Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New House - TV FTA and Sky

• 01-09-2019 7:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭

I know theres similar enough threads on this around the place but im a bit confused because they dont all appear to answer my questions when i go searching.

Current Setup
    I currently have a sky dish at the side of my house with just a single LNB. This is doing the sky box in the sitting room.

I have 6 other locations in the house prewired with shotgun co-ax. These are all wired back to one location

What i want to do
    I want to put saorview and FTA channels in the other 6 locations.
    I want to be able to tune them in on the tv as channels.

So i was gonna mount a saorview aerial at the side of the house also and run a co ax in from that to the centralised location and then split that signal over the 6 locations. That would give me the saorview.

I am wondering if i but an octo LNB on the sky dish can i then get free to air and distribute this to the invidual locations. Or am i better mounting a seperate dish for this? Can i then just split on co ax input from the FTA or do i need a feed for each one?

Was going to use these to split the signal. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Satellites-Satellite-Splitter-Aerial-Freeview-8-WAY/dp/B077DP3T28/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=tv+splitters+8+way&qid=1567357597&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Thanks and any help you can give me id appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Maybe something like this (only an example) is what you need, coupled with a suitable LNB, to distribute the Satellite (and aerial) signals to multiple locations.
    https://www.dipol.ie/multiswitch-signal-mrp-508-5-in-8-out-passive-terrestrial-tv-path.html

I don't use such a system so this is only a suggestion to you for investigation.

You cannot use a passive splitter on the signal from an LNB and retain the possibility of having concurrent independent viewing of channels at multiple tv points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Tefral wrote: »
    What i want to do
    I want to put saorview and FTA channels in the other 6 locations.
    I want to be able to tune them in on the tv as channels.

So i was gonna mount a saorview aerial at the side of the house also and run a co ax in from that to the centralised location and then split that signal over the 6 locations. That would give me the saorview.

I am wondering if i but an octo LNB on the sky dish can i then get free to air and distribute this to the invidual locations. Or am i better mounting a seperate dish for this? Can i then just split on co ax input from the FTA or do i need a feed for each one?

As Johnboy posted you cannot split a satellite signal but you can split the Saorview signal via a distribution amp. I think he was meant to link to something but forgot to add it.

The easiest option for you would be to replace the current single LNB for an Octo LNB. How old is your sky dish?

This octo is suitable for Sky dished fitted since mid 2009 (Mk.4 dishes).

You say you want to tune the channels on the TV, do you have a TV with built-in sat tuner? If not, a separate FTA sat receiver will be required.

Apologies, I forgot the link to a multiswitch (now corrected), which would take four inputs from a (quad or quatro - depends on multiswitch design) LNB plus the Aerial, and gives a number of outputs (example shows 8).

Here is a post with more details than I provided
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111147928&postcount=3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Tefral

The sky dish is less than a year old and we have the sky Q. for rooms that really are only empty until Xmas, i don't want to spring for the extra for the sky multiroom so want to make do with as must free to air as possible. I have a centralised server that holds movies and TV shows etc so the demand for sky movies or anything like that is pretty low. Its really only for casual viewing of BBC etc.

So basically to do what i have to do:

1. Mount the Saorview Aeriel and cable into the centralised location. Split this then locally using an 8 way splitter and distrubute via one core of the shotgun co-ax.

2. Change the sky LNB to an Octo and run in 16 cables to the central location. Then use 8 of these cables to distribute the FTA to rooms via the other side of the shotgun.

3. Tune the tvs with a built in tuners and they should pick up the channels.

I have one question, can i put the saorview down the same as the FTA? the tv's i have only have one input.

The sky dish is less than a year old and we have the sky Q. for rooms that really are only empty until Xmas, i don't want to spring for the extra for the sky multiroom so want to make do with as must free to air as possible. I have a centralised server that holds movies and TV shows etc so the demand for sky movies or anything like that is pretty low. Its really only for casual viewing of BBC etc.

1. Mount the Saorview Aeriel and cable into the centralised location. Split this then locally using an 8 way splitter and distrubute via one core of the shotgun co-ax.

2. Change the sky LNB to an Octo and run in 16 cables to the central location. Then use 8 of these cables to distribute the FTA to rooms via the other side of the shotgun.

I have one question, can i put the saorview down the same as the FTA? the tv's i have only have one input.

That implies you do not have TVs with satellite tuners so there is no point in feeding them with a satellite signal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

You say you have SkyQ , a 2 output wideband LNB so, different tech to legacy LNBs used for Freesat/FTA receivers. To the best of my knowledge there is no octo LNBs compatible with SkyQ only 6 output Hybrid LNBs. The hybrid has 2 outputs for SkyQ and 4 for legacy receivers.

The 4 outputs could be used to feed a quad compatible multiswitch to feed multiple outputs, the Saorview signal can also be combined with the sat signal and fed down a single cable and split again at the TV point.

As pointed out above a single TV input means no satellite tuner built-in so a separate sat receiver would be required, terrestrial and satellite tuners are different but some TVs come with both,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

The Cush wrote: »
    The signal may not be good enough from the attic mounted aerial to be split 8 ways so a powered distribution amp might be required.

"So i was gonna mount a saorview aerial at the side of the house"

That is not an attic mounted aerial.

Advertisement