Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity bra shopping

Options
  • 01-09-2019 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering if anyone could recommend a shop for bra shopping? I'm bigger chested anyway so can't buy in dunnes or penneys before pregnancy nevermind now. Am willing to travel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Congratulations!

I could never buy in Dunnes or Penney's for the same reasons. M&S and Mothercare do good maternity bras, you can get the clippy strap ones, which are handy afterwards if you choose to breastfeed.

Both a bit pricier than Dunnes etc but I got 4 in total (different colours, style) and they lasted well, so a good investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

Debenhams or Shaws I found were best. They are really expensive especially the ones in Shaws but they are very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I would wait until you defiantly need to buy them... Invest in a few packs of bra extenders from Pennys instead...

Would be bigger also, and was so glad my friend told me about them saved a fortune. My boobs themselves still fitted in my old bras just needed a little extra on the back. And my milk didnt last for long or I never leaked or anything, so I waited until after i had to baby and nipped into Debs (they have a fairly crap range for the larger bust) but just picked up a double pack of the cheaper ones and the pricer ones done exactly the same thing And they suited.. I

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

Milly33 wrote: »
    I would wait until you defiantly need to buy them... Invest in a few packs of bra extenders from Pennys instead...

Would be bigger also, and was so glad my friend told me about them saved a fortune. My boobs themselves still fitted in my old bras just needed a little extra on the back. And my milk didnt last for long or I never leaked or anything, so I waited until after i had to baby and nipped into Debs (they have a fairly crap range for the larger bust) but just picked up a double pack of the cheaper ones and the pricer ones done exactly the same thing And they suited.. I

That's the thing, I've used the extenders and while they worked for a couple of weeks they just aren't working now. Cup size has def increased. 🙄 will head off Fri night to pick up a couple.

Ah sure go for them so, mind be prepared... I had the misbelief that people would be more helpfull but found them rather abrupt... Debanamas in Galway anywho, were like yeah they are there thats it, same with M&S actually I dont think they even had any...

Best of luck with finding one, let me know if you do :) would like know just incase the milk kicks in this time round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Maggiemay13

I went to both Debenhams and Marks and could not have felt more looked after. First baby, so was totally clueless. Both ladies were absolutely lovely. I hadn't realised that an under wire is a bit of a no-no in pregnancy. Anyway, comfort is everything. You won't know yourself once you've got a few new bras. (It's the little things, isn't it!).

Might be just the Galway stores they are fairly rubbish...Oh to have a cozy bra is key not to mind when pregnant...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

I went to both Debenhams and Marks and could not have felt more looked after. First baby, so was totally clueless. Both ladies were absolutely lovely. I hadn't realised that an under wire is a bit of a no-no in pregnancy. Anyway, comfort is everything. You won't know yourself once you've got a few new bras. (It's the little things, isn't it!).

I didnt know that about underwire bras!
    How are we meant to just, you know... know these things?!
    :eek:

mmm i think they mention it in a few of the books. The underwire is supposed to maybe block the flow of milk so it isnt recommended to wear and underwire bra if you plan on breast feeding....

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

I went to M&S Drogheda for a fitting and the lady there couldn’t have been more helpful.
    I’ve gone up a whole cup size so I’m glad I went.

I just got normal bras (though not underwired, as per her advice) in the correct size but she did show me all the nursing bras too for after.

The bras I got were only €22, and my god they’re so comfy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Change underwear do good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

Back with some feedback after your recommendations.
    I've purchased in both Mothercare and m and s and have found the m and s ones are better fitted in my opinion. They are much more comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

I bought in mothercare on my first, complete waste, rubbish Bras and wrong size (despite being fitted). Never again!

Went into arnotts after baby was born and was fitted the most perfect bra. If you're Dublin based, def go there. Highly recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

For those who are bigger busted I'd recommend non wired sports bras from M&S or similar. Comfy with lots of support.

Then get refitted once the baby arrives and your milk is in, if you're planning on nursing I'd recommend Bravado Nursing Bras, so comfortable. You'll get them online or in JoJoMamanBabe

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

I got one of these at the pregnancy and baby fair in the rds the other week and it seems great so far, really comfy! https://mumbabra.com/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Have to say M&S all the way here.I breastfed and they were brilliant.The only other thing I got were these night bras from mothercare that were brilliant for nightime wear.I used them because I leaked a lot on my second and the bed would be drenched (her feeding was a bit erratic) and I needed something to put breast pads into.Very, very comfy if you need something at night and dont want the usual tight bra fit.

https://www.mothercare.ie/wrap-nursing-sleep-bras-2-pack.html

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Chelle_C

shesty wrote: »
    Have to say M&S all the way here.I breastfed and they were brilliant.The only other thing I got were these night bras from mothercare that were brilliant for nightime wear.I used them because I leaked a lot on my second and the bed would be drenched (her feeding was a bit erratic) and I needed something to put breast pads into.Very, very comfy if you need something at night and dont want the usual tight bra fit.

https://www.mothercare.ie/wrap-nursing-sleep-bras-2-pack.html

Thanks shesty, this is something I hadn't even thought of!
    Will add one to my list :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Ah I mean it's kind of hard to know!!I had the problem with my second because her feeding was a bit all over the place and i seemed to have huge amounts of milk leaking everywhere at night while she snored happily -i remember trying to pump at 2am one morning and nothing coming out, although I was bursting (feeding didn't work out with her past about 5 weeks), whereas my third was every two hours like clockwork and slept in between and I never had the bursting problem!!!Live and learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 pearlll

Bras are so sore lately... I'm going without!!! Wearing a supportive vest instead until I find one that's comfy. I must be widening also at my bust as the straps stick into me and hurt. Probably not good for my boobs letting them roam free but it's heaven!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 clarnimhurchu

I have to chime in here, even though the OP has bought some bras. I really recommend Molke, you need to buy from their website and to use their sizing guide. They are really comfortable, soft and supportive. Also, if you are buying new bras because you are a different size now (and you should because underwire is really bad during pregnancy), you will be twice the size a few days after baby is born! And you will probably stay big for several months. My size went down after my daughter started solids at 6 months, although I was still breastfeeding her a lot. So you will need some options for right after the birth, when it will be hard (or impossible) to get out of the house to a bra shop. I had the nighttime bras from Mothercare too, which were a lifesaver, not only at night, but staying around the house all day. But Molke bras are the business, truly!

• Advertisement
Advertisement