Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job isn't working out. Looking for some advice about options

Options
  • 01-09-2019 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I'm 2 months into an 18 month management position on a maternity contract that I really wish I hadn't taken.

The systems and procedures are extremely manual, outdated and paper intensive that I'm struggling to keep up with the workload. My colleagues are up to 25 years with the company and perform the job the way the industry did it 25 years ago.

I'm coming from companies where it's all about automation and process improvement. Tasks that would take me 60 minutes elsewhere are taking up to a day due to the unnecessary paperwork and peer review.

A few weeks ago my manager sent a passive aggressive email to the entire team that was clearly directed at me instructing us not to change anything as the procedures are tried and tested and are as efficient as they can be.

I had a two month employment review recently, and I was rated mostly 2's out 5 in all 15 categories. I admit I should be doing better but I felt it was quite harsh. The job has me questioning my abilities and is really affecting my sleep.

On top of this my manager is currently off on stress leave. I'm not sure if she'll be coming back to work so I'll be expected to take over her workload approaching the busiest period of the year.

The job clearly isn't for me but I really don't know what to do. If I leave so soon I feel like I'll be leaving the team at the worst possible time.
    How do I explain it to potential employers that I'm looking to leave this role so soon without sounding incompetent.

I'm also conscious that this is my 5th job in the last 6 years. Two of the jobs were fixed term contracts so I don't want to come across as a job hopper either.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

In a very similar position. Its very hard to adjust to a culture and company that does not fit our own outlook and values.

Start looking for a new role now, don't worry about the "Job hoping" its 2019 in an economy that has practically 0% unemployment. Its genuinely not an issue.

In the mean time go to work, do your best. Start and leave on time.

At the end of the day go home and stand in the shower and ground yourself. Let the water wash the stress of the day away and leave all of that in the shower.

By the sounds of it you have been successful in other positions. Therefore don't let one work environment or one persons opinion define your worth.

The fact the company are not will to change and improve is in itself enough for you to take a look at the bigger picture and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Leave .

Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Surely management must realise that they are losing productivity/money by using slow outdated methods? Is there a possibility that existing staff are so engrained in current method that they would not have the wherewithal to adapt to new procedures?

Sounds like you need to move on, or, you could draw up a plan on how to modernise and the benefits of doing so. Explain to your boss that you will stay and help the transition, with a large pay increase of course, or he can search for another person who does things with pencil and paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Just leave.

If you are asked by future employers why you left then be honest. They are using outdated procedures and you were prevented from improving things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

The systems and procedures are extremely manual, outdated and paper intensive that I'm struggling to keep up with the workload. My colleagues are up to 25 years with the company and perform the job the way the industry did it 25 years ago.

I'm coming from companies where it's all about automation and process improvement. Tasks that would take me 60 minutes elsewhere are taking up to a day due to the unnecessary paperwork and peer review.

A few weeks ago my manager sent a passive aggressive email to the entire team that was clearly directed at me instructing us not to change anything as the procedures are tried and tested and are as efficient as they can be.

Your manager is 100% correct, unfortunately for you.

The email was appropriate. It was to remind all staff that the existing processes are there for a reason and are to be followed.

I've worked in places where IT systems were hobbled together by staff of various IT capabilites and the systems without fail fall apart over time. Internal controls are usually the first thing to go when short - term efficiency is achieved by well-meaning people making changes. The worst is when paper signoffs are eliminated and workings are on one of a bunch of different versions of excel spreadsheets floating around the network drive. New procedures are rarely agreed upon by stakeholders or signed off - they're often a series of screenshots in a word doc produced by someone with no technical writing experience.

Maybe the company needs to be dragged into the 21st century but I doubt you have the skill or experience to do it. Nothing you've written demonstrates you have.

Maybe the company needs to hire new staff to perform the workload. If the workload is unmanageable, something's got to give. From personal experience I'd sooner leave a job than tolerate a truly unmanageable workload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭foundation10

Move on, it sounds like you have landed yourself into an institutionalised team. You will not improve processes here as it sounds they are not open to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Leave, things won’t improve. There isn’t going to be even one ear open to you by the looks of things you’ll drive yourself demented if you stay.

On a side note to anyone on the opposite side to the OP... and I learned this... when a new person starts the temptation is to indoctrinate them into the team via procedure, mindset, attitude, expectations etc... instead though we as ‘experienced’ colleagues should be more open to the blank canvas and someone looking at what we all do through no filter and no bias.

Advertisement