horrible hand being dealt to them.

The recruitment process, up to this point, has nothing to do with the PSNI.

None of us are special.

We all were just a number.

It's a fact of life when applying for a job everyone and their mum wants.

I have friends that have been waiting far longer to get in than your guys had and not one of them moaned.

Gripe away but that post just oozed with self entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Newbieee

UNI12345 wrote: »

From previous campaigns from initial application to GV start date FT were within the year, top third outside FT was about a year and a half, middle tier about 2 years and 650/700/800+ plus on merit list 2 1/2 years

Again there’s so many things that can affect this though. Vetting fro some people takes 3 months, some can take 9 months

However this was with no covid and a new squad every month or two

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Big_A

“Patience is not the ability to wait, but the ability to keep a good attitude while waiting.”

Good character building for the job. Cool, calm and collective. When we get in, it will be a distant memory

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Big_A wrote: »
    “Patience is not the ability to wait, but the ability to keep a good attitude while waiting.”

Good character building for the job. Cool, calm and collective. When we get in, it will be a distant memory
    But should it be a distant memory? To me, that’s a bit like ignoring where the process fails candidates. There’s room for a lot of improvement with meaningful communication in particular, and I remain optimistic that this will be addressed.

Advertisement